Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:49 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times

Advertisements

We have Verizon. Never a problem with coverage, and I live out in the boonies.

I also own stock in both Verizon and Sprint, but I would never switch to a Sprint phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 02:12 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Has anyone tried the other companies that are cheaper than Verizon but run on the Verizon network?

Along with the "unlimited" data plan that they just released, they moved some things around so I was able to get more and pay less. Line access prices increased but the overall data package, if split among a few people, ends up being cheaper. So my next bill will be $20 less and then eventually it'll be $40 less.

I do miss companies signing contracts for "cheaper phones."
My brother and a few of my friends did. They say they use the exact network, but I'm not sure if they have access to run on all of Verizon's network as they service wasn't as good as Verizon.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:51 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_slayer View Post
i left verizon for t-mobile 2 years ago best choice i have ever made.. horrible customer service after having a phone getting ripped off and they didn't shut it down right away that took the morons a month to do!! i don't understand the whole concept of a line access fee a smart phone access fee is or was an extra 20.00 a month on top of the rate plan and yes att does this to nothing more than greed!!! i should not have to pay an access fee to access my own phone on top of the rate plan!!! and before i left em 2 years ago i noticed that my bills kept climbing up nearing 200 a month for a single smartphone WTF. verizon is just not worth it to me. iv'e had no problems with t mobile never missed a call customer support is awsome and 24-7 unlike the others. it's awsome what the ceo of t mobile is doing to the wireless industry!!! i get 5 bars no matter where i go unlike my friends verizons phone wich averages between 2-3 bars, my internet is alot faster on t mobile than my friends as i get DL speeds between 600-700 MBPS and he's lucky to get 40 MBPS. and t mobile will give you the network extender free or with a 25.00 DEP as well as the asus router wich is awsome on a loan they don't milk you to death verizon told me that i had to buy there network extender i told em to **** off and i didn't have to pay a DEP for either of the devices with t mobile
Two points. If my phone gets stolen, I can brick in minutes thanks to "Find My iPhone". I am sure Android has a similar feature. Take some personal responsibility for your life.

Second the difference between five bars and 2-3 is negligible. (BTW where I live you get zero bars with TM) No difference in call quality and not much with data speed.

600-700 MBPS download??? Do you come from the future where 5G is available. Sorry, but 40 is blazing and is the best on average you can expect from all the carriers. Yea we have one newer VZ tower that spits out over 60 MBPS. Gosh I can stream videos and do whatever I want and more with that speed. Or even at 10 MBPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Has anyone tried the other companies that are cheaper than Verizon but run on the Verizon network?

Along with the "unlimited" data plan that they just released, they moved some things around so I was able to get more and pay less. Line access prices increased but the overall data package, if split among a few people, ends up being cheaper. So my next bill will be $20 less and then eventually it'll be $40 less.

I do miss companies signing contracts for "cheaper phones."
Well you did pay more for service with those contract phones. I've looked at those cheaper Verizon network companies and the savings ($10-$15 per month) for two lines were not worth the limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
My brother and a few of my friends did. They say they use the exact network, but I'm not sure if they have access to run on all of Verizon's network as they service wasn't as good as Verizon.
Point made and you have slower data speeds and lack the option to buy more data if you have a busy month-we travel and the ability to get more 4G data on the spot is handy.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:33 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
Unlimited data seems to have become the standard. The concept of "getting more" seems to have become obsolete.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:26 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
I switched in 2015. Saved $40 a month for essentially the same thing.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:17 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Well you did pay more for service with those contract phones. I've looked at those cheaper Verizon network companies and the savings ($10-$15 per month) for two lines were not worth the limitations.
Now (just this past month) we pay less for the service. Before it was the same price whether subsidized or not.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times
T mobile forced Verizon to offer unlimited. Tmobile decided to try lots of customer add on's and special deals to pull customers starting around 2013. It worked, they built enough of a base to have the cash flow to invest in their network. Verizon at the time was seeing huge profits by having little good competition, they did have the best network, they were making insane profit per subscriber (which is one of the reasons people hate them they felt (and indeed to some extent were) ripped off.)

I switched to Tmobile from Verizon when my grandfathered plan died and I had a 25% increase. My bill went from $150 for 2 lines to $105 (now even lower $95 with taxes and fees) That's over $500 a year I was willing to accept a slip in service for that. First year I found some dead spots I would say their service area was 10 years behind Verizon, but not bad 98% of the time we had service. Over the last few years it has gotten better, I travel a lot for work up and down the east coast, and almost all the dead spots are gone. At this point the service for me is pretty comparable to 2014 Verizon. Most of these improvements happened in the last year and required new phones with new bands to take full advantage.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:06 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
I switched to Tmobile from Verizon when my grandfathered plan died and I had a 25% increase. My bill went from $150 for 2 lines to $105 (now even lower $95 with taxes and fees) That's over $500 a year I was willing to accept a slip in service for that. .
I guess a lot depends on your data needs. We have Verizon and with taxes and fees we pay about $87 a month. We run about 2-3 gigs a month for data.

My previous post on current T-Mobile prices vs what we pay was off by $7. But still. I am not willing to pay $13 More a month for less coverage, but that is just me.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:01 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I had Verizon for a few years, but I am a very light user and ended up switching to Page plus. I am on the same network but pay $12 a month instead of $40. I don't even use data. There is WiFi everywhere and since I have Xfinity Internet anywhere there is a Xfinity modem I can connect.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:17 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I had Verizon for a few years, but I am a very light user and ended up switching to Page plus. I am on the same network but pay $12 a month instead of $40. I don't even use data. There is WiFi everywhere and since I have Xfinity Internet anywhere there is a Xfinity modem I can connect.

The Page Plus Plan for $12 ($10 with Auto Refill) is good for 250 minutes, 250 texts, and 10 MB of data on the Verizon Network but 4G phones are not eligible.

Total Wireless is $25/Month ($23.75 with Auto Refill) for 1 Line + Unlimited Talk and text on the Verizon Network.

The PPP can start a new month early if you run out of minutes. A good rule of thumb for light talkers is to buy the PPP plan but if in the 12 month time period you renew 24 times or more, than switch to the Total plan. Both Page Plus and Total Wireless are owned by the same corporation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics