Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:36 PM

335 posts, read 1,531,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I don't know why the media pays so much attention to Bernanke, Bush when it comes to the economy. They all say, things are fine, there's no recession.

That's like asking David Stern about the state of the NBA or someone else in charge of a league or company, of course they'll be biased. I think it could be a very nasty recession, there have been so many excesses built up over the last 10-15 years. How do you reduce those kinds of excesses without a hard recession at some point?
I agree. If you want to find out how things are going, just talk to the people around you. Most people will tell you, time are getting tough.

Myself, I'm started to get real scared. I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't find more work soon. My clients have all tried up. I'm on the phone all day, breaking my butt to find more work.

What am I going to do? Where am I going to live?

Carrot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 01:40 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,702,948 times
In lite of the economic downturn would you still remodel your kitchen if you had the money saved up to the job???? @10k
Thanks

Old 02-29-2008, 02:30 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,969,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
In lite of the economic downturn would you still remodel your kitchen if you had the money saved up to the job???? @10k
Thanks
This is just an opinion as requested No, absolutely not. This may not be the time to do a home remodel project unless you need to (and don't just want to). If you're planning on selling, then it might be what's needed to get buyers interested, otherwise you might just be sending money out the window that you might need down the road.

In your situation I'd hold onto the money and see how the economy looks next spring. This year looks like it has the potential to be economically challenging. The analysts may be wrong, but better to be safe than sorry right?

Old 03-01-2008, 07:26 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,702,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
This is just an opinion as requested No, absolutely not. This may not be the time to do a home remodel project unless you need to (and don't just want to). If you're planning on selling, then it might be what's needed to get buyers interested, otherwise you might just be sending money out the window that you might need down the road.

In your situation I'd hold onto the money and see how the economy looks next spring. This year looks like it has the potential to be economically challenging. The analysts may be wrong, but better to be safe than sorry right?
Thanks for the opinion. We have the money just setting in a simple savings so it's not doing anything. The houseing market in MN is bad but at least my mortgage to value ratio is still good ( house is still worth more then we owe) We've really been looking forward to the project for a number of years so have been saving hard to "get r done" since we do like debt. Just very unsure if we should proceed or not...........

Old 03-01-2008, 09:43 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,965,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I've noticed grocery store items going up 20-25% in one jump. Examples - Cat food cans went from $.45 to $.65 in one jump. Can soup went from $1.00 to $1.25 in one jump. Just in the last 2 weeks.
my favorite oroweat oatnut bread went from $2.79/loaf to $3.59/loaf!, as have most of the things that i typically buy. here in so texas, bananas have long been 39 cents/lb since the 1980s at least. i've noticed that they have now creeped up to 44 cents/lb. i KNOW that inflation is HIGHER than what the gov't wants you to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics