Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 09:33 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,773 times

Advertisements

Economic health has always been measured in industrial and agriculture output and probably along with other ways also. I'm no economic wiz but I know some of the basics. Now in this months Fortune magazine I read that 5 of Americas 7 most valuable companies do not manufacture anything. Those companies are Apple, Microsoft, Alphabet, Facebook, and Amazon. What puzzles me is when there is no tangible item that is being manufactured nothing can be bought and sold and so where does the flow of money go but into a few big companies where it accumulates instead of being filtered around into the pockets of workers and what they buy and spend their money on. It just doesn't add up. If those big 5 companies manufactured articles to be sold and traded I could see where it would add to the economic health of this country. Maybe I am missing something. If so fill me in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 10:16 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Yup, you are missing something. Lets take a look at google, and why its insanely valuable despite not producing anything.

Times have changed. Production is often multiplied by productivity enhancers. Google provides this in spades. Additionally its widely suspected that Google is very close to creating human level AI's. And thats what most of these big companies are-they are productivity multipliers.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Economic health has always been measured in industrial and agriculture output and probably along with other ways also. I'm no economic wiz but I know some of the basics. Now in this months Fortune magazine I read that 5 of Americas 7 most valuable companies do not manufacture anything. Those companies are Apple, Microsoft, Alphabet, Facebook, and Amazon. What puzzles me is when there is no tangible item that is being manufactured nothing can be bought and sold and so where does the flow of money go but into a few big companies where it accumulates instead of being filtered around into the pockets of workers and what they buy and spend their money on. It just doesn't add up. If those big 5 companies manufactured articles to be sold and traded I could see where it would add to the economic health of this country. Maybe I am missing something. If so fill me in.
Well a company doesn't necessarily need to produce a physical product to sell. A service or information/data can be just as important to other companies as a actual item. Sometimes even more so.

Ok take Facebook (which I personally detest)
You go on there and you put all your personal info for all/some to see. Now as soon as you post pics or info on Facebook they CAN take all your information which most likely becomes THEIR property (if you bother to read the long disclaimer when you first sign up ")
So now what do you think it's worth yo a company you know you like say Nike or Ford or Carhartts jackets. Do you think they can follow you around when you we surf to try to entice you into buying something? Maybe they can send direct emails prompting specials or coupons. Do you think that a company knifing they gave 30 million people wanting to buy their items could have a decision on them raising or lowering prices? Maybe offering discounts? Finding out WHERE their sales are weak?
Knowing what a certain person likes to shop for is invaluable to OTHER companies.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:58 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
What puzzles me is when there is no tangible item that is being manufactured nothing can be bought and sold and so where does the flow of money go but into a few big companies where it accumulates instead of being filtered around into the pockets of workers and what they buy and spend their money on.
It isn't the lack of manufacturing. It's high profits with little payroll. It's part of what is causing the huge wealth/income disparity, and basically undermining consumer capitalism. The "investor class" gets rich but jobs and wages are lacking.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:08 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Economic health has always been measured in industrial and agriculture output
Tell that to strong service based economies like Singapore and Hong Kong. Meanwhile examples of countries with a relatively high proportion of their economy based on agriculture and industry are Guinea, Indonesia, and North Korea.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:08 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
I was under the impression that the bulk of Apple's revenue came from manufacturing and selling tangible products.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:25 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
I believe the OP has a good point. In former times, the biggest companies typically employed the most people: US Steel, GM, GE, etc. They were huge organizations and rivaled militaries in their complexity. It took layers and layers of control and authority, sometimes too many layers, to manage them. They employed all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds ranging from Ivy League graduates to cotton pickers. Engineers, metallurgists, tradesmen, laborers all had their roles.

Managing them took the greatest skill of the best trained minds in America.

It's not like that with Apple, Google, etc. They have a small core of computer programmers at the top. They invented or developed the code that is the company's product. Then they have a larger level of programmers who add bells and whistles. They also have ancillary functions that handle financial and legal affairs.

Most everyone in these companies tends to be educated the same. Few skills are needed and only the sliver of the workforce that has them is employed.

What the new titans produce compared to their predecessors seems trivial. Parking lots aren't full of it. Hardly anyone has an uncle who had a hand in making it and no one got a huge set of biceps from working there.

I don't know if it's better to have Google than a shiny Buick in the driveway but the economists have ways of telling you it is.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:58 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Why is this a problem? There is no money in manufacturing things, so US corporations have moved on.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:29 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
There is a disconnect between what FaceBook offers and the income that they receive.

FaceBook sells advert space just like the TV networks and radio stations and newspapers and magazines. Ford buys advert space and then people go out and buy Fords. But which advert sent them to Ford? Hard to tell.

As long as people waste hours of their lives looking at FaceBook, the advert revenue will continue to roll in. It will only drop once a newer advert platform comes along that displaces FaceBook. It will be a long slow decline just like what is happening to the newspaper industry today.

So, yeah, FaceBook doesn't build anything but an advert platform. No one is going to pay for Stupid Cat videos.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:55 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
There is huge amount of value with those companies, not typically added into GDP for example. Aside from all the real dollars that they do add selling their respective services.

As a result of those companies our standard of living is perceptibly raised. Huge value, but how to quantify it?

Microsoft lets me play my games. Huge value, but how to quantify?

Apple lets my wife instantly communicate with me, our kids and friends. Huge value, but how to quantify?

Amazon saves me good money almost every week. Savings is value. Preserves my wealth. And I can then spend it on other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics