Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 10:17 AM

5,749 posts, read 10,350,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Over-regulation, high and overly complicated taxation..... just a few things that I think are contributing right now to the failing of the economy in general and businesses in particular.
Let's see if I can break this down...

Over-regulation, high and overly complicated taxation on corporations,

Specific examples? Corporations are the ones that get to take great advantage of this complicated tax system.

certain skilled jobs/trades not being trained for/offered in the educational system, trade barriers (in and out of the country).

Examples? Is it the training isn't there or the student/populace doesn't take advantage of the training?

trade barriers (in and out of the country) and 'outside' competition (which leads to consumers getting cheaper prices sometimes but often less durable goods in the end

It is a global economy. Workers can take advantage of this. Many consumers demand cheap products of low quality, they love Walmart.

greed and corruption (and unwieldiness/red tape/bloated requirements, etc.) at the highest levels in government and financial institutions,

Greed is human nature. Isn't that what that "overregulation" you want to get rid of (see above) is for? People that want to get things done, can get things done. Red tape doesn't stop everyone.

consumers lack 'choice' (forced now to take what the marketplace offers or no choice at all in many cases - this is backasswards in my opinion and ultimately it contributes to consumers purchasing less and complaining more),

Specific Examples? I agree re: healthcare. But I can still choose from 100 brands of toilet paper. Do you want more anti-monopoly product law - isn't that again "over-regulation"?

larger corporations often have very inefficient and ineffective processes/procedures (costs rise which is then passed on to consumers, etc.),

This will cut into their profits, market share, stock price - so they're financially incentivized to fix this. You can always shop somewhere else.

having to maintain more than one language for many customer services,

Equals more translator jobs.

cubicle-ization of workers who could contribute far more than they will ever get to,

You have a problem with cubicles? How do you know they can contribute far more?

the pressures of impending globalism and the importing/outsourcing of labour, t

And the foreign companies employing all those US workers

lack of real innovation (except perhaps in the IT industry where it has gone really wild but that isn't always a good thing -

Source? Our research institutions and capitalist markets produce some of the most innovative products in the world... Pharmaceuticals, Engineering, Entertainment industries....

the EPA >>>

You have a specific problem with the EPA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 01:06 PM

28,109 posts, read 63,506,475 times
This is why you need to be less dependent and cultivate multiple income streams.

Don't forget the three D's of job security... Dirty, Dangerous, Demeaning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty,..._and_demeaning

One of my long term friends with a high school education makes between 150 and 200k cleaning sewers...

He is a one man shop with a van and a couple of cable machines...

He is also a hardworking guy and I've called him to apartment buildings at 2 am on a Sunday morning...

One of the residents was complaining of the sewage smell and old Mike said it smells like money... all in your prospective.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:03 PM

11 posts, read 6,870 times
Other than by your own perception, is there any data or fact that support your points? Just curious.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:14 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,817,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
OpenMike in 2014:
With your permission I have to share my projections for 2015 and as the saying goes it ain't pretty! Being obnoxious and taking a negative position is way out of character for me so try not to get
your panties in a bunch!
1. Economic collapse of the international momentary system.
2. Largest market crash in US history
3. Attack on US soil by ISIS ( threats to leaders)
4. Pressure on Social Security ( US funding 50 billion yearly not
collected from payrolls)
5. Marshall Law

'Nuff said.
lieqiang shoots... lieqiang SCORES!!! AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!!

Old 10-19-2016, 06:19 PM

26,181 posts, read 21,462,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
OpenMike in 2014:

'Nuff said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
lieqiang shoots... lieqiang SCORES!!! AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!!

I agree completly brutal helmet to helmet contact

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 10-19-2016 at 06:33 PM..

Old 10-19-2016, 06:30 PM

4,224 posts, read 2,995,496 times
Foster Hewitt did it better.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:32 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,817,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Let's see if I can break this down...

Over-regulation, high and overly complicated taxation on corporations,

Specific examples? Corporations are the ones that get to take great advantage of this complicated tax system.
General Electric's Federal Income Tax Return exceeds 24,000 pages. Intel Corporation measures the size of its Federal Income Tax Return in feet (as in the stack of paper if printed). Corporations in the USA spend about $325 BILLION on Federal Income Tax compliance costs. That's $325 Billion just to fill out the damn paperwork, not the actual income tax obligation due. That's $325 Billion spent on tax attorneys and tax accountants and consultants that isn't being spent on, say, R&D or new product development.

Regardless of your beliefs regarding adequacy of total tax dollars collected from corporations, by every conceivable measure, the corporate income tax system is too complicated.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:35 PM

10,022 posts, read 7,178,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Yes, I am curious too. Our company grew almost three times its size over the last 6 years, and we just added 3000 new jobs. Employment rate is so low around here that we are having trouble finding production workers, and have to take job fairs to high schools. I get so many job offers as an engineer, I have had to block three agencies from my smartphone to prevent all the emails and voice-mails from clogging it up.
In reality, is it really that bad across the US, or are skill-sets just lacking, or just regional pockets of job-loss?? I hear that US is dying stuff all the time, but (and I will say this again later), everybody I know (worker buddies, acquaintances from work travels, all my friends and family from CA to NC) are full-time employed, and upgrading their skills and remodeling their housing or taking trips. Seems like people that may not have work for some reason or other simply regurgitate 'THE SKY IS FALLING' crap from the election forums. I won't say there aren't areas of despair, but I have yet to visit anywhere to validate that this is actually the case. Maybe I am isolated because virtually everybody I know is doing well, and I am constantly in traffic surrounded by new cars.
Whoop dee doo for you. Maybe for engineers things are better. C-D seems to be populated by practically every engineer in America that are all doing just peachy and are oh-so-eager to tell us how great they're doing.

Not everyone is falling into poverty, but for those of us who are not just like you, yes, it's not easy.

"Everyone you know" is, at most, 500 people, and not a representative sample.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:32 AM

4,224 posts, read 2,995,496 times
Representative samples themselves are of course doing reasonably well these days. Perhaps not yet as well as prior to the Great Recession, but with the political winds lately seeming to bring discouragement to scary-clowns, recent upward trends may be more apt to continue.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:34 PM

483 posts, read 415,992 times
https://youtu.be/_quzw3rMWOM

Interesting video.. lengthy though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics