U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:39 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,947,716 times

Advertisements

U.S. private sector jobs drop unexpectedly in Feb - Yahoo! News (broken link)

U.S. productivity revised up but labor costs mount - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Productivity growth slows sharply - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Can we all finally agree that America IS going to go into recession.

I remember back on august people were saying it's only the housing market and some credit problems that won't effect us. Then in the fall as the credit crisis really got rolling and the FED was cutting rates. People started saying the economy was slowing but we wouldn't reach recession. Then by the new year I was hearing that yeah we may get a couple of slow quarters maybe even a quarter of negative growth but there would be no "official" recession.
So now after all the happy talk has fallen flat and now the labor market is starting to feel the hurt. Can we finally all agree.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 07:08 PM

22,569 posts, read 15,986,091 times
No, we're not in a recession or going into one at all. Don't be fooled. What's happening now is that we're simply going through a slowdown in growth. There's still plenty of people working and being good consumers.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:22 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,267,920 times
Ha ha...I know right... I love when people tell us things like that as if we are going to believe it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No, we're not in a recession or going into one at all. Don't be fooled. What's happening now is that we're simply going through a slowdown in growth. There's still plenty of people working and being good consumers.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:10 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,708,366 times
It's pretty simple -

We can all agree we are in a recession when we have data showing two consecutive quarters of negative growth.

Consumer confidence is an important part of the economy. I am not for burying bad news but the constant drumming of it by the press is not helpful either.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:53 PM

Default Kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
It's pretty simple -

We can all agree we are in a recession when we have data showing two consecutive quarters of negative growth.

Consumer confidence is an important part of the economy. I am not for burying bad news but the constant drumming of it by the press is not helpful either.
While you are very correct that we need two consecutive quarter of negative growth. I believe by next year we will have achieved that. Of course this is conjecture until it happens. But I just have seen how wrong all these so called "experts" have been thus far. And the FED's interventions have not done much to help.
I looking at the data and numbers everyday coming in on jobs/labor, inflation, consumer confidence, cost of commodities, continued credit problems, etc, etc. And I couldn't sit here and with a strait face and tell you that more than likely a we will not have a recession. I know that a lot of people are tired of the recession drum beat. But I was and am tired of "It will never happen." sound bites I heard leading up to and still (in some publications) heard today.

Not that not to say that America is going to crumble into dust or anything. In fact if you are a smart investor there are going to be some really good deals coming up really soon.
But let stop kidding ourselves we are in more trouble than we are letting on.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,455,059 times
Quote:
I tend to agree. I just do not see us as going into a recession. What I see is more "stagflation"- a real slow down with higher inflation. You can thank Bush and Bernanke for that.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:20 PM

22,569 posts, read 15,986,091 times
And the millions of people who foolishly voted Bush back into office in 2004. If you're in the stock market, please vote the Democrats back into the White House. Research has proven, with only an exception or two, such as President Carter, that the stock market performs best when a Democrat is president.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 PM

Default agree

Quote:
And the millions of people who foolishly voted Bush back into office in 2004. If you're in the stock market, please vote the Democrats back into the White House. Research has proven, with only an exception or two, such as President Carter, that the stock market performs best when a Democrat is president.
This we agree on. While I do admire McCain service to our country both past and present. I don't think he will 1. bolster confidence enough to turn the economy around anytime soon and 2. I don't think he can/will focus our country toward new industries where we can thrive.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:46 PM

5,813 posts, read 9,440,484 times
Smile Can we stop outsourcing jobs?

Can we? Please?

I am so tired of calling customer service and winding up with a guy with a script that can't even spell my last name (Miller).

Old 03-07-2008, 07:23 AM

2,305 posts, read 2,803,264 times
Quote:

The Anti-Buisness Democrats will help the stock market. Please explain that for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics