Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 12:54 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
All those negative consequences come from being late or missing a day?
They definitely can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 12:56 PM

772 posts, read 914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
You could just get a rental as well. Last time I had a car failure when I needed to be at work for a critical customer audit, I got a rental. Took all of 10 minutes to set up and they ran the car out to me too. Cost me under $50 for the day.

When you are caught in a crappy situation, you either complain about it, or make stuff happen.

which car rental company did you use ? maybe I will keep their number on hand for emergency's ..

the biggest selling point is they delivered the car ? that's nice of them.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:35 PM

291 posts, read 397,794 times
I believe it - i was car shopping for the past 1.5 weeks looking at everything from ford, honda, to lexus and infiniti. Even a CR-V is going to run you mid/upper 20's.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:50 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
People don't "plan" car emergencies. If a car needs maintenance and you schedule it to receive the maintenance, of course schedule a rental around that. If the car is frequently failing with no warning, that's an emergency and can result in the lost income.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:44 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You put it in a 1% interest online savings account and withdraw your payment every month. At the end of the loan you have earned interest on the savings and paid none on the loan. You win.
Or I pay off the 0% loan, and take the money that I have saved each month and put in a 3% blue chip dividend payer. Bigger win.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:47 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Yikes. No thanks. My car has been paid off for a year and I already can't see myself buying new again.
People used to make enough to pay cash for new cars or if necessary, might have to take out a 6 month to one year loan to pay the car off.

Ponder that. If you're one of the few whose brain and deduction skills still function that well.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:55 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
People used to make enough to pay cash for new cars or if necessary, might have to take out a 6 month to one year loan to pay the car off.

Ponder that. If you're one of the few whose brain and deduction skills still function that well.
Which shows how much purchasing power has eroded due to general inflation and more specifically inflation in this specific industry.

You can still find a reliable four door sedan for under $20,000. Like I said, try finding an SUV or light truck for anything close to what it was ten of fifteen years ago. They've gone up way more than inflation, and real purchasing power has barely increased, remained stagnant, or even decreased over the last generation or so depending on what data you're reading.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:53 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Or I pay off the 0% loan, and take the money that I have saved each month and put in a 3% blue chip dividend payer. Bigger win.
Or you invest the entire amount in your 3% blue chip at the beginning. Even bigger win, if the 3% assumption holds.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:19 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Yup. And for some of us the consequences of missing work or even being late are much more dire.

For a guy in the military, who can be called in on a moments notice, being late even once could cost him $50,000 (half pay for two months, and a reduction in rank that results in depressed total career earnings) and his freedom for two months.

Doesn't mean he needs a GT350 that he can afford insurance on after the car note is paid, but seeing as a car is all these young guys have, it's not unreasonable for them to have a nice car (and all their basic food, basic entertainment, and basic housing are covered).

For a doctor they could lose months of work if they are following a patient through their pregnancy and have car trouble when delivery time occurs, or things could go sideways and they could be unable to respond due to car failure (not much time to wait for an uber, and you can't live at the hospital whenever you have a soon to be mother in the delivery window).

And then the wage of a doctor, miss a morning and your panel will be pissed, or your ER will be stacked, or your surgery board will be shot, and you might just be out hundreds for being a few hours late.

Again, no need for a Lexus 600 series, a reliable accord will do the trick, but if you like driving you'll not be content even with the very impressive manual accord coupe V6, and it's only money, how much do you need in retirement?
Or you could just Uber it.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:41 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
They definitely can.

Seems extremely unlikely. Can you provide and resource that would back up your claims?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics