Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 08:51 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
You'd think that Americans would have enough pride in themselves as a society to do at least that much.
And as I said, we are specifically discussing able bodied people that are out there working and doing their best. I bet I work more hours a week than many Americans do currently. You wouldn't know it by my paycheck, but I am out there doing my best.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:52 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Pub-911, do you realize how abrasive and argumentative you sound (at least in my opinion)?
You made a series of claims. You questioned at least two of those claims before I did. Were you being rude? And how is then telling some part of real-life story of Linda Taylor and then describing what I am able to observe in my own charitable work in any way "abrasive?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I refuse to argue with a someone I perceive as being rude.
No one is asking you to argue. As it's been described to me, this is intended to be a discussion.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:59 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I do own two homes until the end of this month. But it is not because I take advantage of the system. I worked hard to buy a house at 20. Flipped a few over the years. I bought one and could not sell it so I made it a rental until I could be in a better place to sell it. Took me 18 months and now I can take the loss to get rid of it.

This friend probably has no idea that I own two houses. We worked together 13 years ago, so she does not know my current situation. She was speaking in general terms as she was venting on social media about her premium increase.

You own 2 homes & take assistance??????

You received rental income & take assistance?

And you wonder why people are against the system????

Old 11-17-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
You own 2 homes & take assistance??????

You received rental income & take assistance?

And you wonder why people are against the system????
Well after expenses there was no income. The house is actually selling at a giant loss. So yes, even with two houses my income still qualified me for some programs, like healthcare, energy assistance and discount property taxes on one home.

I have tried increasing my income over the years by obtaining professional licenses, climbing the ladder and now having a rental. I come to realize that I most likely won't be a high earned in my lifetime either. It certainly is not for lack of trying, as I currently have the work load of three positions but paid the same as though I am entry level. I recently pointed out that new hires are being hired for better salaries and my boss agreed. Fat lot of good it did me.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:42 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
If everyone were like this friend, we would not have a public education system, a public library system, a military, and the list goes on. The vast majority of us pay less in taxes than we receive in government services.
I don't think the friend has an issue with supporting services that benefit everybody. And she probably doesn't have a problem supporting programs that help those who can't do any better for themselves.

I got the impression from the OP that the "friend" mainly has a problem supporting programs that support those who could do better for themselves and choose not to.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't think the friend has an issue with supporting services that benefit everybody. And she probably doesn't have a problem supporting programs that help those who can't do any better for themselves.

I got the impression from the OP that the "friend" mainly has a problem supporting programs that support those who could do better for themselves and choose not to.
No she specifically said she did not put anyone in their situation, so why is it up to her to help pay for it. I take that as she does not want to help anyone.

And now that I think about it, she did say she had no kids and her tax money should not be going towards schools. So yeah, I am pretty sure I took it the right way.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:56 AM

I personally believe that the children now, will be the ones controlling our future. We need to invest into them so they can successfully do so. Things like funding social security will eventually fall into them as well. If we have no children, we as a society won't have a future.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:15 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Well after expenses there was no income. The house is actually selling at a giant loss. So yes, even with two houses my income still qualified me for some programs, like healthcare, energy assistance and discount property taxes on one home.

I have tried increasing my income over the years by obtaining professional licenses, climbing the ladder and now having a rental. I come to realize that I most likely won't be a high earned in my lifetime either. It certainly is not for lack of trying, as I currently have the work load of three positions but paid the same as though I am entry level. I recently pointed out that new hires are being hired for better salaries and my boss agreed. Fat lot of good it did me.

This is where you go and become the new hire someplace else and get that bigger salary.

You said you were married for 18 months, have 2 kids. I don't understand why you aren't getting child support, since it is in the hands of the feds now.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
This is where you go and become the new hire someplace else and get that bigger salary.

You said you were married for 18 months, have 2 kids. I don't understand why you aren't getting child support, since it is in the hands of the feds now.
I have tried that in the past and it does not result in a bigger salary, plus I work close to home. I live in a rural area and my employer is one of the few major corporations around. To leave would mean going back to an hour commute, and I really like my 15 minute commute. It allows me to get to the kids quickly when I need to. Plus I don't want to spend 10 hours a week driving. The little more I may make in salary will get eaten by tolls, gas and extra miles on my car.

My oldest child's father is dead. We get a tiny social security check. My youngest child's father pays child support. I qualify for assistance even after all that is included.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:52 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
The reason health "insurance" is so high is that the medical and pharmaceutical industries are allowed to operate as trusts / monopolies / cartels in direct violation of the law. Trying to come up with ever more plans on how to pay unsustainable cost increases does nothing to address the actual problem.
^^Spot on.

People don't understand the difference between Crony Capitalism / monopoly / oligopoly and true free market capitalism. We haven't had a free market health care system since World War 2.

In Latin America, where people pay out of pocket for most health care, the cost is a fraction of what it is in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics