Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 08:06 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Most car loans are well below mortgage rates.
That may well be, but keep in mind --

Real property is nearly always an APPRECIATING asset.

Motor vehicles are always a DEPRECIATING liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 08:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I use a credit union, and it's been below 2%. Still, I put enough down to keep the loans under $20k now. Back in 1990 I bought a full sized Bronco and payments were $525. I make a lot more now but am also more sensible.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:12 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Most car loans are well below mortgage rates.

Isn't the rate per se, thing is you are paying *more* the longer repayment periods drag on. My example using a mortgage was at least their you are building equity (hopefully) that at some point will give returns on that investment. Paying off other sorts of credit over longer periods is again just a waste of money.

Each month as required by law credit card companies tell you how long it will take to repay balance to date if you make the minimum versus a certain amount. Depending upon the interest rate and balance owed the sooner things are paid off equals large to huge savings in interest.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:14 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Actually the quoted average is 4.5%.
OK fair enough, let's use that.
  • $30,000 loan @ 4.5% at 60 months
  • $3557 in interest over 60 months.
  • $60 in interest per month.

No one is committing financial suicide over $60 in interest a month.

Some interesting takeaways I personally have. I'm not sure if this is the article or not that mentioned it, but the automakers are saying more and more people are opting for the 'loaded' trim levels vs. bare bones these days. This shows a voluntary willingness to spend more money. This tells me more and more people are comfortable in their jobs to go out and purchase new cars, especially the more expensive varieties.

We need more consumer spending to kick start the economy into growing, these sort of news bites are good news not bad news. IMO.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Jamie Dimon just sounded the alarm on auto loans

I dont see a ton of new Mercedes and BMWs on the road, must be a lot of subprime borrowers making up the market here. Does not seem very healthy.

Come on up to NY, NJ, Conn area; plenty of new BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Infinity, Range Rover, Mini Cooper, Cadillac and so forth. Though what percentage of these vehicles are leased versus owned cannot say.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Jamie Dimon just sounded the alarm on auto loans

Not mentioned in the article, but the average loan for a new vehicle is now 68 months as well. 66 months for used vehicles.

Sounds like a lot of people make a lot of bad decisions to me. I dont see a ton of new Mercedes and BMWs on the road, must be a lot of subprime borrowers making up the market here. Does not seem very healthy.

Well this bit of news could explain why leasing has reached an all time high; nearly 31 percent of all new vehicle sales are leases. Auto Leasing Hits Highest Level on Record, Report Says | Edmunds.com

Old 06-03-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Some interesting takeaways I personally have. I'm not sure if this is the article or not that mentioned it, but the automakers are saying more and more people are opting for the 'loaded' trim levels vs. bare bones these days. This shows a voluntary willingness to spend more money. This tells me more and more people are comfortable in their jobs to go out and purchase new cars, especially the more expensive varieties.

We need more consumer spending to kick start the economy into growing, these sort of news bites are good news not bad news. IMO.

Current auto loan rates: Auto loan rates for Wednesday, June 1 - Bankrate.com

Savvy consumers aren't just looking at the "$60/per month" saved but the total amount over period of loan. More importantly what is the opportunity costs, that is would that three thousand some odd dollars be working for you better elsewhere; my guess is it would.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:34 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Current auto loan rates: Auto loan rates for Wednesday, June 1 - Bankrate.com

Savvy consumers aren't just looking at the "$60/per month" saved but the total amount over period of loan. More importantly what is the opportunity costs, that is would that three thousand some odd dollars be working for you better elsewhere; my guess is it would.
You're nuts. The lost opportunity cost is the $30,000 spent on the car not the piddly amount of interest paid on it. You guys are focusing on the wrong things.

I don't buy expensive cars because they don't make me money.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If people want to borrow $30K for a car and make $500 payments for 5.5 years I don't care.

In another thread, some people were wondering how people get to age 60 with zero savings.

Car payments like that might have something to do with it.
LOL LOL very good point. The government had better think twice before trying to get the rest of us to bail these jackasses out again. 30K...a six year effing car loan?

Old 06-03-2016, 10:47 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:

That's exactly the situation I'm in, down to the interest rate.

No, no one is committing suicide over the interest, but the payment is $10k in pre tax income. That's crippling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics