Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:00 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
ahh...3 banks failed in the US last year and one all ready this year.

http://www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/.../banklist.html
I said "big banks". If you add up the assets of every bank on that list I doubt you even come close to what say Washington Mutual or UBS have. We aren't talking about some small town bank here. They fail every year. We are talking about larger banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 02:07 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
No, it doesn't happen because it doesn't happen. When did I mention the government? Oh, that's right I didn't. However, you know the government would bail any large institution out. Just like they want to do with subprime stuff. This country has tied far too much to large corporations, not just banks. The economy needs to tank to wake people up. Propping it up with bandaids is not a long term solution.
Absolutely correct. Banks do not fail. The government will always bail them out. Except for NetBank. Which failed. And wasn't bailed out.

Netbank failed because of poorly-made mortgage loans. (See the Realty Times link below. Also see that people are pretty stupid, and had more money in the bank than what FDIC insured. 109 million dollars more, actually)

Realty Times - Real Estate News and Advice

www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/failed/index.html

Banks have already borrowed 50 Billion in the last few weeks.... try Googling that.

Reuters: US Bank failures set to rise (http://www.today.com/view/reuters-us-bank-failures-set-to-rise/id-1631454/ - broken link)

Ok. The link listed above says 50 to 150 banks are due to fail, each one worth only a "couple" of billion dollars.

Ok. Let's define "couple". Is couple 2? 3? Let's be safe and say three. Three sounds like a couple.

3 x 50 = 150 billion. 3 X 150 = 450 billion. So, that's between 150 - 450 billion gone in 2 years. YOWSA!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Absolutely correct. Banks do not fail. The government will always bail them out. Except for NetBank. Which failed. And wasn't bailed out.

Netbank failed because of poorly-made mortgage loans. (See the Realty Times link below. Also see that people are pretty stupid, and had more money in the bank than what FDIC insured. 109 million dollars more, actually)

Realty Times - Real Estate News and Advice

www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/failed/index.html

Banks have already borrowed 50 Billion in the last few weeks.... try Googling that.

Reuters: US Bank failures set to rise (http://www.today.com/view/reuters-us-bank-failures-set-to-rise/id-1631454/ - broken link)

Ok. The link listed above says 50 to 150 banks are due to fail, each one worth only a "couple" of billion dollars.

Ok. Let's define "couple". Is couple 2? 3? Let's be safe and say three. Three sounds like a couple.

3 x 50 = 150 billion. 3 X 150 = 450 billion. So, that's between 150 - 450 billion gone in 2 years. YOWSA!
That sounds really bad except when you consider that UBS alone has 2 trillion dollars in assets.

Financial Statements for UBS AG (USA) - Google Finance

By comparison NetBank had only $2.5 billion in assets when it failed. That is like 1/1000th of UBS.

Again i am not saying small banks won't fail, of course they will. The big ones though always get bailed out.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
That sounds really bad except when you consider that UBS alone has 2 trillion dollars in assets.

Financial Statements for UBS AG (USA) - Google Finance

By comparison NetBank had only $2.5 billion in assets when it failed. That is like 1/1000th of UBS.

Again i am not saying small banks won't fail, of course they will. The big ones though always get bailed out.
I thought UBS was headquartered in Switzerland. i.e. it's a Swiss bank. That link you posted is for UBS AG (USA) ...and their assets weren't 2 trillion. At least not what I saw. Maybe I read it wrong.

$2,484,235.00

Old 02-20-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I thought UBS was headquartered in Switzerland. i.e. it's a Swiss bank. That link you posted is for UBS AG (USA) ...and their assets weren't 2 trillion. At least not what I saw. Maybe I read it wrong.

$2,484,235.00

That's correct. Keep reading and you will see that those numbers are expressed in millions of dollars. So if their assets were 1 that would mean $1M. Assets of 2,484,235.00 is $2.484 Trillion. Just because they have a Swiss HQ does not mean they can't be traded in the US. Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank are other examples of International banks that trade on the NYSE.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:11 PM

Ah cool. Missed that. Thanks!

2.2662235 trillion bucks ain't shabby.

Guess they won't be on the "fail list". HA HA HA

Old 02-21-2008, 09:45 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,520 times
commerce is better than almost every bank out there

Old 02-21-2008, 11:08 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Washington Mutual and Commerce Bank.

WaMu- A whole mess of horror stories.

Commerce- nothing really outstanding except open 7 days a week.

Ooh, I'd better run out and max my two credit cards -- one from each of these banks. That way when they go under, I get all the stuff I bought for FREEEEEEEE...

(YES, I'm joking!)

But honestly, WaMu gave me a great credit card rate. Not that I use the card, but it's there for a complete emergency...

Old 02-21-2008, 11:16 AM

733 posts, read 4,654,352 times
What do you hear about Wells-Fargo?

I understand they now hold about $82 Billion in 2nd mortgages which are now essentially unsecured due to declining real estate values. A 1st mortgagee at least can recoup some portion of a bad loan. If there's nothing left for the 2nd mortgagee, well, W-F may be in some significant pain.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:24 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,991 times
Wasn't NetBank a recent startup "online" bank? I would only use an online savings that was backed by a mega bank (HSBC Direct) and would definitely keep my deposits under the FDIC limit no matter what bank it was!

I am not worried about a major bank failing - I agree that the government wouldn't let it happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics