Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 01:45 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times

Advertisements

everyone who cries about technology getting rid of jobs are short sighted. This is one of the most ingenious ideas I've seen in a long time. It is a little big brother but it will also do wonders for loss prevention if you can't even enter a store without scanning your identity. There will be 0 shoplifting if this had widespread adoption....oh but what about all the mall cops and security guard's jobs???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 01:55 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
I have no problem with people complaining about the loss of employment opportunities so long as they are not contributing to it. However, I find it absolutely hilarious when people embrace technological changes without regard for who end up unemployed, yet screams like some spanked whinny entitled brat when their job is the next one on the line. Those are the people I just love to throw it back in their faces.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:23 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I can't stand it when people try to halt progress in the name of jobs. It's not anyone's duty to hire humans to do work that isn't valuable, which is why they are quickly being replaced by robots anywhere possible. It's incumbent upon the human to figure out how to provide value to the employer, and we're approaching a time where simply showing up to work and having a heartbeat is no longer enough value to receive the (increasing) minimum wage.

It's not Amazon's fault, or anyone else's, that technology does things cheaper, better, and quicker than humans. Just yesterday I saw a video of bricklaying robot that lays 2,000 bricks per day as compared to a mason's 500 bricks per day. A construction company can buy two or three of those robots and be building around the clock, on holidays and weekends, and during union lunch breaks.
How are people going to make money, if even jobs like customer service and construction work become automated? There can only be so many doctors, attorneys, and engineers. Not everybody can be a engineer.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
The women on the evening news were all a-twitter about not having to stand in a checkout line ever again.

So far this only works for pre-packaged items. Produce and bulk foods can't be automated, but if you want to buy your broccoli in little boxes for a price premium, this is for you.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:00 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
How are people going to make money, if even jobs like customer service and construction work become automated? There can only be so many doctors, attorneys, and engineers. Not everybody can be a engineer.
I agree. The OP is cynical. Why should I buy a product or service anymore? I'll just keep my money and watch the 1% go into penury.

We won't need doctors anymore. People will avoid treatment because the visit costs too much. Engineers--everything is already built--You're fired!!! Lawyers--that's harder but people will settle disputes between themselves, so no need for them.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:01 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I prefer to conduct much of my day to day business with living, breathing human beings, not machines, robots, and automated systems. Eliminating the human element makes our world colder and more impersonal, bit by bit. That is not progress, IMO.
So curious = do you use ATMs or go into the bank to stand in line and write a check when you need cash? Maybe respond delightedly when teller with big smile asks how your day is going.

What about getting gas, do you walk inside and give cash for the prepay, so you can exchange pleasantries with the guy behind the counter?

If one toll lane has the hopper you throw coins into and you have the coins, do you instead pull into the longer slow moving line at the cash window so you can comment on the weather to the attendant?

Etc.

I'm genuinely curious how far you take it to avoid automation.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:24 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
eh...it also depends how much people can travel. Not all jobs pay the same amount. I'm in a place that's in a construction boom. But construction only booms for so long. Give this another two years and it will probably slow.

People settle disputes without lawyers? Hardly. I'm not saying there's a ton of jobs for them but trust me getting things legally settled is a good thing. If you find yourself in trouble and the other side had a better lawfirm then you do then you are screwed. I had a friend who lost a relative due to the wrong drug being provided. They took too long in court (by themselves) and lost.

Doctors? of course people will go to doctors. Sure in poorer areas they might try to avoid some treatments but even then. Engineers? Everything built? Um what? Of course you'd still need them as things need to be replaced and refurblished.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:40 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,621 times
I have an Amazon Store. I used to sell alot but they are squeezing the little guy out of selling on their platform.

Some listings display my photo, to this day, yet I cannot even list that item anymore.

Tried to list a DVD the other day. Of course I had to be approved for that category (Though I used to be approved and sold DVD's from time to time, no issues) then they declined approving me

Hardly any categories left they even allow me to list on. I make between $25-$50 a month now versus 4 times that for years. It helped alot back then. It was our spending money.

Last edited by NancyDrew1; 12-07-2016 at 08:54 PM..

Old 12-07-2016, 08:45 PM

59 posts, read 44,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I have no problem with people complaining about the loss of employment opportunities so long as they are not contributing to it. However, I find it absolutely hilarious when people embrace technological changes without regard for who end up unemployed, yet screams like some spanked whinny entitled brat when their job is the next one on the line. Those are the people I just love to throw it back in their faces.
This is what I have witnessed to. In conversations on this topic I've found quite don't give a stuff as its not effecting their job and they think they are immune. Cashiers are going the way of chimney sweeps, and that's okay if new industries & professions pop up to replace them like in past eras, but with robots/AI/automation to me its more systemic and the technology is not only changing society but also competing with people. This is just an in your face case of something that is happening in many businesses bit by bit, and as someone else said training more less skilled individuals to be accountants, lawyers, architects, software developers is not going to be an ideal outcome unless the jobs are there for them at the end. Management will be immune to this of course, but then as industries consolidate and if too few companies dominate industry sectors there is going to be less management positions needed. If there are more unemployed and people on lower pay work, then economic growth will be low. I am not against technology but this is going to have bigger implications to society in the coming years, and businesses exploiting tech wont care, whether the general public will really care its hard to say, but the govt will need to factor it into policy.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:59 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I'm all for technology to make our lives better - but Amazon GO seems to have crossed the line.
There are no lines to cross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
How many more millions of jobs are going to be lost, and what are all these people going to be doing?
There was a time in your history, about 60 years ago, when only 13% of households had two-wage earners. It is unnecessary and undesirable that each of the 125 Million households in the US have two wage-earners.

Sure, household income will decline, but that's no big deal, since it will put downward pressure on the price of most everything.

Like I've been saying for the last 8 years, you need to get used to things like "House-Husbands" -- men who stay at home and take care of the house, because there's no jobs for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics