Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 03:16 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times

Advertisements

So the NYT reports on a speech made by the Mexican president. Supposedly, he wants to have some countermeasures in negotiations and says:

“We will bring to the table all themes,” [president Enrique Peña Nieto] said in a speech [on Jan 23]. “Trade, yes, but also migration and the themes of security, including border security, terrorist threats and the traffic of illegal drugs, weapons and cash.”

As I read that I ask myself: Huh, terrorist threats? Huh, traffic of illegal drugs, weapons and cash? Sounds to me like a threat, but perhaps I am just misconstruing the phrases. In the next paragraph, the NYT carefully explains all:

"His hope is that by introducing broader uncertainty about the bilateral relationship — Will Mexico still cooperate in the fight against drug trafficking? Will it stop foreign terrorists from using Mexico as a way station into the United States?"

Hmmm, yeah. Really, Mexico? The plan is to let Mexico be used as a way station for terrorists into the United States? Really? Wow! What a great neighbor!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/24/b...ree-trade.html

P.S. where is the NYT looking to clarify the remarks from Mexican president's office? Not that I can find it in that article.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:58 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
I could be wrong, but I think the gist of it is: They aren't paying for that f***ing wall...

Old 01-26-2017, 08:53 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
The gist of it is that neither Mexico nor any other group of sensible people in the hemisphere supports the sorts of hatred inherent in this President's nativist, anti-Hispanic policies. This is just an extension of the Women's March, and there are many more flavors of it waiting out there as well. He is not yet a week in office, and yet he is well along the road toward making the US an international pariah.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:37 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
So the NYT reports on a speech made by the Mexican president. Supposedly, he wants to have some countermeasures in negotiations and says:

“We will bring to the table all themes,” [president Enrique Peña Nieto] said in a speech [on Jan 23]. “Trade, yes, but also migration and the themes of security, including border security, terrorist threats and the traffic of illegal drugs, weapons and cash.”

As I read that I ask myself: Huh, terrorist threats? Huh, traffic of illegal drugs, weapons and cash? Sounds to me like a threat, but perhaps I am just misconstruing the phrases. In the next paragraph, the NYT carefully explains all:

"His hope is that by introducing broader uncertainty about the bilateral relationship — Will Mexico still cooperate in the fight against drug trafficking? Will it stop foreign terrorists from using Mexico as a way station into the United States?"
As I read those remarks, Trump is planning to spend a significant portion of the US budget over the next few years to erect a giant middle finger to Mexico, as a result, Mexico is considering reducing their cooperation with the US on matters of common concern. What's weird about that?

Old 01-26-2017, 09:48 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Didn't you post this same thing in the Politics and Controversies forum?

Here is the response I made to you over there:

Quote:
Nah, that is not a threat. It is good old fashioned negotiation. He is saying there is value in Mexico stopping terrorists and he wants that value to be recognized by Trump.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:08 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Well now instead of stopping terrorists they can just let them in. Who cares. They'll stay in Mexico. Probably not a smart move on their part, maybe ISIS will start taking over the drug trade. Imagine the narcos in Mexico if they get militarized ISIS style.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:14 AM

393 posts, read 409,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
The gist of it is that neither Mexico nor any other group of sensible people in the hemisphere supports the sorts of hatred inherent in this President's nativist, anti-Hispanic policies. This is just an extension of the Women's March, and there are many more flavors of it waiting out there as well. He is not yet a week in office, and yet he is well along the road toward making the US an international pariah.
Say this when terrorists blow up your neighborhood. Say it again when your taxes go up every year to pay for OVER immigration. Say it once more when your social security is underfunded because the trust is empty to pay for multitude programs for a public that WON'T assimilate and only come to America to cash in. GO TRUMP

Old 01-26-2017, 10:10 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Say this when terrorists blow up your neighborhood. Say it again when your taxes go up every year to pay for OVER immigration. Say it once more when your social security is underfunded because the trust is empty to pay for multitude programs for a public that WON'T assimilate and only come to America to cash in. GO TRUMP
The number of inaccuracies in that post is pretty astounding. I am not sure where to start so I won't as I am sure that anyone who actually believes this is not going to listen anyway. I suggest going to the Politics and Controversies forum. It is full of right wing, pro-Trump diatribes.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:59 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
^
Amen

Old 01-27-2017, 05:43 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
A 20% tariff on Mexican imports does not equal Mexico paying for it. It will be American corporations manufacturing there and the American consumer getting significant inflation to their products. Yes it will kill future investment in Mexico but it does not get to the goal of Mexico directly paying for a wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics