Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 05:36 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,016,059 times

Advertisements

You can thank FOX News and the like for that. If you tell a lie often enough, people will begin to believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 02:51 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,567,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
There has not been an economically successful Republican administration in more than a hundred years. Believe it or not, recessions, depressions, and market crashes are not favorable to business.
Usually, bubbles precede crashes. Intelligent people realize that conditions favorable to certain outcomes were created earlier. You can't just look at a calendar date of an event and say that all the causes only occurred at that time. That's why many people view "economists" as merely political hacks. It didn't really matter who was in the White House or Congress when the last two bubbles were created. It didn't matter who was pro-regulation since the federal government didn't enforce the regulation on the books or prevented others from enforcing consumer protections.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:57 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
It's been very good for my daughter. Her revenue for the first quarter equals the whole of last year revenue.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:54 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,244 times
I work primarily with foreigner visitors, so I have pretty much been put out of work, along with my coworkers. Our entire industry has been hit pretty hard. So stupid to complain about foreigners taking the jobs of Americans, and then ignore how many American jobs they actually create. Pretty sure more jobs have been lost thanks to Trump's immigration policies than have been saved - and the handful of low-paid manufacturing jobs he saved can't compare to the thousands of professional jobs being lost because we depend on foreigners.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:11 PM

1,067 posts, read 623,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
You can thank FOX News and the like for that. If you tell a lie often enough, people will begin to believe it.
Perhaps you should turn off MSNBC, step away from the tv and take a nice walk.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Usually, bubbles precede crashes.
Actual "bubbles" are extremely rare. They are however frequently invented and then pointed to by craven propagandists trying to develop cover stories for those whose basic ineptitude led to bad outcomes. There was neither a dot-com bubble nor a housing bubble for instance, yet volumes have been written about them as if they were as real as the Community Reinvestment Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
That's why many people view "economists" as merely political hacks.
Such are often the beliefs of those who don't but wish they did have an actual background in economics. More rational people are able to see and take honest practitioners of the dismal science for who they actually are and what they actually do.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Perhaps you should turn off MSNBC, step away from the tv and take a nice walk.
Perhaps you should be less formulaic in your comments. The simple facts are that FOX News is part of what was deliberately built to be a means of driving non-conservative thought out of the marketplace of ideas. The lot of these right-wing outlets exists only to disinform people. They play to emotion, not to intellect.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:11 PM

992 posts, read 875,288 times
Good as usual. Would have been better with Clinton.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
I didn't read all the pages, so someone might have beat me to it, but in general, the world we live in during a president's first term, is the world created by the prior president. Not 100%, but to a very large extent, especially at the beginning of their term. If your area is doing well, that is still thanks to Obama's policies. If your area is doing poorly, you can blame Obama. Nothing Trump has done has had any major impact yet. And short of the real possibility of nuclear war, it is unlikely to make any major changes any time soon.

The US economy is a huge ship. A new hand can turn the tiller, but it takes time for the ship to actually turn. Of course, a big enough storm can swamp the boat altogether in very short order.

My area is doing VERY well, as it has been for the last few years.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
I asked this question a while back (//www.city-data.com/forum/econo...where-you.html) and had some interesting response.

Wondering how it is in your neck of the wood since Trump ran, won, got inaugurated . . .

I had written "I'm in the North East around NYC. I see a lot less shoppers and shopping bags than usual in the malls for this time of the year. Of course that can be attributed to other factors, including great weather this summer here.

I see lots and lots of unsold inventories in garden shops and nurseries, even though I am told that they ordered about the same amount of stock as last year.

Grocery stores are beating each other silly with discounts even though there are basically just 2 major players in the area."

Seems still true. There is more optimism and people who (I think) couldn't have cared about autoworkers in the Central Time Zone two years ago now think it's the right thing that those jobs are coming back.
Fine, because in the D.C. area the population is generally very well educated, and having the federal government doesn't hurt either.

But I doubt we'll have strong economic growth until at least 2022, and we could slip into another recession.

As to those autoworkers: When you vote for someone who doesn't give a crap about the environment and the consequences that will have in the future, who doesn't care about democracy and could harm it (think of all the lives that were lost to secure our freedom, over the last three centuries), who is willing to throw millions off healthcare (which would lead to loss of life, unfortunately), and who is unstable and could really harm our national security, Then I don't think those people deserve those jobs!!! But it's OK, they won't come back. They'll be automated or demand will be less due to the economy. Oh, and how about America actually starts making good cars for a change!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics