Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 05:30 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Aperiodic cycle is a succession of regularly occurring events. There are also chaotic cycles...
Chaotic cycles = oxymoron alert! Simplifying assumptions can be useful in life, but not when there is just plain no basis for them. In those cases you just have to deal with complexity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 09:52 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I wonder how Gunlach is doing with his investment, he mentioned gold on CNBC before Trump was elected.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:37 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Many posts deleted. Some of you were only perpetuating the nonsense you were decrying. Try not engaging. Also, please don't be so rude to each other.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:02 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
toosie, thanks.

Back to the topic:

We were discussing "business cycles". To me it seems clear that there is not much in the economy or markets that helps with the idea of a cycle. There is seldom anything that is cyclical. No clear repetition following consistent time periods. No clear cycle with the same highs and lows. Calling past events "chaotic cycles" does not seem to help.

Rather than think about cycles, I suspect we would be better to concentration on "patterns". Also there are trends and measures that might indicate a repeat of a past pattern. I can think of quite a few patterns. One I would call by the well known phrase: irrational exuberance. This involves an overheated market with excessive speculative investing. A "bubble" is another similar example but the investing is usually concentrated in a limited area such as technology or real estate.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:11 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I wonder how Gunlach is doing with his investment, he mentioned gold on CNBC before Trump was elected.

well if he bought it before than it ain't doing well . if he bought it and sold it he might have made a profit . gold is not about time in the market but timing the market if you are buying it as is and not part of a comprehensive portfolio strategy . of course the timing can be an issue if you guess wrong .

Old 12-10-2016, 12:31 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well if he bought it before than it ain't doing well . if he bought it and sold it he might have made a profit . gold is not about time in the market but timing the market if you are buying it as is and not part of a comprehensive portfolio strategy . of course the timing can be an issue if you guess wrong .
He is a bond guru and bonds have not done well either. How do these people make money?

Old 12-10-2016, 12:41 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
they can short and hedge with options too depending on the fund and it's policy . i use both pimco mint and i-shares shy for cash . mint is usually up lately when shy is down .

if it is a go any where bond fund there are bond funds doing well like high yield up double digits and floating rate loans .

Old 12-11-2016, 03:33 AM

28 posts, read 26,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
No, there are many cycles in nature, but extrapolation from such elementary observations would be foolish. People have made every effort to uncover cycles in economics, and they have all failed. Things go up, things go down, and things stay about the same. There is no discernible pattern to any of it.
There is no pattern, but it is still volatile and fluctuates. You can still assign a probability to a particular event. And the odds are, there will be a recession every 5-10 years.

But truthfully, I don't buy the argument that recessions have no cyclical causes. If you look at the data, it is pretty clear that unemployment reaches a minimum, central banks start raising interest rates, over optimistic speculative investments begin to sour and markets go through a period of correction to bring the allocation of capital inline with fundamentals.

Markets are to a large degree driven by psychology and irrational behavior. Sooner or later, recessions occur which serve the purpose of ending the irrational behavior and reallocating capital to more productive uses.

The efficient market hypothesis is a nice theory, but real people and real markets don't operate with Vulcan-like objectivity. It is only efficient in the long run (>10 years). In the short term, it is driven by behavioral economics.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:02 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
The economy is in decent shape right now but the books are being cooked....

They aren't counting huge numbers of unemployed people who have 'simply stopped looking for work'.

Likewise I am a skeptic of the inflation numbers.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:48 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeCalifornia View Post
There is no pattern, but it is still volatile and fluctuates. You can still assign a probability to a particular event. And the odds are, there will be a recession every 5-10 years.

But truthfully, I don't buy the argument that recessions have no cyclical causes. If you look at the data, it is pretty clear that unemployment reaches a minimum, central banks start raising interest rates, over optimistic speculative investments begin to sour and markets go through a period of correction to bring the allocation of capital inline with fundamentals.

Markets are to a large degree driven by psychology and irrational behavior. Sooner or later, recessions occur which serve the purpose of ending the irrational behavior and reallocating capital to more productive uses.

The efficient market hypothesis is a nice theory, but real people and real markets don't operate with Vulcan-like objectivity. It is only efficient in the long run (>10 years). In the short term, it is driven by behavioral economics.

I don't see any facts to back up these assertions.

First, what measurements are you using that indicate a recession every 5-10 years? Are you looking at GDP or the stock markets, such as the DJIA? Neither show this pattern.

How about using unemployment to mark the "cycle" changes? Low unemployment periods have been 2006, 1999, 1989, 1973, and 1969. The intervals have been 7, 10, 16 and 4 years.

Your second paragraph, defined the classical definition of a business cycle. Again, that cycle is more theoretical than actual. In recent decades we have had the dot com bubble. Tech has given us some big time winners such as Microsoft, Apple, Google and Facebook. Unfortunately too many people got caught up in the speculation and many overbid the markets. That was a phenomenon that really does not match your definition of a business cycle. The Great Recession hit due to lenders playing musical chairs with bad loans. Again, that does not fit your definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics