Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
the biggest problem with malls is once you've seen one you pretty much have seen them all, they all look and smell, and sound the same.you can video record 30 malls across the country splice the videos together and you would think they are from the same mall!!!
Very true! And what exactly IS that smell? So many malls have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 11:11 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Macy's tries to be all things to all people. That's not a successful business model in today's retail scene unless you are online and will deliver to a shopper who never leaves the house.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Best thing that could happen to Macy's would be to see either Sears or JC Penney fail. Sears might not be around in another 2 years. Then Macy's can grab some market share.
Sears and Penneys don't compare to Macy's. They don't have the quality merchandise or the good brands that Macy's has.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:01 AM

366 posts, read 493,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

The ignorance here is astounding.
Welcome to city-data.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Best thing that could happen to Macy's would be to see either Sears or JC Penney fail. Sears might not be around in another 2 years. Then Macy's can grab some market share.
What is this Sears thing you speak of? LOL!

Old 08-17-2016, 02:14 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I'd rather go to the mall than stand in line at the UPS or post office mailing back something that doesn't fit. Plus, often the quality of on-line clothes isn't all that good.

You must be buying some bootleg crap then. If it is a brand that has a history of quality, you will pay for it. Just like in a brick and mortar store.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:50 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Macy's could go under tomorrow and I wouldn't notice.
LOL, same here. I've bought a handful of items from Macy's over the past few years, but in general I find them to be overpriced and the selection is not great, in spite of the sheer amount of merchandise that is on display. The racks are often crowded and disorganized.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:45 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
Default Yet more bad news...

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You are correct. The democrats have done a wonderful job of decimating the middle class, along with the places those in the middle class shop, like department stores. This is just a continuation of the trend of fewer department stores that has been going on for the past thirty years.

OMG! The simplicity of the blame game as seen here is astounding!
e

Old 08-17-2016, 09:15 AM

We use to shop at Fields and the stores were clean, the displays were outstanding, the staff professional, then Macy's bought them. We found Macy's to be a large step down, trashy stores, a bunch of trashy inner city ghettos type associates, and a rather discount store type of feel to it. JC Penney seems on par now with Macy's, though Penney's men's clothing is a far better value and the stores are far cleaner, same with Kohl's, Carson's kicks Macy's ass in terms of customer experience.

The last time I went into Macy's to buy something the sales associate asked me if I needed some "halp" and I told him I wanted two men's white shirts and one light blue one, 16 inch neck, 32/33 sleeves, all oxford weave and button down collars and he hands me a short sleeve broad cloth shirt. After that I did nto even bother to describe the ties I wanted. I am a man, I don't shop I hunt. I already know what my quarry is and how much I am willing to pay for it. All I need you to do is get it for me: so know your merchandise and where it is located.

Now I use Macy's entrance to the mall because it has the fewest cars so I can get to Carson's or Penney's without getting cold. I try to ignore their ghetto associates who walk up and ask if I "need sum halp" or if there is anything I "want to ax them" while I remain conscious of what pocket my wallet is in.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:02 AM

510 posts, read 499,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I also think many of malls will go bust in the next downturn.

I like shopping in a mall but it seems people are moving away from this culture.

Very sad.
This is pretty much it. Malls are a dying breed. You're already seeing the dirt malls close up. The middle-range malls are on the fence (their saving grace is if they're the only mall around for 30 miles). High-end malls will hang around the longest, if ever die out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics