Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 10:02 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times

Advertisements

The richest guy in Mexico when they build that ridiculous 40 ft high wall is going to be the manufacturer of 41 ft ladders... I can't believe that people really buy into this simple-minded fantasy. Remember this is a guy who thought selling steaks through the Sharper Image was a great idea.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:11 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
The richest guy in Mexico when they build that ridiculous 40 ft high wall is going to be the manufacturer of 41 ft ladders... I can't believe that people really buy into this simple-minded fantasy. Remember this is a guy who thought selling steaks through the Sharper Image was a great idea.
I can't believe that people really think a wall is going to be the one and only border security measure. A wall will slow people down and make it harder. Any time you make something harder, less people will do it. Climbing up that ladder and back down another one takes time that lets the Border Patrol that was 5 miles away to respond to the alarm sensor and be there at the bottom waiting.

Did you ever wonder why prisons have walls?

Old 01-29-2017, 11:47 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,307,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
It's extremely simple. We import more than we export because the US$ value makes domestic production too expensive, and imports cheap. Drop the US$ value and that relationship disappears, domestic investment and production increase, and imports decline.

Your comparison to Haiti is beyond ridiculous.

Of course companies will invest in US production if US costs are competitive again. It's called profit.
RRuff, what’s ridiculous is your contention that USA deliberately reduce the U.S. dollar’s value within global currency markets. I’m striving to remain respectful but that’s similar to proposing we light our cigarettes and cigars with $100 bills. It will impress some people but are they who we wish to impress and is that the impression we wish to make? It’s certainly contrary to most, if not all our financial interests.

My remark regarding Haiti is an appropriate response to your contention. Of course, deliberately undermining our own economy will reduce the rate of investing within our nation.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:06 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,307,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I can't believe that people really think a wall is going to be the one and only border security measure. A wall will slow people down and make it harder. Any time you make something harder, less people will do it. Climbing up that ladder and back down another one takes time that lets the Border Patrol that was 5 miles away to respond to the alarm sensor and be there at the bottom waiting.

Oceangaia, excerpted from the post of 2;21 PM, 29Jan2017:

FinalMove, does the U.S. Congress mean to secure USA’s borders or are we going to spend a vast amount of money only for a wall to placate president Donald Trump’s ego?
If we intend to secure our borders regardless of motives or methods, (e.g. individual family incomes, or smuggling of drugs and other contraband, or national security threats), we need to additionally spend for security. We need additional spending and exercising of eminent domain to clear buildings and other edifices from our borders and install underground sensors.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:40 AM

The wall has always included plans for electronic sensors and support stations. That's why it costs billions to build. Some believe that a "virtual" wall is enough. I don't. I want us to be able to more than watch helplessly from afar while groups of illegals walk over.

At the end of the day, the ONLY thing that keeps an illegal from entering this country is a Border Patrol agent apprehending them, putting them in the back of his vehicle, and taking them to detention to await physical transport back. There is no wall or other barrier that you can build and walk away from and expect to be effective on it's own. It takes people resources. What a wall does is lets you better leverage your people resources.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:15 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:

If a prison's wall was in excess of 1500 miles it wouldn't be nearly as effective. There is nothing to suggest we will have enough CBP officers to actually monitor the wall

Old 01-30-2017, 09:21 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
The wall has always included plans for electronic sensors and support stations. That's why it costs billions to build. Some believe that a "virtual" wall is enough. I don't. I want us to be able to more than watch helplessly from afar while groups of illegals walk over.

At the end of the day, the ONLY thing that keeps an illegal from entering this country is a Border Patrol agent apprehending them, putting them in the back of his vehicle, and taking them to detention to await physical transport back. There is no wall or other barrier that you can build and walk away from and expect to be effective on it's own. It takes people resources. What a wall does is lets you better leverage your people resources.
This is incorrect. The wall won't cost billions to build because of support stations and electronic sensors. It will cost billions simply to build a wall since it is a massive undertaking with a boatload of work. To suggest it's going to cost billions because of those two things is silly

Old 01-30-2017, 09:51 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Exactly how do you think money will be sent to Mexico if not electronic transfers through banks and places like WU? I guarantee you the "fee" charged by coyotes and mules to carry it back will far exceed any transfer tax. The immigrants sending money back home will grumble "ay caramba" and pay the tax because they have no better alternative. They are already paying steep fees to cash their checks and send money.
Easy. Walk in to a walmart, buy a prepaid card and mail it. Many of them can be reloaded online. Or and e-gift card can be sent to anyone with an e-mail address. Or something like pay pal, or bitcoin, or nerd wallet. Or there is always the opportunity for someone to set up something like Hawala in Mexico.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawala

Old 01-30-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If a prison's wall was in excess of 1500 miles it wouldn't be nearly as effective. There is nothing to suggest we will have enough CBP officers to actually monitor the wall
If we don't have enough officers to monitor a wall then we certainly don't have enough to monitor an open field. The wall allows officers to monitor a larger area.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:00 AM

You clearly have no firsthand experience with the illegal immigrant community, most of whom have never heard of paypal much less bitcoin. Check out Western Union which is how most people send money back. Why are they paying 10% fees to do that if there are these free alternatives? As if the law cannot restrict gift card transfers as easily as bank wires...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics