Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 12:10 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,878 times

Advertisements

I think there was a lot of optimism when he took office that everything was going to change !snap! overnight. Doesn't work that way.

However, house prices went up and there was some sort of buying frenzy, a real sellers market beginning, some sort of bubble.

Here, there are a lot of retirees. When their 401K's are up people are more apt to spend a bit more. And when gas is relatively low they have more to spend. We are having more phone calls for business. A lot of pent-up desires. People tired of waiting to do things.

So yes things seem a bit better. I did notice this trend though before he took office, last year seemed like it started. Maybe people anticipating some sort of change whatever might be better.

Regardless of all this, I have noticed groceries continue to rise and my savings interest rate still stinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 07:57 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I'm retired.

I live in a government town with government contractors mostly in the science/engineering fields. The current unemployment rate here is 4.8, the same as it was in October of last year.

I haven't shopped for non-drug/food items in a brick and mortar store for the last 11 years so I have no observations that way.

I always take US vacations in the Spring before Memorial Day (to avoid kids/families) and go to non-tourist destinations so no observations (seeing more or less people) there, either.

Gas in my neighborhood is $2.11 for regular. Gas Buddy updated 1 hr ago.

My rent was not raised at all the last two times I signed my annual lease, last time being just last month.

I think it cost the same to renew my car registration as it did last year. The price for regular plates is $24/year. I think it has been that rate for the 10 years I have lived here. There is no inspection or emissions testing if you don't live in the big cities.

You can still go out to lunch here for under $10.

The average residential electricity rate in my town is 10.43¢/kWh. I don't know if that is high or low.

We have no toll roads here. The state parks and national parks are free and that includes parking. There are no paid parking garages in my town and no parking meters.

The COLA for my pension was less than my health insurance increase but I have a decent pension and am living in a low cost of living state so I don't feel any financial stress. I'm doing fine.

Now, I'm going to Delaware next week. Toll roads, fees for parks, more expensive meals, the gas is $2.29 (gas Buddy updated half hour ago).

Old 04-22-2017, 11:40 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I wonder how long that local supermarket will stay open or won't resort to raising prices.

Anyway as everyone else has said it is far to early to tell. But expect a big boom in military based towns.
The supermarkets near me have been raising wages because they are trying to compete with all the new warehouses for workers. The workers will go to the warehouse for $15 an hour/fulltime/benefits instead of the $9 an hour supermarket job with no benefits and minimal hours. The only workers the supermarket can get are ones that call off, no show, or come in drunk or stoned. Crap wages= crap workers.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:56 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,681 times
I shop at a variety of grocery stores in my area, and I don't see any employees like that at all.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:01 PM

106,561 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i should send you some , we have loads of them .

Old 04-23-2017, 05:36 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
They say that supermarket and fast food jobs are for teenagers or retireees. That may have been the case decades ago but no more. Everywhere I go now I see older people working the Mick Dick's drive thru, or I see a 60 year old guy stocking the shelves at the supermarket.

This is what caused the $15 an hour min wage protests awhile ago. These aren't kids working for pocket change, but older people (often displaced workers) actually trying to make a living.

The kids today are being pushed to focus more on studying (as they should) instead of working a dead end Mick Dick's job.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i should send you some , we have loads of them .
I'm sure that the groceries here could have found and hired staff who "call off, no show, or come in drunk or stoned" had they truly put their minds to it. It does seem that all of them went in a very different direction however.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The kids today are being pushed to focus more on studying (as they should) instead of working a dead end Mick Dick's job.
Indeed, Ozzie and Harriet are both dead and the number of minimum wage workers who are married with a spouse present in the home is about 23% higher than the number who are teenagers.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:56 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
the economy in FL was already on the upswing, Trump gets no credit for that -

Old 04-23-2017, 08:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Too soon to tell due to Trump. That said I am a mixed bag from Arizona's minimum wage increase. It went from $8.25 to $10 after the proposition passed. I voted for it only because of the paid sick leave mandate, NOT the minimum wage. My problem is what I do for my "9-5" isn't really minimum wage (special education teacher assistant) yet in two years, it will be. It pays over $11 right now. My other work (which is far more inconsistent mind you) got an increase to pay more than my day job and that was over the $10 as per the prop. The suburban economy by me is up due to a lot of home building and sales in the last few years), lots of stores and restauraunts opening up but that was the case even before Trump was elected (and voters voted for Arizona's minimum wage increase)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics