Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2017, 09:22 PM

3,499 posts, read 2,786,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
if people are at the polar ends, it means more people are doing better as well

people didn't get poor on their own but because they spent it to make someone else richer
No people are not doing good these days, people are pestimistic about the future. Young people living at home longer is just one symptom of this. As I said above, if people were doing good their wouldn't be so much anger and political extremes.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:28 PM

3,499 posts, read 2,786,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Thats because the haves are trying to make surfs out of the have nots. They dont want choice and competition in the market, they want one or 2 employers in a given area that you have to bow down too or you dont eat, much like the lords and barrons of old which turned into revolution in many cases, thats what we are seeing the precursours of today.

They like to say pretentious things like "americans are free" even though the eliets control much of the tangible assets and places of employment in the USA. Yes technically we are not slaves but we are for sure surfs

serf
sərf/
noun

noun: serf; plural noun: serfs
  1. an agricultural laborer bound under the feudal system to work on his lord's estate

We are bound by federal reserve notes and only a few masters to work for. IF you dont have federal resreve notes you will be denied food, housing, transport, etc.
I don't know if it's so much of a problem as the haves trying to make serfs out of the have nots. It's more that some haves feel this way especially on the Conservative side of things where as on the liberal side of things the haves want the have nots do better. But I do agree that too many people see the business side of things in a bright light compare to the goverment when both contribute to these problems. I just worry because the political divide is so big and people living longer at home creates more overall pessimism.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:29 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
With as ruthless as companies and the economy is getting can we really blame young people for not leaving the family home? Should we be allowing our friends and family to being exposed to the ruthlessness of companies who fire/lay off at the drop of a hat leaving the person on the streets if they were not still living at home.

Maybe people should stay at home until they have a house car and education PAID FOR that way they are not a slave to a "good" job and the only onus they have are taxes utilities and food which can be paid working anywhere so they dont have to claw and fight for the extraordinarly low number of actual good paying jobs out there?
It depends.

IF young people are really taking advantage of having low rent or now rent by living at home and saving, then yes, it's a good thing. However, there is a contingent of those living at home who are not capitalizing on that opportunity. Instead of banking money or paying off debt, they're taking that discounted rent and spending it on fun and unnecessary lifestyle expenses.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Depends on the family situation. My late husband died just 50 days after our youngest graduated high school. If he ever planned to leave town to go to school that quickly changed. I need a man around this house. He can stay as long as he wants. It doesn't make sense for us each to pay rent/mortgage each month.
So, um, is he supposed to live with you for the rest of your life and not have a life of his own until you die?

Old 02-25-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I agree with you and I am actually successful but I see what is going on and I am not blind to it and I would support a regime that would shackle crony capitists, usary lending practices, over inflated asset pricing, etc.

Again I am not talking about mom and pop operations I am talking about mega corps that have the weight to manipulate markets absent the barrel of a gun.
Your previous posts made it sound as if you were against all free enterprise. There are a lot of folks out there who don't understand the difference between true, free market capitalism, and Crony Capitalism. It wasn't evident that you understood this distinction in your previous posts.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
If you're into such social justice, get into the residential rental business and be a landlord. Charge super cheap rent and let us know how the business model fares 5 years from now.
Yeah, you start finding out it isn't just the corporations that are greedy, selfish, and uncaring.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:30 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
No...and a larger yes. Part of becoming an adult is learning to struggle and get through those hardships of supporting one's self. I'm all for making sure you do it debt-free, frugally, and safely, and there are many ways to go about it.

No one ever said life was going to be without hardship. If young people are living at home to avoid hardship, then shame on them. I think there is something character-building and eye-opening about learning what it's like to HAVE to choose between paying rent, or eating fast food; to have to forgo social activities for a while in order to pay off debt, or to know what it's like to be a little food insecure while you're waiting for your paycheck, and it turns out beans and rice WILL suffice for a week. Out of my siblings, I'm the only one who experienced this part of adulthood and while it was hard and few people understood, I was told I was mature than my peers and was better prepared to handle crap from life.

I get that employers suck, rent is high, student debt is high, and there is a lot of uncertainty. Let's be honest though-- there've been times in US history where young people had it much worse, were able to support themselves, save, get married, have families, and be debt-free or have little debt. Young people need to start thinking critically about whether heading straight to college is best for them, whether going into an apprenticeship program is better, working full time, etc. There are jobs that don't require a degree, and pay decent (13-17/hr) and would allow them to have the income they need to support themselves and save. At my last job, I found out the client service reps were making only $3 less than I was and a lot of them didn't have any college degrees. Young people could rent with other roommates, and yes that sucks too (btdt), but it keeps costs down AND forces you to learn how to be an adult around people you're only living with because it saves money.

A lot of parents these days are so focused on shielding their children from experiencing hardship, these kids are going to really freak out when crap really does hit the fan.
I agree with you. Both my kids have not lived at home since they left for college. They learn to take jobs and fend for themselves. One kid rent a room from a fraternity house and shared it with her friend. Cheap rent, $200 a month so she could do her internship. Life sucks but they are young, they are capable of handling it.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Since I have two living with me I will say no, I can't blame them. They would have their own places if they could, and they would love to, but the realities of Bay Area living prevent it. At least they have now both found full time work in industries where they can learn and grow and aren't juggling part time jobs and college anymore. Maybe someday they will relocate but for now it is what it is.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:35 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Your previous posts made it sound as if you were against all free enterprise. There are a lot of folks out there who don't understand the difference between true, free market capitalism, and Crony Capitalism. It wasn't evident that you understood this distinction in your previous posts.
You do realize that crony capitalism is a corporate - government relationship where the success of the business depends on the government doing something, right? Lockheed-Martin is an example as the largest government contractor. Agriculture subsidies are crony capitalism. The vast majority of the US economy is true free enterprise. They don't rely on the government to keep them alive.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
you have found the key to life, if everyone did this it would take leverage away from employers. Imagine the first time a boss said something condescending, slapped a table or even uttered the world down sizing and everyone just didn't show up to work the next day due to his behavior. EVERYONE, not just the amount they wanted down sized. The bolded needs to become a thing.

One person out of 9 pages of posts who gets it. Not being able to fire back at the work place is toxic to your soul, and not in an evil way but when the first table slap comes or talk of lay offs you just walk out right then and there. No one should have to tolerate poor behavior at work because they are living check to check. People need to pull together and stop this crap.
Yes, exactly. The problem is, people complain about the corporations but then they are out there every day supporting them with their dollars instead of saving/investing. People like to complain but they don't back up their talk with action and employers know it.

Even modestly increasing our personal savings rate from the current 5% up to 10% would have a significant effect in so many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics