Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 08:09 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times

Advertisements

Let me share a story of how "the other half" makes ends meet.

I'm 66 years of age, started Social Security six weeks ago; worked a lot of years at a lot of jobs, have paid off most of a house. some of which I rent out.

But I was one of those caught in the Great Recession of 2008, when my employer (DHL) ceased domestic operations; spent most of the next three years at a variety of jobs, including the 2010 Census, and was never without an Unemployment check when I needed it.

And like a lot of mature adults. I filled out things during the summer months with a job at a theme park, at minimum wage.

Eventually, the economy recovered, and I hired on again, in a fast-pace warehouse, with a very diverse group of people, and we made it work until a few months beyond my normal retirement date. And, for want of something to do, I went back to the theme park for the summer.

But the economy is quite a bit healthier than it was six years ago; good help is harder to find, so this week, all of us who stayed with the park through the lean times got a 12% pay increase.

The point I seek to make here is that most of us "on the outside" of the prime workforce -- students, retirees. "trailing spouses", and all the rest -- still have to be remembered when the economy recovers after a long weak spell.

We are the polar opposite of the recent graduates in their prime -- not likely to be offered high salaries (and very high demands, and a constant supply of time-consuming work well below our potential), but when the economy recovers, we need to be remembered just like everyone else.

This is daily, weekly, monthly life in the REAL economy. Obviously, not everyone is going to be paid the "living" wage (to support a young, growing family) because not everyone has that family to support. Most employers know who can be motivated and who can't; who can still be relied upon when times are lean -- and who will "work the system", whining to the politicians for an easy way out.

It's always been this way -- always will be. Barring the natural risks of daily life, everyone gets by, and everyone who plays by the rules is protected. But it's a long way to the top, and most of us are sidelined into a position where we're considered "well-placed", while the string plays out.

It beats selling your soul to Big Brother/Sister.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-02-2016 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 01:58 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Thanks for sharing, but I am wondering what your point was?

Old 06-03-2016, 08:23 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Thanks for sharing, but I am wondering what your point was?
The point is, that except for the well-trained few whose skills are actually in demand, wages stagnate during economic slowdowns. Enterprises, large and small alike, respond to the demands of the market, and there is no huge vault full of "stolen" wealth to be redistributed. Eventually, however, the economy recovers, and the little guys and gals down in the trenches catch up enough to keep up with inflation. But if you want a serious raise, you'ld better have something to sell. (and be prepared to "jump through a few hoops" every now and then).

Old 06-03-2016, 11:10 AM

10,062 posts, read 7,229,638 times
So was your point to complain about a minimum wage increase?

Old 06-03-2016, 12:57 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The point is, that except for the well-trained few whose skills are actually in demand, wages stagnate during economic slowdowns. .............

The "well-trained few" you mentioned include many tens of millions of Americans with college degrees and/or technical training that is in demand. And the demand just keeps growing with an estimated 5 million jobs that are not filled due to lack of suitable candidates.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:01 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Thanks for the update, OP. I've followed your posts with interest.

You didn't mention that while most likely those on the living-wage bandwagon are young and healthy, you have physical challenges. I'm impressed that up until recently you were still doing warehouse work, as I know how hard that is.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:38 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The "well-trained few" you mentioned include many tens of millions of Americans with college degrees and/or technical training that is in demand. And the demand just keeps growing with an estimated 5 million jobs that are not filled due to lack of suitable candidates.
Can you please point me to this report?

Old 06-04-2016, 11:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Enterprises, large and small alike, respond to the demands of the market, and there is no huge vault full of "stolen" wealth to be redistributed.
Nobody said corporate cash was "Stolen." It was earned through profits. The question is where it goes.

It can go to a variety of things. Sometimes it is re-invested in vehicles, or buildings, or pencils, or real estate, or equipment, or etc.. Sometimes it goes to pay the CEO $55 million/year instead of $50 million/year. Sometimes it goes to shareholders. Sometimes it goes to workers in the form of wages or benefits.

Arguments for a "living wage" are to either encourage or to force employers to spend more on wages, and less on these other things. It's not about "redistributing stolen wealth."

Old 06-04-2016, 01:40 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
At 58 when getting laid off from a good job, it sounds like you kind of "ran out the clock" until you could retire with full social security. Which is certainly reasonable considering your age in 2008 and the economic conditions at the time and in the following years.

For a DHL lifer who was 5 to 20 years younger then you, the same scenario would probably be more devastating to their financial situation. Those younger then that range can more easily adapt to finding a new job, those older can retire more easily and are less likely to have kids/mortgages that they are responsible for.

Not sure what relation any of this has to do with a living wage though

Old 06-04-2016, 02:58 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
The point is, that except for the well-trained few whose skills are actually in demand, wages stagnate during economic slowdowns. Enterprises, large and small alike, respond to the demands of the market, and there is no huge vault full of "stolen" wealth to be redistributed. Eventually, however, the economy recovers, and the little guys and gals down in the trenches catch up enough to keep up with inflation. But if you want a serious raise, you'ld better have something to sell. (and be prepared to "jump through a few hoops" every now and then).
I am not sure that was his point but I agree with what you've said.

I am glad the OP made it to a decent retirement as I do remember reading his previous posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics