Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 12:56 PM

120 posts, read 114,707 times

Advertisements

I work in NYC moved to NJ in mid November when filing taxes can I leave it as full year residence of NYC for 2016?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 05:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropg View Post
I work in NYC moved to NJ in mid November when filing taxes can I leave it as full year residence of NYC for 2016?
No. You must file a part year resident return in NY and resident return in NJ.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:09 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
There are various areas in the country that have simplifying reciprocal agreements that allow people to be taxed only once. New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut do not have such an agreement, so those who live in one entity while working in another will have to file taxes twice. There are credits in one state for taxes paid in another, but you will still have to double-file.

A reasonably up-to-date list of states that DO have reciprocal agreements can be found here...

States That Do Not Tax Certain Out-of-State Workers

Old 01-29-2017, 11:27 AM

120 posts, read 114,707 times
I was told to file fullyear nyc. I know about working in one state and being taxed for both. I bought the home and was still going back and forth to my old apartment (which I still have and sub leasing) up until 1st week of January. So therefore I did full year resident

Old 01-29-2017, 11:37 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
There are various areas in the country that have simplifying reciprocal agreements that allow people to be taxed only once. New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut do not have such an agreement, so those who live in one entity while working in another will have to file taxes twice. There are credits in one state for taxes paid in another, but you will still have to double-file.

A reasonably up-to-date list of states that DO have reciprocal agreements can be found here...

it can be very confusing too . live in pa and work in ny and ny gets paid first . you take any ny taxes off your pa taxes and pay any difference .

but live in pa and work in maryland and you pay pa taxes first .

Old 01-31-2017, 01:18 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post

That wasn't his question lol.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:20 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
I think there's a worksheet in the NYS forms for this. I file NYS non-resident, and it asks if you lived in NYS any part of the year.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:46 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
I was told to file fullyear nyc. I know about working in one state and being taxed for both. I bought the home and was still going back and forth to my old apartment (which I still have and sub leasing) up until 1st week of January. So therefore I did full year resident
When did you move your bed?

When did you change your mailing address?

Yes "where you lived" has some gray areas, granted, but be reasonable about it.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
...but live in pa and work in maryland and you pay pa taxes first .
That would be because you won't owe any taxes in Maryland. You would have filed an exemption (Form-507) with your MD employer when you first started work affirming your PA residence. PA tax would then have been withheld for you while not a penny would have been taken out for MD taxes. Residents of Virginia, West Virginia, and DC enjoy this same treatment thanks to Maryland's reciprocal agreements.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That wasn't his question lol.
But that WAS his answer. Along with everyone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics