Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2016, 05:06 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,860,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I am physics grad student and have been saying so for many years,
And yet you could not figure out how to have a paid off house and a $200 net worth. I thought physics involved at least basic math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 08:56 AM

18,487 posts, read 15,447,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
And yet you could not figure out how to have a paid off house and a $200 net worth. I thought physics involved at least basic math.
Oh really? This is what I said at the very beginning of this discussion:

Quote:
If someone has a net worth of $200, they aren't going to be in a position to own a home outright (except perhaps in Detroit? or with massive student loans from med school?)
I gave two scenarios in which this could happen, asking if this is what you meant. You ignored it, so I assumed you were discussing more "typical" scenarios with house values in the 6-figures and limited unsecured debt.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:09 AM

32,502 posts, read 47,500,455 times
Quote:
....... Or you could simply believe me, that it is not a homework or take-home problem.
I'm perfectly happy to believe you. Or at least be indifferent to whatever you claim to be true. It's the internet after all.

What you need to understand is that you are not important enough for anyone to remember that you have claimed to be a physics grad student on many occasions over many years. No one remembers because no one cares. No one knows that your school doesn't offer summer courses, because most colleges (and high schools) do offer summer courses, so no reason to realize that your particular school is special.

The only thing I ever remember about you is that you are argumentative and you have a very bizarre position on economics which looks suspiciously like you have no real world experience, but have that sophomoric belief that you are brilliant. I suppose time will cure that.

Now, you are thinking that I am being exceptionally rude, but the reality is that I am giving you valuable life advice and it will make your life easier over the years if you absorb it, or at the very minimum consider it very carefully. I don't bear you any ill will and I'd be just as happy if you make a huge success of your life, but honestly, you ask questions like the OP and you appear to be about 14 years old and still thinking that the world will support you like your parents still do.

If you are a physics grad student, you are very smart, but you do not appear to be engaging your brain which is why you get the sort of answers you are receiving, tinged with disbelief.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm perfectly happy to believe you. Or at least be indifferent to whatever you claim to be true. It's the internet after all.

What you need to understand is that you are not important enough for anyone to remember that you have claimed to be a physics grad student on many occasions over many years. No one remembers because no one cares. No one knows that your school doesn't offer summer courses, because most colleges (and high schools) do offer summer courses, so no reason to realize that your particular school is special.

The only thing I ever remember about you is that you are argumentative and you have a very bizarre position on economics which looks suspiciously like you have no real world experience, but have that sophomoric belief that you are brilliant. I suppose time will cure that.

Now, you are thinking that I am being exceptionally rude, but the reality is that I am giving you valuable life advice and it will make your life easier over the years if you absorb it, or at the very minimum consider it very carefully. I don't bear you any ill will and I'd be just as happy if you make a huge success of your life, but honestly, you ask questions like the OP and you appear to be about 14 years old and still thinking that the world will support you like your parents still do.

If you are a physics grad student, you are very smart, but you do not appear to be engaging your brain which is why you get the sort of answers you are receiving, tinged with disbelief.
Instead of trying to psychoanalyze me, perhaps you can address the subject matter? And I never argued I was entitled to the world supporting me. I don't know where you're getting this stuff. That's like saying that the author of a newspaper article asking about high healthcare costs must think that the world owes them free healthcare. Geesh!

What have we come to, if you can't ask about the causes of anything without being assumed to know nothing or think the world owes you everything? Can we not have real discussion anymore???

Old 07-04-2016, 10:14 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,698,521 times
Quote:
Instead of trying to psychoanalyze me, perhaps you can address the subject matter? And I never argued I was entitled to the world supporting me. I don't know where you're getting this stuff. That's like saying that the author of a newspaper article asking about high healthcare costs must think that the world owes them free healthcare. Geesh!

What have we come to, if you can't ask about the causes of anything without being assumed to know nothing or think the world owes you everything? Can we not have real discussion anymore???
Maybe you're so used to living in poverty you don't know the joys of owning. I bet you have sub 5 figures of net worth

Old 07-04-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Maybe you're so used to living in poverty you don't know the joys of owning. I bet you have sub 5 figures of net worth
You are wrong. Guess again.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
If someone has a net worth of $200, they aren't going to be in a position to own a home outright (except perhaps in Detroit? or with massive student loans from med school?)
I responded to your absurd statement with a typical account of how a person can have a paid off home and only $200 net worth. It is you that chose to ignore.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
I responded to your absurd statement with a typical account of how a person can have a paid off home and only $200 net worth. It is you that chose to ignore.
And then tried to downplay my knowledge by saying I didn't come up with any such scenarios, which is false. Next non-productive comment please?

Old 07-05-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Ok, explain how you get A -L = $200 on a paid for house.
Duh?

Old 07-05-2016, 05:03 PM

32,502 posts, read 47,500,455 times
Quote:
....... perhaps you can address the subject matter?.......
Well, all right, then.

The value of a house is a combination of the value of the labor it takes to produce it and the scarcity value of the land it sits on. By value of the labor, I mean all of the labor; the guy who digs out the iron, the guy who drives the truck, the guy who repairs the truck, the foundry worker who turns the ore into nails, the guy who delivers the nails to the store, the clerk who sells the nails, the carpenter who pounds in the nails, the supervisor who watches the carpenter, ditto for all the wood, concrete, insulation wiring, and on and on.

Scarcity of land valuation is supply and demand.

The house is only paid for once. After that each new buyer is re-paying the original purchaser for his investment. The guy who wants to move away doesn't give the house for free because it has already been paid for. He wants his money back out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics