Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:10 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The profit you kiddies consider a dirty word is the entrepreneur's just reward for the risk of his/her capital; -- and every time the little folks in the Great Lefty Playpen start pointing in the same direction and grunting in the same key, the price (reward) for risking the fruits of one's labor goes up.
Just reward? How much is just? If only you'd have similar awareness of the grunting in the Great Righty Playpen. Together both sides of the playpen are quite a symphony of BS!

Old 04-29-2017, 10:56 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Really you know how much housing is all across the country? What is your idea of what is cheap?
I know a couple of states, entire states, where housing is very cheap for a good piece of property, including house. I'm not going to share that on this thread because I don't want the entitlement crowd moving there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So your choice of housing is different, but should the need to survive on be free or very very cheap. I mean, we need power, water, gas (heat, cook) without those, we couldnt cook, heat our homes, water to drink. shouldnt least they be free as a need to survive?
No matter what you do, at some point you're going to have to work for things.

If we use cash, it means that you are making a deal with someone. They say, "this is how much cash I want for this" and you say "ok". Or go without. Where do you get the cash?

If we use other items for bartering, you are making a deal with someone. They say, "I want 75 chickens a month for providing you with 1000 gallons of clean water", and you say, "ok". Or go without. Where do you get the chickens?

If we use labor for labor, you are making a deal with someone. They say, "I want you to plow this land this week, then I want you to paint my house the next week, then I want you to repair my car the following week, etc" and you say "ok". Or go without. Where do you get the tools and the skills needed? How did you pay for those tools and the skills needed?

That's how it works. No one is entitled to someone elses product or labor simply because they think they should "just get it because we need it".

If you don't want to participate in that type of society, then go live in the woods by yourself. Oh! Dang it, you're still going to have to work because no one is going to build your shelter for you, collect your water for you, sterilize your water for you, build your fires for you, trap your food for you...

No matter what you do, you're going to have to work. Stating that you should "just be given" all of the things that you want, including, apparently, 24/7 a/c means that you want to take from another against their will.

That's called "theft".

Old 04-30-2017, 12:07 AM

10,740 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I do not know about free but housing should be cheaper. When people are spending a majority of their income on housing that is a problem. If we made housing less expensive people would have more income freed up.
How are "we" going to make housing less expensive?

Old 04-30-2017, 12:43 AM

14 posts, read 10,413 times
Housing prices are a function of supply and demand. If you are unable to compete with peers in your community then you should move somewhere where housing is less desirable (cheaper).

If you would like to compete then you should consider self-educating yourself which is the most rapid way to increase your earnings potential.

You could also become grateful for your running water, lights and other accoutrements available to you in this great country. Louis Hayes does some great work on this subject of being grateful for paying bills.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:15 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Can you give a list of the better infrastructure, low cost countries? And the tax burden on the citizens of those countries would be great, as well.
Having a knee-jerk, built-in preference for private sector goods and services over public sector goods and services turns out to be a peculiarly American form of irrationality.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Sorry, that was tried in what used to be called the Soviet Union.
Not THIS again! It's as overworn as Hitler or Alinsky.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That's how it works. No one is entitled to someone elses product or labor simply because they think they should "just get it because we need it".
Two of the basic reasons why humans form societies to begin with are risk-sharing and redistribution of income. It is only hermits, recluses, and other forms of sociophobe who manage to see things differently.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBLevy View Post
Housing prices are a function of supply and demand.
Which in turn depend directly on a host of other factors. Keep in mind that the notion of supply-and-demand doesn't actually explain very much. Those x-like graphs are really just a cartoon that helps illustrate one small aspect of economic behavior.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Heres a movie you might enjoy,"Alone in the wilderness" about Dick Proeneke living off the land in Alaska=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

If you want everything for free his adventure is the only way i can see to do it,or you could just go on welfare whereby everything is free.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:05 AM

Everything is free on welfare? I hadn't heard that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics