Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 09:42 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I think that's pretty typical. And probably none of you are walking way with enough funds to buy a home outright.

Since only 64% of Americans own (1/3 of those are mortgage free) as opposed to rent and among seniors who own homes 40% are carrying mortgage debt, there aren't many who will inherit homes free and clear.
I didn't realize so many seniors rent. Times are changing.

Retirement living: Renters are outpacing homeowners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 09:45 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
It's frequently not a matter of settling. I'd love to own the small 3 bedroom 1.5 bath house my grandparents owned. But, I can't because it's current value is 1.3 million dollars. When they died, the house was inherited by their 5 kids and had to be sold because no one could afford to keep it. Some homes owned by parents or grandparents appreciate to the point where they are unaffordable for later generations. The cost of maintaining an old home is impossible for some as are taxes in some areas.
Bay Area?

Old 06-19-2016, 10:04 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
The better question is why would anyone with any financial aptitude want to have equity sitting in a highly illiquid asset when the government has provided a highly advantaged process of having your cake and eating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
We've been over this already and it's beside the point in many (most?) cases where the option doesn't exist to own a home outright because the net worth isn't high enough.
Try this:
Build a house.
15 year mortgage.
Rent it out.
15 years later the tenants will have paid off the mortgage, so your investment is zero.
But now you own the house.
Move in.

So, now our person with a low paying job (but good credit) has figured out a way to own a home outright without earning enough money to pay for it.

We actually did that with 2 town houses. We didn't move in, though. We have been taking money out of those properties for about 15 years (they are 30 years old) and will continue for another 20 years.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Try this:
Build a house.
15 year mortgage.
Rent it out.
15 years later the tenants will have paid off the mortgage, so your investment is zero.
But now you own the house.
Move in.

So, now our person with a low paying job (but good credit) has figured out a way to own a home outright without earning enough money to pay for it.

We actually did that with 2 town houses. We didn't move in, though. We have been taking money out of those properties for about 15 years (they are 30 years old) and will continue for another 20 years.
Too bad decaying 2 bedrooms here cost 800,000.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:36 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Houses haven't gone up in "value". A place to live in 50 years ago is still a place to live in today. A dollar has become worth less over time. Hopefully we can get some leadership in the White House and Congress before it becomes worthless.
Most 3BR homes today will be more energy efficient, roomier, and have far more features than one 50 years ago. It has more value.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Most 3BR homes today will be more energy efficient, roomier, and have far more features than one 50 years ago. It has more value.
Yet 50 year old homes in the bay area are worth more than the biggest of mcmansions everywhere else.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Yet 50 year old homes in the bay area are worth more than the biggest of mcmansions everywhere else.
Because they're McMansions. That's not a fair comparison.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Because they're McMansions. That's not a fair comparison.
McMansion is my general term for "big new house"

Old 06-20-2016, 01:04 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If someone has a net worth of $200, they aren't going to be in a position to own a home outright (except perhaps in Detroit? or with massive student loans from med school?)
Home equity is not counted as part of a person's net worth.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:11 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanboots View Post
Heck be nice if they will build a home for everybody family their is, but we all know that wont happen. I see so many homes that are boarded up, broken down due to neglect.. Why not just let a person come in and fix it and live in it rent/mortgage free. After all the county/state not making any money on it when its just sitting their. We have a housing problem, and no family should be renting from the MAN because of the RED tape and other obstruction to prevent a person getting a home.

What does having 6 years of taxes, 2 years of paystubs have to do with buying a home, and have a decent rate of 500 a month.. Honestly, if i had a house payment for 500 a month, i would not leave for nothing, and will it to the kids..
Because squatters don't fix a house, they just trash it. If they can't pay rent, what makes you think they can foot the bill for home improvements? "Fixing it up" requires resources, skill and craftsmanship, which few people have any more. If you want to own a house, buy it. There are a lot of broken down, uninhabitable houses in this country that you can have for a song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics