U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 AM

9,043 posts, read 12,216,398 times

Advertisements

Honestly, should this be news to anyone who buys food or drives?

Buffett says U.S. in recession | Reuters
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 07:50 AM

4,429 posts, read 6,055,488 times
Default Mr Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post

Jim Rogers was talking about a recession 6 months ago before most people really took heed.

Bloomberg.com: News

Heck in my personal view I really think the beginning of recession was back in august when the first information of the credit crisis began.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:20 PM

250 posts, read 891,440 times
Who are you going to believe, George Bush or Warren Buffett?

Old 03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Noc

1,436 posts, read 1,926,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnycakes View Post

Dubbya for $1000 Johny...I'm going with Dubbya

Old 03-03-2008, 03:15 PM

3,114 posts, read 7,157,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnycakes View Post

NEITHER....Buffett is like the richest or 2nd richest man in America, so a recession isnt going to hurt him.
Bush has been lieing to us for 7 years now as we all know, so why on earth would we believe him.
My vote is to believe the Easter Bunny....hes coming soon, so I'll ask him when he brings me my golden eggs!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:07 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,495,911 times
Buffett is fascinating, even if you're not into business or stocks.

There's a great biography of him, The Making of An American Capitalist. He had a pinball machine business as a kid, was a millionaire in his 20's. A fascinating American success story.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,304,787 times
Ya' think?

Quote:

Old 03-05-2008, 01:47 AM

3,852 posts, read 12,204,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
NEITHER....Buffett is like the richest or 2nd richest man in America, so a recession isnt going to hurt him.
Bush has been lieing to us for 7 years now as we all know, so why on earth would we believe him.
My vote is to believe the Easter Bunny....hes coming soon, so I'll ask him when he brings me my golden eggs!
your kidding right? You do know where buffet's wealth is held right? THE STOCK MARKET! However, I think buffet saw this coming which is why he buys solid companies. Most of his portfolio has been protected he has many recession proof stocks like WMT.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:49 AM

9,043 posts, read 12,216,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
your kidding right? You do know where buffet's wealth is held right? THE STOCK MARKET! However, I think buffet saw this coming which is why he buys solid companies. Most of his portfolio has been protected he has many recession proof stocks like WMT.
Warren Buffett is investing in what will be America's future, it's manufacturing infrastructure. When the Chinese stop sending us stuff, and they will, we're going to need factories, QUICK! Buffett is just being prudent investing in this sector.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:03 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,413,523 times
Quote:
Warren Buffett is investing in what will be America's future, it's manufacturing infrastructure. When the Chinese stop sending us stuff, and they will, we're going to need factories, QUICK! Buffett is just being prudent investing in this sector.
You are correct. We will see a move in the next 8 years to bring manufacturing back onshore. Buffet's investments, and anyone's investments in companies which do manufacturing onshore will thus grow exponentially. Additionally, this recession will be over quickly once the next President is in office. The biggest sucking sound financially right now is the Iraq War... once that is over and once the US Treasury is no longer raided by Congress to the degree it is today, it won't be hard to realize an economic turn-around. Will real estate prices completely recover?... No I don't think so. Will the stock market go back to double digit returns?... Not for a while. However, I think we'll see a lot more jobs, more controlled inflation, and a happier country with more businesses doing well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics