Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 05:25 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,085 times

Advertisements

Question for those that are more knowledgeable than me. I'm 37, considering a possible job change and the retirement plan is a big factor. Which one is better. To put 10% of my earnings away into profit sharing until I retire, (which who knows if that will even be possible in the next 25-30 years),. Or, have a pension that currently pays .60 cents on the dollar and just get that when I retire? I appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 06:02 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
To put XX% of my earnings away into profit sharing until I retire...
Is this part of a 401K pretax & matched retirement plan? Maybe so.
Otherwise... the last place to INVEST retirement money is with the same company where you work.

Quote:
Or, have a pension that currently pays .60 cents on the dollar and just get that when I retire?
The NEW company has a pension plan?

Old 04-04-2017, 06:32 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Otherwise... the last place to INVEST retirement money is with the same company where you work.

My current company has the pension. It's through the Teamsters

Old 04-04-2017, 07:10 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Assuming the #of hours available and wage rates are comparable...
so that whichever job you take will gross similarly...
the Teamster Pension will be hard to beat as a retirement component.

That said... you should also do other things like funding a pretax IRA
(and investing in one or two of the quality index funds). LINK

Old 04-05-2017, 08:40 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:
Question for those that are more knowledgeable than me. I'm 37, considering a possible job change and the retirement plan is a big factor. Which one is better. To put 10% of my earnings away into profit sharing until I retire, (which who knows if that will even be possible in the next 25-30 years),. Or, have a pension that currently pays .60 cents on the dollar and just get that when I retire? I appreciate any input.
What happens if the company goes under? Employees at Worldcom and Enron had great profit-sharing and pension plans!

See a good fee-based CFP. Open an IRA, either Roth or traditional, and fund it every paycheck to the max. If there's a 401(k) plan, fund it as much as you can and hold a properly-balanced mix of assets.

Do not put all of your eggs into one basket!

Old 04-05-2017, 09:14 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Profit sharing doesn't have to be invested with your company. My wife has a profit sharing plan and she gets X amount at the end of each year and invests it into Vanguard index funds.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:26 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
You might be able to have your cake and eat it, too.

Quote:
How much longer do you need to work at your current company before you are vested in the Teamsters pension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Profit sharing doesn't have to be invested with your company. My wife has a profit sharing plan and she gets X amount at the end of each year and invests it into Vanguard index funds.
And this is a good point. Exactly how is the profit-sharing plan at the new company set up?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:30 AM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Stay with what you have, if you can stand it.

Funding their own retirement has not panned out for the great majority of people. We have several friends who did not understand the complexity of managing their own money or were badly disappointed in the results provided by a professional.
Google up "Failure of 401k plans".

It all sounds so simple and so sure on paper. Invest X. Then spend Y.
Late last year a relative got The Call from his professional money manager. The manager had turned in steady results for years. Then something (I don't know what) didn't work out.
Even well connected Bernie Madoff couldn't really deliver the steady return he claimed.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:49 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
why can't you invest while earning a pension? or does the job not pay enough?

rather, if the other job pays a lot more, then put in more than 10%...

going by user name, and teamster... truck drivers/teamster have been having a pension fight the past few years, the pensions have been slowly getting reduced, it might be 0.30 to the dollar in 30 years. Should invest on your own even if you get a pension

Old 04-05-2017, 04:01 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Should invest on your own even if you get a pension
This is very sound advice. Opening an IRA or a Roth IRA is a good move for everyone, and you can always save using taxable accounts, too.

And if you're not too many years away from vesting, you could stay with your current position just long enough to vest into the pension, and then see if you could find another job that offers profit-sharing. Then you could have both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics