Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 04:20 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
US Population 2011: 311 million
US Population 2015: 320 million

That's an increase of 164,560 jobs in a population increase of 9 million people. People already go through their entire lives and never meet an engineer or architect. That's because only 7.7 people out of 1000 do that for a living.

Projection is just another word for fortune telling.
Exactly. In that time the number of engineering jobs went up 7%, the population 3%.

Your post was implying technology is replacing engineering positions, obviously a flawed theory. Fortune telling is based on nothing, projections are based on data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 04:31 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
I enjoy standing in line and talking to the people around me while waiting, I go do my banking in person for the same reason. I don't "need" to do it online/quicker because what else would I be doing?
You could be eating all that tasty food and listening to your music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
when I look at the people trying to rush through the self check lines, they aren't "enjoying" their life, they are trying to rush out the door to rush to another place and rush yet again home so they can get to a 3rd job so they can afford the junk they bough to deal with the stress of the 2nd job. people who seem to rush about seem to do so because their time is spent on rushing around to keep ahead of some form of debt
Wow that is some serious assumptions you have going on there. So let me get this straight... the people who don't check out of the grocery store the way you do that is slower so trying to talk to everyone and feeling good that the cashier paid to be nice to you is nice to you, are in debt and have 2nd or 3rd jobs? That is as bad as someone assuming the overly talkative slow person lacks any friends or family to have meaningful interaction with so needs to bother everyone around them trying to be social. Neither is true, have you spoken to that many of the people in self-checkout about their personal finance situation? I doubt it.

I was a big time user of the self checkout, not because I was rushing to my second job (had one job) but because I'd rather be doing something else that I find more fun than standing in line. It might be reading my Kindle, might be fishing, might be playing video games, might be happy hour with friend whatever but there are a million things that I'd prioritize as more enjoyable than purposely taking the long way to buy some groceries. I haven't had debt in a long time and retired in my 40s so I sure wasn't doing it to rush off to cover personal finance problems.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:03 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Good thing very few people actually make minimum wage and those that do likely don't make min. wage for long. According to the BLS in 2015 612,000 workers over the age of 19 made minimum wage.
In 2015, 78.2 million workers age 16 and older in the United States were paid at hourly rates, representing 58.5 percent of all wage and salary workers. Among those paid by the hour, 870,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.7 million had wages below the federal minimum. Together, these 2.6 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 3.3 percent of all hourly paid workers.

Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers, 2015

Old 12-09-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Projection is just another word for fortune telling.
Projections will identify for you the most probable future path of a variable given what we know oi its behavior and tendencies today. If you don't want to know such things, you can simply ignore projections altogether.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:20 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There are plenty of other positions in a grocery store besides a cashier.

I love the concept, but I think more 7/11 type stores will have it rather than some large grocery store. Maybe a new type of store sponsored by the big chains, will come about with this technology.
The Amazon concept is very similar to the 7-11 stores in Japan. They sell mostly prepackaged food items. They do have long lines, unlike the US stores which only have long lines when a lot of people are buying lottery tickets or gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPgM1JQxJuc

Quote:
Food and grocery analyst Jim Prevor sees the rumored Amazon convenience stores as more a market research effort than a plan for a major roll out, much as Amazon has opened two brick-and-mortar bookstores, one in Seattle and one in San Diego, with more planned.

“There’s no particular advantage to Amazon to open physical stores. I suspect the lofty multiples they get on Wall Street would not be supported if they suddenly announced they were going to spend millions on brick-and-mortar stores,” Prevor said.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/n...cery/91901708/

Last edited by lchoro; 12-09-2016 at 09:34 AM..

Old 12-09-2016, 09:26 AM

My local 7-11 has its longest lines at 6:00 in the morning when the roofing, siding, and landscape crews are stocking up on food and water for the day. I've got lots of respect for those guys. They bust their butts out there.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:16 AM

280 posts, read 250,206 times
The thought that this will significantly impact employment is silly. AS mentioned, technology has allowed us to perform different functions versus having to continually worry about the day to day needs. Imagine having to gather wood every day or hunt for food. One thing for sure is that you cannot stop technology from coming. Most people want a better solution to their problems.

In regards to human interaction (MLS), that is your choice. I am sure that there are plenty of businesses that will continue to cater to those who want that type of service. It is no different than using turbo tax vs going to a CPA for your taxes. At some point that segment of customers will be so small that the prices to maintain it will be incredibly high.

Personally, I like getting through the routine transactions as fast as possible since I would rather spend my time with the family versus sitting in lines everywhere. Has nothing to do with running from job to job.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:36 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
the people who don't check out of the grocery store the way you do that is slower so trying to talk to everyone and feeling good that the cashier paid to be nice to you is nice to you, are in debt and have 2nd or 3rd jobs?
and yet, they are still being paid to stand in that check out line for however long their shift is. Whether there are customers or not, they are paid the same for standing there.

If it sped through the process, they won't get to their 2nd/3rd jobs any quicker because they have to finish their shift first.
Quote:
I was a big time user of the self checkout, not because I was rushing to my second job (had one job) but because I'd rather be doing something else that I find more fun than standing in line.
and save what? a few minutes out of your day? It's all the same with people trying to drive 5 over the speed limit, I go 5 below. For whatever time people try to do to "save" time, they eventually just blow it somewhere else.

it's the same as people buying a "gas" efficient car but never seeing their savings grow. They either take longer trips because it "cost the same" or they take the savings and spend it else where.

I don't always talk to the people, i just like to take things slowly. I spend entire evening/weekend with family since I don't take any work home. If I am trying to get out of the store quicker, and I get home, they aren't there yet either. I'd turn on the TV/play a video game, and what? They aren't any more "productive" than taking it slow in the checkout line. And I don't need them to make me "feel good" and kill them either. More often than not I just go outside and take a nap in the afternoons. Toss something on the grill with a timer to wake me up. 30 minutes later, dinner is cooked, family gets home and we eat.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:05 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
There are always going to be people who don't have a smartphone (or whose smartphone isn't working correctly or isn't charged) and/or who would rather be anonymous.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

Wow that is some serious assumptions you have going on there. So let me get this straight... the people who don't check out of the grocery store the way you do that is slower so trying to talk to everyone and feeling good that the cashier paid to be nice to you is nice to you, are in debt and have 2nd or 3rd jobs? That is as bad as someone assuming the overly talkative slow person lacks any friends or family to have meaningful interaction with so needs to bother everyone around them trying to be social. Neither is true, have you spoken to that many of the people in self-checkout about their personal finance situation? I doubt it.

I was a big time user of the self checkout, not because I was rushing to my second job (had one job) but because I'd rather be doing something else that I find more fun than standing in line. It might be reading my Kindle, might be fishing, might be playing video games, might be happy hour with friend whatever but there are a million things that I'd prioritize as more enjoyable than purposely taking the long way to buy some groceries. I haven't had debt in a long time and retired in my 40s so I sure wasn't doing it to rush off to cover personal finance problems.
You're absolutely right! Tons of assumptions right there. I, too, only used self checkout unless a store doesn't have it. I prefer organizing my groceries a specific way. I like packing my own. I don't need a cashier to chit chat with me. Yes, I'm in a rush to get out of the store because my ice cream is melting, my milk is getting warm, my chicken needs to be refrigerated, etc. Certainly not because I'm rushing to go to a 2nd or 3rd job. I only have one and actually own my own company. Yes, I have debt as do most people. I don't know many people who were able to pay cash for their house, car, or education. All of my bills are paid on time if not early so it's not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics