Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 11:10 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times

Advertisements

This is not new jobs. They've been hiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 12:49 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
The Amazon DC in my area is always hiring. And that is because the turnover is very high. You have the younger workers who don't really want to work, and the older workers who can't handle the work.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:28 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
This is not new jobs. They've been hiring.
If their workforce is 180k, and they plan to have a workforce of 280k, how is that not new jobs?

Old 01-14-2017, 03:40 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
As Aridon points out, VR is coming, and I have to say, its amazing. The 100K Amazon is adding is probably coming at the expense of 300,000 other people losing their jobs. Additionally after that initial surge Amazon will keep replacing those folks with automation.
VR is not going to give you true-to-life tactile sensation. You will still have no idea of the finish or weight of, say, tile, or fabric. There will be the same problem with color balance - eg the "virtual" version of a blouse will be no closer to reality in VR than it is looking at it on your flat screen.

You can't really try something on in VR either.

Whether or not we get some Star Trek level of VR sophistication SOME DAY, it won't be in OUR day. Star Trek TNG was taking place in the 24th century after all.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel52 View Post
Who wants to work for a sweatshop that pays below live able wages and where the benefits are slim to none. Not me .
Warehouse work is still relatively unskilled labor. Would you really expect $50k and a full benefits package?

Those in higher level jobs are doing okay.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel52 View Post
Who wants to work for a sweatshop that pays below live able wages and where the benefits are slim to none. Not me .
Who wants to work at all? I'm sure if we had a choice the majority of us would rather go fishing than get into the car early Monday morning to go punch the clock all day.

Also = you have no idea whether their wages are livable since everyone's personal finance situation is different. Millions of Americans can and do live on $12/hour type wages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
VR is not going to give you true-to-life tactile sensation. You will still have no idea of the finish or weight of, say, tile, or fabric. There will be the same problem with color balance - eg the "virtual" version of a blouse will be no closer to reality in VR than it is looking at it on your flat screen.

Whether or not we get some Star Trek level of VR sophistication SOME DAY, it won't be in OUR day. Star Trek TNG was taking place in the 24th century after all.
Agreed. VR doesn't let you try on a shoe to make sure it feels right taking steps, or check if the shirt hangs right on your frame.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:35 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,912,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Who wants to work at all? I'm sure if we had a choice the majority of us would rather go fishing than get into the car early Monday morning to go punch the clock all day.

Also = you have no idea whether their wages are livable since everyone's personal finance situation is different. Millions of Americans can and do live on $12/hour type wages.

Agreed. VR doesn't let you try on a shoe to make sure it feels right taking steps, or check if the shirt hangs right on your frame.
12 a hour? yea if you live on roman noodles and live under the bridge. If somebody is living on 12 a hour and have less than the average bills than yea but barley and im sure they are living on welfare too. These are ruff guess depending on your COL.

Average house rent/morgage is $400+ month (1bed/eff apt)
Add utilties that always go up even if you use less. $300 month
Add Gas if you drive. 100 a month if you drive local
Need a phone. So 50 a month
Since your driving.. im sure u got a car note to tote. $300
insurance as we know the government will take care of you. $100
Car insurance $100

$1350 a month in bills. Give or take 200.. so we round up o $1500 to be safe.

18,000 Year in bills ruff guess.

12 a hour with out paying taxes
$24,960. Depending on taxes, so $7500 is 30 percent average.
17,460 a year..

Old 01-15-2017, 09:53 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post

Ahh where to begin.

Generally no one cares about the finish or the weight of the vast majority of their purchases. As for star trek level of VR....Well I am 46, I fully expect to see it. Seriously, the stuff is just mind blowing right now, and its only going to get better.

And yes, you can in fact try things on in VR. Even better is with the right equipment you can measure everything about a person. My time estimate for that? Less then 10 years. Star trek level vr, less then 30.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
12 a hour? yea if you live on roman noodles and live under the bridge. If somebody is living on 12 a hour and have less than the average bills than yea but barley and im sure they are living on welfare too. These are ruff guess depending on your COL.

Average house rent/morgage is $400+ month (1bed/eff apt)
Add utilties that always go up even if you use less. $300 month
Add Gas if you drive. 100 a month if you drive local
Need a phone. So 50 a month
Since your driving.. im sure u got a car note to tote. $300
insurance as we know the government will take care of you. $100
Car insurance $100

$1350 a month in bills. Give or take 200.. so we round up o $1500 to be safe.

18,000 Year in bills ruff guess.

12 a hour with out paying taxes
$24,960. Depending on taxes, so $7500 is 30 percent average.
17,460 a year..
The median household income is much higher than the median income. In other words, people have roommates, people have spouses, etc.

Do you really think that everyone you see working at Macy's goes to sleep under a bridge at night?

Also = people making $12/hour don't pay 30 percent in taxes.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:21 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
I find this news confusing considering an entire town in my state, Kansas, suffered a major loss when Amazon left: | The Wichita Eagle

A smaller facility closed: 119 to lose jobs when Amazon closes Texas facility | The Hays County Democratic Party

I only shop Amazon now when I am desperate and am so tired of getting someone whose second language is English when I have an issue. Shop Wal-Mart online for best prices and easy returns!

Amazon also uses a lot of "workampers" for the holiday season. I wonder if they "e-verify"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics