Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 08:57 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The unemployment rate masks the huge number of people who have dropped out of the workforce.
There are about 95 million such people. Only 5 million say they want a job, and not half of those have actually looked for a job recently. The other 90 miilion don't have a job and don't want one either.

Quote:
Most of the jobs created since 2007 have been McJobs.
How do you define "McJobs?" Are sales and marketing jobs included? Software developnment? Jobs in such fields as health care and education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 09:01 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But even if what you assert were actually so (it isn't)...we're still left with the issue of an ever expanding population. This is NOT a good thing.
How low can you go? US fertility rates are at their lowest level in recorded history. Recorded history in this case began in 1909.

Last edited by Pub-911; 01-09-2017 at 09:37 AM..

Old 01-09-2017, 09:21 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
........... Most of the jobs created since 2007 have been McJobs.

Another person asked how do people become unemployable? One answer is that they fail to work hard during school and their career. Of course there are many of these people.

However there are others who are born without the ability to do any work because the most routine jobs have been automated....
So another answer to the question is that people become unemployable when they are born.
This is more nonsense than most people can cram into a single post. First most of the jobs created and available are not "McJobs". Unemployment rates for the BLS professional category (jobs typically requiring a 4 yr college degree) have been at 3% for quite a while. Lots of highly paid jobs are vacant due to lack of candidates. This includes high tech jobs but also relatively commonplace jobs such as a science or math teachers in secondary schools.

Sure there are some people with low intelligence or without mental or physical problems that limit their ability to succeed. The vast majority of the population is not in this category. A person of average or below average intelligence can learn skills, can get an education and can find ways to succeed. Most colleges even have programs for those with "learning disabilities" and other even more severe issues.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:00 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
How low can you go?
The Q is how low do we need to go.

My answer is a number that aligns with economic sense...
approximately equal number of working age for the jobs that are available.

Until then... we need to get the current (40-60M) surplus out of the statistics...
and in a way that doesn't have them continuing to add to the whole.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:12 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This is more nonsense than most people can cram into a single post. First most of the jobs created and available are not "McJobs". Unemployment rates for the BLS professional category (jobs typically requiring a 4 yr college degree) have been at 3% for quite a while. Lots of highly paid jobs are vacant due to lack of candidates. This includes high tech jobs but also relatively commonplace jobs such as a science or math teachers in secondary schools.
I found mixed data on the quality of new jobs. The McJobs claim was more accurate back in 2014 but jobs since then have paid a higher wage.

I think your head is in the sand if you think people can simply retrain to keep up with automation.

http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/dow...Employment.pdf

Quote:
According to our estimates, about 47 percent of total US employment is at risk. We further provide evidence that wages and educational attainment exhibit a strong negative relationship with an occupation’s probability of computerisation.
The negative relationship mentioned is exactly what I described: low wage, low skill jobs are more likely to be automated.

I know there are more openings than applicants in many technical occupations. I went through school; I know the technical subjects - science, math, and engineering - are more difficult to master than the non-technical subjects. That's why there's a shortage of applicants in this field. I don't think this shortage is caused entirely by a lack of drive and work ethic ("grit" was the fashionable term a couple of years ago). Some people simply cannot master these subjects.

Quote:
Sure there are some people with low intelligence or without mental or physical problems that limit their ability to succeed. The vast majority of the population is not in this category. A person of average or below average intelligence can learn skills, can get an education and can find ways to succeed. Most colleges even have programs for those with "learning disabilities" and other even more severe issues.
I disagree with the bolded statement. A minority of the population completes college. What is the non-college majority supposed to do as time passes and more jobs are automated? Even now automation is putting pressure on high-skill occupations like legal work, with automated document discovery programs outpacing attorneys. Physicians' diagnostic skills are being threatened with IBM's Watson, and will eventually be surpassed.

Even if a majority of the working age population is employable now (since they are employed) the pressures of automation will not relent and the employable fraction will drop over time.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:

A minority of the population completes college. What is the non-college majority supposed to do as time passes and more jobs are automated? ...........
That minority is rapidly increasing from the current level of about 1/3 of high schools students who go on to complete a 4 year degree. There is another rapidly growing number of young people who will get a 2 year degree or the equivalent specialized education. It will not be very long until the minority are those without bachelor or associate degrees.

Does that mean that there will be no jobs for those without degrees? Absolutely not. There is no automated equipment that will maintain and fix cars. Last two times I needed service, the wait was between one and two weeks. In my area plumbers, electricians, carpenters are in strong demand. They have all the work they can handle and make good, very good, money. More and more robotics and automated equipment means more and more need for skilled people to operate, fix and maintain that equipment. I have a friend who is clearly mentally challenged but makes tons of money installing and fixing residential A/C systems.

Now what about those who have no education and no skills? There will always be a lot of menial, service jobs. Let us hope most are just starter jobs or jobs people take when they are working themselves through college or training. In the modern world, people need education and skills to obtain good jobs and careers. There is nothing new about this. The world has had tradesmen and merchants and traders and similar occupations for centuries.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:31 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Unemployment is a historical LOW levels.
So is the employment level, since you're 13.8 Million workers short of normal.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:24 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Quote:
That minority is rapidly increasing from the current level of about 1/3 of high schools students who go on to complete a 4 year degree. There is another rapidly growing number of young people who will get a 2 year degree or the equivalent specialized education. It will not be very long until the minority are those without bachelor or associate degrees.

Does that mean that there will be no jobs for those without degrees? Absolutely not. There is no automated equipment that will maintain and fix cars. Last two times I needed service, the wait was between one and two weeks. In my area plumbers, electricians, carpenters are in strong demand. They have all the work they can handle and make good, very good, money. More and more robotics and automated equipment means more and more need for skilled people to operate, fix and maintain that equipment. I have a friend who is clearly mentally challenged but makes tons of money installing and fixing residential A/C systems.

Now what about those who have no education and no skills? There will always be a lot of menial, service jobs. Let us hope most are just starter jobs or jobs people take when they are working themselves through college or training. In the modern world, people need education and skills to obtain good jobs and careers. There is nothing new about this. The world has had tradesmen and merchants and traders and similar occupations for centuries.
More robots and automation does not necessarily mean that there will be more jobs in these fields you can have one or two people fix multiple machines until the machines get good enough to fix themselves. There will not be enough jobs fixing machines for everyone what is everyone else gonna do when automaton has taken their jobs? There will not be menial service jobs because machines can do it better.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
More robots and automation does not necessarily mean that there will be more jobs in these fields you can have one or two people fix multiple machines until the machines get good enough to fix themselves. There will not be enough jobs fixing machines for everyone what is everyone else gonna do when automaton has taken their jobs? There will not be menial service jobs because machines can do it better.
Can you think of even one machine that is close to fixing itself? Not a car or an airplane or automated loom or lathe or some piece of sophisticated manufacturing equipment. I cannot even imagine how that would happen. Oh wait. I have it. Suppose a computerized welding robot got a crack and could weld itself. I guess that would count.

If you really believe your scenario, it must be really depressing to be you. Maybe you should call the automated funeral robot. It could bring a box, put you in it, hold a service, and bury you 6 feet under. Personally I will continue to do what I have always done. Use better and better tools to do more and more.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:06 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Can you think of even one machine that is close to fixing itself?
The biggest part of most repairs is diagnosing the malfunction. Cars are getting better every year in diagnosing their own malfunctions. They're getting cheaper to repair because less trial and error is needed. Trial and error involves installing parts that turn out not to be needed, but were just installed to see if that improved the symptoms. That used to be the biggest and most expensive part of car repairs. But it's being reduced drastically by modern technology, with cars diagnosing themselves more and more successfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics