Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 08:18 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,584,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
You don't worry about paying off the debt. You worry about balancing the budget. Because the REAL problem is that we BORROW 1/3 of our budget every year. The budget needs to be 100 percent financed by revenues.
While this may be a great thing, there are items which get in the way of doing this.

1. 2/3 of health care costs (ALL of them) are paid by he Federal Government. It's the "two santa claus" theory (both parties) - on these very forums you'll find many complaining about their $1K+ monthly premiums for a couple or family. Yet that doesn't start to cover the actual cost (9K per person per year).

2. Money borrowed if owed by ALL, whereas tax breaks, corporate welfare, health care subsidies and most other things represent money given to a few and taken from the rest. Since our country is run by the rich and corporations, they prefer that you and I and our children pay the bills and they get the cash now.

3. The Military Industrial Complex does not want to save even the "easiest" money. A recent study showed savings of 125 Billion per YEAR without any change in capabilities...and the study was immediately buried (you can read about it using the google).

And so the problem is that the same GREED that we seem to pray at the altar of also applies to big things...Trump can "work the bankruptcy system" and brag about it. Pols can cut taxes out of debt and deficit and tell you what a great thing they are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 08:31 PM

787 posts, read 638,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Your link really was a non event. You provided no commentary and linked to something that's very easy to find
Was it easy to find?

Then why do people ever ask about national debt if the numbers are there?

Now I feel better though. All I wanted was acknowledgement, even if you're going to pretend I didn't just change your life with that link you will pretend you knew about.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:32 PM

787 posts, read 638,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Awww.. are your feelings hurt?

Forum posting 101 lesson:
You can't just drop a link and call it a post.
At the least you need an introduction statement about why/how YOU think it's relevant...
and even better to also include a pertinent quote from the link.

hth
My feelings were hurt, not anymore.

The good I did for this forum, this nation, this generation, has been recognized. A more fulfilling feeling, I cannot experience.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:24 PM

18,488 posts, read 15,453,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Hyperinflation

Or.. Make a rule of Mandatory spending. I don't care if a CEO makes $75 million dollars this year. I care if he only spends $500,000 of it and invests the rest, essentially hording all that money. Come up with some type of rule like.. you can invest up to $3,000,000 of income a year. After that you can only invest 25% of it. So instead of a CEO making $75,000,000 and hording $74.5 million of it. They are forced to put 75% ($56 million) of it back into the economy, paying sales tax, creating jobs, etc. If they argue they can't figure out a way to spend that much money, then I argue you don't need that much money if you can't figure out how to spend it.
And where would just giving away money fit into your equation?

Old 02-03-2017, 08:31 AM

26,155 posts, read 21,399,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Was it easy to find?

Then why do people ever ask about national debt if the numbers are there?

Now I feel better though. All I wanted was acknowledgement, even if you're going to pretend I didn't just change your life with that link you will pretend you knew about.

My life has been changed because of you albeit brief periods of time I will never get back

Old 02-03-2017, 09:31 AM

4,224 posts, read 2,988,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
The early boomers started us on this path with Reaganomics bs. The later boomers are complicit with hugely expensive medical care and giveaways like Medicare Part D.
The "early boomers" were anti-war, anti-Nixon, and anti-Reagan. But society's problems have never arisen from people's birth dates. Rather they have arisen from the idiotic political notions that some people have foolishly fallen for. Maybe learn to distinguish groups of people not by how old they might be, but by the quality of the people and policies they have supported.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Let's see: drops the most eye opening and relevant link in this thread yesterday - no reps, or comments. Sounds about right.
LOL! The so-called "debt clock" is a mindless internet widget that has a connection to reality only at the moment when some low-grade IT guy periodically resets the parameters. There is nothing either "eye-opening" or "relevant" about it.

If you want actual information related to the public debt, try chasing out along the links provided at TreasuryDirect.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:51 AM

18,740 posts, read 8,358,569 times
May be more relevant for discussion:

http://ticdata.treasury.gov/Publish/mfh.txt

Old 02-03-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
The debt was entirely paid off in 1836...
It wasn't much money even back then, but the balance in 1836 was not zero, merely some tens of thousands of dollars above zero. And the only reason we actually went to such an extreme was to fulfill a promise the nation had long made to itself eventually to repay every penny that had been borrowed to finance the Revolutionary War. Those efforts had been seriously set back by the costs of the War of 1812 and a few other economic pitfalls encountered along the way, but amid much fanfare, we finally did reach the goal. And at the same time realized that we should never make that mistake again.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
May be more relevant for discussion:
http://ticdata.treasury.gov/Publish/mfh.txt
Considering that Social Security owns only a little less than the Top 5 foreign holders combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics