Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 01:47 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
when are you guys going to buy? wait a couple days and see? a week two weeks? already did on Friday?
My uneducated guess is that we'll find the bottom of the Brexit drop by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. The losses today were about half as bad as Friday. I'm betting they drop again tomorrow by a smaller percentage then go sideways for a while waiting for the next shoe to fall.

I'm going to buy tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 02:28 PM

645 posts, read 706,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
My uneducated guess is that we'll find the bottom of the Brexit drop by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. The losses today were about half as bad as Friday. I'm betting they drop again tomorrow by a smaller percentage then go sideways for a while waiting for the next shoe to fall.

I'm going to buy tomorrow.

yeah worldwide it dropped again today...good guess, I think I will buy a little bit here and there for the next several days. but for long term I guess you can't go wrong with that. (buying international index funds, DOW still seems pretty high)

Old 06-27-2016, 03:46 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
The investor know that there will be a market in the UK to make money so I do not believe that the investors will abandon the country

Old 06-27-2016, 04:07 PM

14 posts, read 10,335 times
Only thing certain is that volatility is here to stay. Impossible to gauge how markets will fare. It is an over reaction to Brexit only if you don't take into account that markets worldwide have been hyped up for a long time by continuous QE.

This means contagion is always possible because of cascading margin calls by folks everywhere who leveraged their stock purchases. This is for the most part, a speculators market because real worth couldn't have disappeared overnight to the tune of $2 trillion otherwise!!!

Dip your toes into the murky waters if you dare but be careful of circling sharks which smell blood in the waters. Patience is a virtue to be practiced by those who are long-term investors in this particular case. You could very well lose some great bargains by waiting but then again you wouldn't be throwing up when the next slide hits.

It all depends on whether of not you have the stomach for huge price swings. Personally, I would only NIBBLE at stocks that I am comfortable to simply hold through another major slide.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:22 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times
Default did Brexit just trigger the start of a great depression?

I know that things are still in the unknown stage of what Brexit will bring to the world economy but it looks like a real big deal what is happening. Great depression on the way?

Old 06-28-2016, 01:01 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,555,945 times
Definitely hoping so!!

We'll finally catch a break.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:01 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,686,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Great depression on the way?
Stop listening to Marc Faber and Peter Schiff. They are dangerous to your investment decision making.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:45 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Sitting in the US, it merely cements Wall Street as the center of the financial universe and the US dollar as the dominant international currency. The UK is only 3% of world GDP. Their economy could tank 40% and it wouldn't impact the United States very much. The UK is also only 15% of Europe's GDP so a big trade slowdown between the UK and EU countries wouldn't change much there, either. It certainly makes Frankfurt more important as a financial center.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:35 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
I hope so! I'd love to see the Bay Area knocked off its pedestal or stocks to drop by half or more (even if that hurts me).

Old 06-28-2016, 03:57 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Brexit is a good thing.

It sent a clear message to the Elites that globalization does NOT mean that the working class takes the hit, while the Elites rack in the money.

When your the 1%, by definition, you exist through the good graces of the governed. I think the Elites, see the handwriting on the wall. You will see limits on immigration so working class wages will start rising again. I think you will also see more emphasis on equality of opportunity in society.

I suspect the Elites will still view themselves as citizens of Earth rather than national governments. But without control of national governments they have no power.

So all in all. A very good thing. The Elites ALWAYS do the right thing, when their backs are to the wall. Well, at least they have in western society. Let us hope they continue their rationale ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics