Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 07:50 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Finding bargains is a hobby with many people, often those who have ample funds but enjoy the hunt.
Not only that. I don't enjoy being ripped off. I am not a poor person by any means but still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 08:15 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Things will look much better for Macy's after they close these stores. Macy's are partly to blame as their stores are a dirty mess with lousy customer service and have been for quite some time. Their men's departments look like a hurricane hit them.
I've NEVER been to a Macy's store anywhere that was a dirty mess! To the contrary, they're so well-designed and maintained, the displays are a pleasure to stroll through. If you want to see a dirty mess, walk into Penny's on a bad day, or a Dillard's on any day. I read on the West VA forum that they're only closing stores in marginal areas, and areas where there are too many stores. You'd be surprised how many people depend on Macy's in states or cities where the only other choices are cr@p. Macy's not only does a good job of staying current and fashionable, their quality and prices--all those reduced-price sales!--can't be beat. Some of their locations have had to cut back on service personnel, but there is still service when you need it.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:33 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've NEVER been to a Macy's store anywhere that was a dirty mess! To the contrary, they're so well-designed and maintained, the displays are a pleasure to stroll through. If you want to see a dirty mess, walk into Penny's on a bad day, or a Dillard's on any day. I read on the West VA forum that they're only closing stores in marginal areas, and areas where there are too many stores. You'd be surprised how many people depend on Macy's in states or cities where the only other choices are cr@p. Macy's not only does a good job of staying current and fashionable, their quality and prices--all those reduced-price sales!--can't be beat. Some of their locations have had to cut back on service personnel, but there is still service when you need it.
How messy they are varies from store to store, and depends on the store manager. Many stores have reduced staffing so much, that things just collect and collect, and nothing gets cleaned and put away.

Many Macy's stores are horrible places to work, so the cycling of employees does not benefit the store at all. Impossible goals set by corporate, and cliquish type atmosphere with fraternizing between managers and favored employees, just drives out people who do not fit in the clique.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
How messy they are varies from store to store, and depends on the store manager. Many stores have reduced staffing so much, that things just collect and collect, and nothing gets cleaned and put away.

Many Macy's stores are horrible places to work, so the cycling of employees does not benefit the store at all.
I have recounted my own horrible experience as a temporary holiday worker at their White Plains store in during the Christmas 1975 season. I was approached by a scary-looking person quite a bit bigger than me. He demanded money "to get his car started." The store was almost empty of customers and employees because it was snowing. So I gave the hoodlum about $3 or $5 from my own wallet and not from the register. I promptly reported the matter to store security; and was fired the next day for "endangering Macy's."

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Impossible goals set by corporate, and cliquish type atmosphere with fraternizing between managers and favored employees, just drives out people who do not fit in the clique.
Those problems are not unique to Macy's. They happened at the last law firm at which I was employed. Sometimes papers I wrote were corrected and I input the correction and the next draft was corrected back to what I had written. And the people who survived the incessant cuts were similarly in a clique.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:06 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
when i get a marketing call I often sing the Star Spangled Banner. Trust me, my singing voice is not good.
All four verses?

Old 08-21-2016, 03:17 PM

551 posts, read 582,903 times
Macy's where I live is a nice store, clean and pretty well-organized, but always empty of customers. The parking lot is THE place to park because if it's freezing or sweltering (usually is one of those where I'm at) you can get very close parking. The store is expensive. I've purchased things a handful of times, typically deeply clearanced going-out-of-season items. Otherwise even with coupons it's just too pricey- jeans for $120, tops for $55 - these are sale prices apparently. I find most of my wardrobe at places like TJ Maxx - name brand (if you like that stuff, I don't care about name, but quality) for much cheaper. Just requires a little digging, but the hunt is what I'm all about!

I digress.. I'm really more surprised it's taken this long for Macy's to have issues. Local store that's been open for at least ten years has ALWAYS been dead.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
All four verses?
Even my wife won't tolerate more than a few lines of my singing.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:05 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've been to Macy's in at least 5 states in the last 2 years. Each store was very different. Some stories are very neat, tidy, and organized. Others look like a flipping tornado just came through and the hunt for survivors is on. Same with JCPenney and Dillard's. Dillard's and even more so Belk I find to look like management gives a care.

I find many of the clothes at Macy's to look like they're either for 90 year women in the 1980's - helllllllo Golden Girls!!! We found Blanche! - or they're trying to get 15 year olds to dress like stripers. Very inconsistent. Most department stores of this size tend to be inconsistent. They're trying to fill 57 niches and can't do a single one well. It's better to focus on 2 or 3 and do them phenomenally well than try to be everything to everybody and fail miserably. It's Macy's not WalMart.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:32 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Things will look much better for Macy's after they close these stores. Macy's are partly to blame as their stores are a dirty mess with lousy customer service and have been for quite some time. Their men's departments look like a hurricane hit them.
This is what happens when you have TOO MANY clothes on the sales floor and not enough clerks to keep things tidy. Stacks and stacks of the same item is overkill.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:53 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I've been to Macy's in at least 5 states in the last 2 years. Each store was very different. Some stories are very neat, tidy, and organized. Others look like a flipping tornado just came through and the hunt for survivors is on. Same with JCPenney and Dillard's. Dillard's and even more so Belk I find to look like management gives a care.

I find many of the clothes at Macy's to look like they're either for 90 year women in the 1980's - helllllllo Golden Girls!!! We found Blanche! - or they're trying to get 15 year olds to dress like stripers. Very inconsistent. Most department stores of this size tend to be inconsistent. They're trying to fill 57 niches and can't do a single one well. It's better to focus on 2 or 3 and do them phenomenally well than try to be everything to everybody and fail miserably. It's Macy's not WalMart.
Very interesting. What you say about Macy's women's fashion is how I describe Dillard's in my state. Macy's is all we have for anything resembling normal, up-to-date fashion at a good price. They did recently cut back on their "classic" styles (what all age groups used for office wear) to emphasize the "youth" market, with what looks like cheap Chinese cr@p, so I've been shopping at the Macy's in California, on my trips there, or at Macy's online. They sell good quality at very good prices, if you wait for their regularly-scheduled sales and clearances. I've been in our local Penny's when that tornado effect has hit the men's department. Penny's and Dillard's seem to market to passing fads, nothing more.

I hope their selective store closures/reorganization, whatever the process is, allows them to survive and thrive. I depend on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics