Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 04:44 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
Who's the idiot? Someone who doesn't understand that ID stands for Identification? Oh wait! You were INSULTING me. I get it.

I also predict that this post will one day not be visible since it will be an "orphan." Do I need to explain that to you? No problem if you need that.

Why do I need to supply you with calculations? There is a perfectly good calculation above that you seemed to have missed that mathjak posted. How many do you need?
Oops, should have cut and pasted. I thought it was idiotTV. Because people that watch a lot of TV are usually idiots. I did not see any MJ math that proved that leverage magnifies losses. Maybe it got orphaned.

So, let's see some calculations to support your claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 07:04 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
But now you've changed your story to leverage makes losses LOUDER?!?!
Everybody knows that. Sometimes, I have to wear earplugs.

Three posts in a row .... someone is getting desperate for attention ....

You might need a hug.
................................ anyone? .... anyone? ( It's certainly not going to be me. )

I will say that you sure know how to use a text editor. It's a skill sorely lacking by most posters here, so unlike you calling me an idiot, I'll not say that about you. Of course, I would never do that anyway. I handle myself with decorum. Having skills with a text editor, unfortunately, have nothing to do with being able to move around in civilized society. < Snort! >

Old 07-14-2016, 07:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I own many homes outright. I haven't had a mortgage since 1998. The last 5 homes I didn't bother with a mortgage. I haven't sold a home in 25 years.

I believe people should make money the old-fashioned way, by EARNING it.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:21 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How's YOUR magazine selling going these days?

Old 07-15-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Who doesn't? ( besides politicians, crony capitalists, and labor leaders ) Why was this posted?

Old 07-15-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post

Who's the idiot? Someone who doesn't understand that math behaves the same on either side of the number zero. Leverage amplifies both losses and gains. ....

2 times -2 equals -4 and 2 times 2 equals +4.

( I put a '+' sign there since I know your math skills are a little sketchy ... )
Well obviously you since all you are doing is posting random numbers. You have FAILED to show how LEVERAGE magnifies/amplifies gains or losses. Please retract your incorrect statement.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:21 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
How's YOUR magazine selling going these days?

I'm selling everything I can get listed, and prices realized these days are excellent.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Please retract your incorrect statement.
Do you mean the one where I correctly stated that leverage magnifies losses exactly the same as gains?

I refuse to retract it since that statement is correct. You are wrong.

Using a mortgage to buy property and borrowing money to buy stock ( or any other asset ) is EXACTLY the same. You are borrowing money to buy an asset. There's no difference at all.

Since your only response seems to be violating the TOS by referring to me as idiotheft5 I have to assume that you are unable to understand the concept of leverage. ncole1 and mathjak have both tried to explain it to you also, but you didn't resort to insulting them. Why was that? If you are unable to think of some insulting ways of altering their monikers, let me know. I might be able to help

Last edited by IDtheftV; 07-16-2016 at 01:17 AM..

Old 07-16-2016, 01:13 AM

[quote=IDtheftV;44711501]For real estate, leverage also magnifies the losses.

[quote]

That is not the same thing you said here. FAIL

Old 07-16-2016, 01:16 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Homes built in the last 20+ years are NOT made to last 120 years. I think most contractors would admit to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics