Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a reduction in the severity of zoning laws?
Yes, we need more housing 20 41.67%
No, keep the laws the way they are 28 58.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 05:05 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
About half or Portland is zoned single family. In the current market a developer would happily buy and knock down 4 -500,000 houses to build 10 -350,000 condos.
I ran up the Portland zoning maps and had no trouble finding neighborhoods dominated by single family homes that are zoned R2 (Multi-Family). I found whole quarter sections with no apartment complexes. If they were so eager to do it, there's nothing stopping them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 05:45 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
Zoning adds cost to housing stock and protects those that have homes and keep their property values high by limiting competition vs the option of no zoning. The cost of zoning includes extra time it takes to get approvals of plans. The process to gain plan approval also adds cost as plans must be reviewed and approved by zoning staff, this adds staff time for developer to conduct those reviews and adds government payroll for zoning staff vs a no zoning option.

Zoning provides predictability of land uses and locks in a man made design that may not match the market demands by types. Sure it can be modified but this takes time and delays the adaption to real market needs and conditions. I believe it does drive up prices vs a no zoning option as the density of single family development in a zoned city tends to be larger lot size than for a city such as Houston which has no zoning and where the market sets the density. These preserve the status quo and tend toward lower density in my view. The extra costs incurred vs no zoning are paid by someone, either in lower land prices (not likely) or lower developer profits (again not likely) or higher prices for the end product.

Man has proven a poor planner of land uses vs the market. I cant count the towns and cities with more land zoned for malls and commercial uses than the market provides them leaving vacant land that could add density and shorten commutes as a result.

I have lived in a no zoning city, Houston and a highly regulated metro in NJ. I currently live in a lightly zoned place, Plano Tx. I prefer this place to the others although there are more than just zoning differences in play.

I favor light zoning

Old 11-07-2016, 06:42 PM

783 posts, read 694,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Maybe. Can't really do it in San Francisco aside from a tiny sliver of the city. Of course, you also have infrastructure issues. Sometimes I'll spend the night out at my aunt's and take the N-Judah in to downtown. It's so packed they run buses roughly every 10 minutes on top of the light rail that runs roughly every 7.5 minutes. Geary is even worse, basically non-stop buses packed like sardines. They really need a Geary and Judah subway lines, but there's no money for it. Even if you tore down a bunch of the little million dollar houses on 2,500 square foot lots out in the avenues and built mid-rise apartments (probably more like ten stories) there's no infrastructure to support them. And those apartments would not be cheap. First you have to buy out the million dollar homes, tear them down, then the city needs to get revenue from somewhere (most likely those apartments) to build subway lines to them.
We can't build in SF? So are you a structural engineer and you know that it can't be done? If these arguments are true now they have always been true everywhere. Building more infrastructure and density is the challenge of every growing society on the planet. (One that is thriving anyway) If we didn't do this in just about every growing city we would still live in huts.

Subways can be built, taller structures can be built. The biggest barrier are these excuses, not the ability to solve the problems.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:06 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Actually our rights come from God, not government. The purpose of government in the USA is to defend and secure the rights of the people (including private property rights). See The Declaration of Independence.

Sadly, the vast majority of Americans are totally clueless about our inalienable rights.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:32 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I ran up the Portland zoning maps and had no trouble finding neighborhoods dominated by single family homes that are zoned R2 (Multi-Family). I found whole quarter sections with no apartment complexes. If they were so eager to do it, there's nothing stopping them.

I doubt your assertion, and I'd guess that IF such areas exist, they are in inconveniently-located places with poor or no transit access, which include a good part of NW (which also poses the issue of acquisition costs too high to be feasible) and outer SE.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Sadly, the vast majority of Americans are totally clueless about our inalienable rights.

Quick, where do property rights come from?

Old 11-07-2016, 07:43 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,390 times
I would vote for anything to increase the housing stock. Current housing starts are at an abysmal low and is creating a cost of living crisis in our country.

Mutli-family housing in particular has been depressed ever since Reagan gutted funding for multi-family housing construction in the mid 1980s.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/HOUST5F

Single family construction was healthy until the last recession, when it crashed, and now it is at a level possible not seen in our country since before WWII. Perhaps even longer but the data doesn't go back that far.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/HOUST1F

If laxing the zoning laws will allow builders to build more, I would be all for it. Our country grows by 2-3 million people a year and we are only building roughly a million housing units annually. This is growing into a crisis.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I doubt your assertion, and I'd guess that IF such areas exist, they are in inconveniently-located places with poor or no transit access, which include a good part of NW (which also poses the issue of acquisition costs too high to be feasible) and outer SE.
You can find zoning maps here:

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/53296

Free Market doesn't mean freedom to damage or harm others financially.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You can find zoning maps here:

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/53296

Free Market doesn't mean freedom to damage or harm others financially.

Too bad that runs only one way:

UNfree Market does mean freedom to damage or harm others (specifically, non-owners) financially.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:12 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I would vote for anything to increase the housing stock. Current housing starts are at an abysmal low and is creating a cost of living crisis in our country.
A COL 'crisis'?

If anything we have too many houses. A lot of houses are sitting vacant.

2bdrm houses on 1 to 5 acres start at $30k in my area. I really do not consider that very high.

Quote:
... If laxing the zoning laws will allow builders to build more, I would be all for it. Our country grows by 2-3 million people a year and we are only building roughly a million housing units annually. This is growing into a crisis.
I don't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics