Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 08:26 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
You can also minimize it by not being or behaving like a boor. I'm already 46 years happily hitched myself, and if I had it to do over, that''s where I'd start off once again. It's amazing what the payoffs are in life simply for not being a jerk.
At some point it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy for these guys. If you approach relationships with a negative attitude from the start, it's pretty likely you're going to have a negative outcome.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:28 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Until the woman leaves you because she's bored and takes half your money.
You are so jaded living at home with mommy and daddy with your government job thinking you are the world's economic and relationship expert. My wife and I left home at 18 with empty pockets and full dreams to start our journey and have been together since. We figured out how to survive in this big bad world you fear. And you know what, we are nothing special, millions and millions of others did the same.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:23 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Married people don't just combine their salaries. They combine many other resources they own (cars, furniture, equipment, etc and land they might own, investments, etc), and also may have in-laws who help them out with money gifts and things. So they do financially better by far that many single adults, even if those single adults have decent jobs.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:23 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Houses are 12x the median household income
Nationally, median home prices are currently about three times median household income. Outliers would be New York and Los Angeles where it's about 4-to-1, and St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and Charlotte where it's about 2-to-1.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:25 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I take strong exception to the blanket statement that all married people are better off than all single people financially
No one has made such a statement.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:26 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
At some point it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy for these guys. If you approach relationships with a negative attitude from the start, it's pretty likely you're going to have a negative outcome.
I'm going a little off topic, but I agree. When people become bitter and jaded in dating (I met plenty of those when I was single) they are going to stay single. Like the men who whined that "all women are gold diggers" but they themselves were asking me what my salary was and what kind of car I drove. One guy that I met on a date seemed put off when he walked me to my car and saw that it had a cracked windshield and because of careful budgeting, I decided not to spend $200 to replace it right away. I'm so glad we never went out again!

Old 11-11-2016, 09:35 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I'm going a little off topic,
You aren't alone.

In order for this thread to remain open and in the Economics forum, you'll all need to get back on topic and forego using gender stereotypes.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:20 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Married people don't just combine their salaries. They combine many other resources they own (cars, furniture, equipment, etc and land they might own, investments, etc), and also may have in-laws who help them out with money gifts and things. So they do financially better by far that many single adults, even if those single adults have decent jobs.
I'd argue that the benefit only flows from economies of scale, because simple combining of resources cannot increase the resources per capita (twice as much money and twice as much family for twice as many people is not an improvement, the benefit comes from having costs that are less than double, e.g. health insurance)

Put another way, one should compare the situation of two singles to that of one couple, not one single to one couple.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:30 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
The savings on housing is enormous. In my case, my girlfriend is paying about $30K in rent, utilities, and cable/internet. That goes straight to savings. I'm 58. She's 56. We're both fairly high income professionals. That's probably $300K more in the retirement fund.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:09 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Nationally, median home prices are currently about three times median household income. Outliers would be New York and Los Angeles where it's about 4-to-1, and St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and Charlotte where it's about 2-to-1.
LA is not 4 to 1 lol the median is like 60k and the average house is something like 500k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics