Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:41 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I always wondered about the supply and demand thing.

Why are Christmas flights always high even when you book in June??

If only 100 people can go in that flight and its sold out , what is the need to jack up prices?

Is the "demand" created because people are ready to pay?
Because Christmas is the constant in the equation. The time period never changes the way spring break can. People are ALWAYS going to want to travel then, so there is not necessarily a need to discount fares in summer.

The destinations vary, the capacity of airports vary, and so do the prices. But the date never varies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 09:37 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Was a system set up just to make us work harder? I don't think so. The Chinese will come in, steal the patent, and make it inferior and cheaper. People will buy it because of price. Other prices will adjust accordingly or move their companies out of America in favor of a cheaper work force.

The basic definition of capitalism is the right to make a profit. It has nothing to do with trying to make you work harder to afford less, because there will always be people who have more then you from working smart. There are many more that don't even look at price, they have the means not to care about costs.

No matter how you look at it, there will always be haves and have nots. A free market doesn't care who has to work hard and who doesn't. It's nothing personal, it's all about greed.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:56 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Was a system set up just to make us work harder? I don't think so. .........

You are raining on the parade. A lot of people bring conspiracy theories to this forum. The weirder, the better.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:06 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Perhaps some will be motivated to go take a calculus course. After pre-algebra and algebra perhaps. Education is always a good thing. Kind of price-inelastic though.
I love math till it become too much to answer 2+2.. o wait thats common core..

Old 12-13-2016, 10:30 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
There's supposed to be another milkman competing with the first one. Where did he go?

Old 12-13-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Was a system set up just to make us work harder? I don't think so. The Chinese will come in, steal the patent, and make it inferior and cheaper. People will buy it because of price. Other prices will adjust accordingly or move their companies out of America in favor of a cheaper work force.

The basic definition of capitalism is the right to make a profit. It has nothing to do with trying to make you work harder to afford less, because there will always be people who have more then you from working smart. There are many more that don't even look at price, they have the means not to care about costs.

No matter how you look at it, there will always be haves and have nots. A free market doesn't care who has to work hard and who doesn't. It's nothing personal, it's all about greed.
And it will always be about greed. Just be nice to find that happy medium were a average joe can afford a big mac were only the rich could get it. Im just throwing some theories out and getting feedback and this is what forums are about. Sharing ideas and debunking our brains. Im not offended by any comments, and expected the supply and demand to popup. There is a point were the supply and demand evens out, than it becomes more about pricing that little bit more to offset the raise in wages. Then we got to add inflation to the equation as well.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:32 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So again your increase in salary means nothing. Like it knows you got the extra funds to put back but soon as you do they increase it so they will eat that up. But you get what i was trying to for, so thanks for see my point of view.
No...."it" doesn't know you got the extra funds. But YOU do, and you relax a little. That confidence causes you to spend a little more now, because of those extra funds. Result: you overspent.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:37 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
There is a point were the supply and demand evens out, than it becomes more about pricing that little bit more to offset the raise in wages.
What point is that?

I mean, yes, there is the concept of market equilibrium, but my econ teacher used to say that people only buy a product if the benefit is at least equal to its cost. But because people's preferences vary widely, a lower product price will have a benefit worth the cost for more people, thus increasing demand.

All of that will never change the fact that all of us can't afford everything.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
No...."it" doesn't know you got the extra funds. But YOU do, and you relax a little. That confidence causes you to spend a little more now, because of those extra funds. Result: you overspent.
Me personaly no.. I put any extra in savings for "raining days". But soon as I do, something takes it away. Like it knows we have funds now to spend. Use wages as a example. Say the whole town people make 10 a hour, so were all equal. We all can afford the same 10$ item, but the person who owns that item wants more money, greedy. They want to bump it to 20, now only those that saved could get it, when once before everybody could have. Now the wages need to increase to 20 a hour so we can all afford it again. Rinse and repeat. Thats were i draw the line.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:09 AM

33 posts, read 24,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2
Now, the milk man realize that he is too cheap because people are making $2 a hour. Now he jacks it up to $2.50.
That's not how pricing occurs. The increase in income is at first realized through an increase in demand. The milkman can then choose to either expand supply so that shortages will not occur (returning to equilibrium), or increase the price - inducing a fall in demand and the returning of equilibrium. She will choose the most profitable product of the two - depends on various elasticities - and operate where she is producing at the point where marginal revenue - which under perfect competition, where the firm is a price-taker, is equal to demand - meets the marginal cost of increased production.

Real markets have varying degrees of market power but that's the basic formula. For example, my extended family are all milk producers and sell into a large, agricultural co-operative which has the market power to extract rents from consumers. But the basic formula still holds relatively well.

With regards to your specific example, the elasticity of demand for whole milk is about 1.25. That means a 10% increase in price results in a 12% decrease in demand. So it's going to be unprofitable for our hypothetical milkman to increase the price, and better for her to expand production and sell to all those who could not afford whole milk in the first place. Then, perhaps with the extra profit she captures she can start producing chocolate milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911
Perhaps some will be motivated to go take a calculus course.
I always found it downright weird that American's never had to take at least basic calculus in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics