Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 12:32 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronizzle View Post
I just read through 26 pages of the OPs trolling. I love it. Makes me feel so smart and successful knowing there are complete idiots like this guy living like peasants.
As a peasant, I take solace in the reassurance that my plight isn't unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
So would the costs of branding, chaining, and beating them. Not to mention the costs of riding out to hunt down the ones who ran away.
Where's automation, when we most need it?

Old 10-10-2016, 12:38 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
If there'd been automation, the need for slaves would have been far lower.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:08 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How about "rent slaves are worse off today than they were in 1955."

For example, today, half of all low-income renters spend at least half their income for shelter, according to Mortgage News Daily. Renters in this country have never been financially distressed to a greater degree than they are today.

Most "rent slaves" like you have an income problem. It's not a "rent" problem.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use or property.

Owning is where you are the decider, plus you get all of the principal reduction and all of the appreciation.

That's not what renting has been for me for the last 30 years. It has allowed me to become completely financially independent. I can now do whatever I want. I invested the difference and enjoy a worry free lifestyle where my landlord takes care of everything. Off to Colorado this weekend. Last weekend it was New England. Costa Rica in Nov. and SE Asia this winter.

But I actually did something about my situation decades ago before it was too late and all I had left was to ***** on an internet forum. LOL.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:32 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
That's not what renting has been for me for the last 30 years. It has allowed me to become completely financially independent. I can now do whatever I want. I invested the difference and enjoy a worry free lifestyle where my landlord takes care of everything. Off to Colorado this weekend. Last weekend it was New England. Costa Rica in Nov. and SE Asia this winter.

But I actually did something about my situation decades ago before it was too late and all I had left was to ***** on an internet forum. LOL.
That has nothing to do about being a renter or a homeowner. That has to do with having a lot of money to be a world traveler. Normal people don't get to take two foreign trips in the last quarter of the year.

If you have money, it doesn't really matter whether you rent or own; your housing cost is a small percentage of your cash outflow. In that case renting is probably a better option or at least negligible in terms of your total costs.

For most people, owning is a better option because they are insulated from annual rent increases and home equity is the only investment they have. I don't know if you've noticed, but most parts of the country have seen rent increases in the last 3-5 years, of 30 to 100%. I thank God I bought 2.5 years ago, or I'd be paying $1200 for my house instead of $650. I now pay less per month for a house with a lot and a garage, then I paid for a 2br apartment 3 years ago. That was no luxury apartment either - it was the cheapest complex in the area with a lot of trashy drug users living in various units.

Canada is the best I'm going to get for foreign travel for the next few years.

*I'm not trying to defend Perma Bear's whining, though, which has gotten insufferable.* But things are usually not good for renters.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:47 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
That has nothing to do about being a renter or a homeowner. That has to do with having a lot of money to be a world traveler. Normal people don't get to take two foreign trips in the last quarter of the year.

If you have money, it doesn't really matter whether you rent or own; your housing cost is a small percentage of your cash outflow. In that case renting is probably a better option or at least negligible in terms of your total costs.

For most people, owning is a better option because they are insulated from annual rent increases and home equity is the only investment they have. I don't know if you've noticed, but most parts of the country have seen rent increases in the last 3-5 years, of 30 to 100%. I thank God I bought 2.5 years ago, or I'd be paying $1200 for my house instead of $650. I now pay less per month for a house with a lot and a garage, then I paid for a 2br apartment 3 years ago. That was no luxury apartment either - it was the cheapest complex in the area with a lot of trashy drug users living in various units.

*I'm not trying to defend Perma Bear's whining, though, which has gotten insufferable.* But things are usually not good for renters.
No one has sympathy for those in poverty struggling to make ends meet

Old 10-10-2016, 04:06 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I am 68. My parents and their friends were post WWII and paid $6000-7000. for their first homes.
I paid $34000. for my first home in 1972, and my husband made $8000 as a professional. My point is, it is all relative....more or less zeros, but it only matters that you are buying within your means.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

I can do the travel BECAUSE I rented....if I'd have owned, I may have not been able to...Actually, I am wayyyy ahead by renting and investing the difference. Of course, I've been doing it for a few decades. I could buy a couple of houses with the money I've saved by renting if I wanted to and still have oodles left over....You have to factor in the difference that could be invested as well as all the maintenance costs and taxes, etc...which most people seem to either forget about or underestimate....

I do understand, though, that for most, it's a lifestyle choice. I don't have a family so it's also a lifestyle choice for me...However, in the long run, as has been demonstrated many, many times, and considering only the financial implications, one is far ahead by renting and investing the difference in an index fund over time.

I totally understand why from a lifestyle perspective one would want to own. Particularly if one has a family or if one wants to ensure they can stay as long as they want, etc...

Also, I suppose most people don't have the discipline to invest the difference..so I understand...

Old 10-10-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
No one has sympathy for those in poverty struggling to make ends meet
I guess you haven't been reading his 27,000 plus posts. And he won't elaborate upon his health issues if he has any so one can only draw a logical conclusion....

Old 10-10-2016, 05:49 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I can do the travel BECAUSE I rented....if I'd have owned, I may have not been able to...Actually, I am wayyyy ahead by renting and investing the difference. Of course, I've been doing it for a few decades. I could buy a couple of houses with the money I've saved by renting if I wanted to and still have oodles left over....You have to factor in the difference that could be invested as well as all the maintenance costs and taxes, etc...which most people seem to either forget about or underestimate....
The buy-vs-rent debate is interminable. Accumulated evidence suggests that it's highly local. Perhaps in Perma Bear's local market, buying is favored; in Burkmere's it might be the reverse. In my own local market, rent tends to be substantially higher than mortgage payments, but properties don't enjoy much (or any) long-term appreciation. Property taxes are high, and the harsh climate makes maintenance expensive. This makes the buy-vs-rent tradeoff difficult and highly situational. Proud owners and disgruntled renters will agree that buying is superior. Long-term owners such as myself, who overbought and who never much cared for housing beyond its investment-value, tend to extol renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics