Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 03:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Police Dept highly recommends it as an anti crime measure. Particularly out here in the equestrian properties (no street lights) they push to light the properties up at night. We light the center island in our cul de sac as well.
Streets lights enable crime.

We lived in a county where if you wanted a streetlight you paid for it. Our neighborhood had no streetlights until the paranoid people from Seattle started moving in. Right away, they paid for a streetlight and parked their RV under it. It was broken into a 3:00 in the morning with two weeks.

Likewise, had a gang of kids breaking into cars. They were finally caught when they moved their operations from town with streetlights to an area without streetlights. Somebody woke up and saw that the flashlight caught their attention and called the police.

The best crime prevention light....is one connected to a motion detector. Everything stays dark and invisible until somebody steps on your property and they become fully illuminated.

Police are just people. Crime studies no effect or a slight negative effect (more crime) when streetlights are installed. There are also significant negative effects on human health from nighttime lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 03:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Streets lights enable crime.

We lived in a county where if you wanted a streetlight you paid for it. Our neighborhood had no streetlights until the paranoid people from Seattle started moving in. Right away, they paid for a streetlight and parked their RV under it. It was broken into a 3:00 in the morning with two weeks.

Likewise, had a gang of kids breaking into cars. They were finally caught when they moved their operations from town with streetlights to an area without streetlights. Somebody woke up and saw that the flashlight caught their attention and called the police.

The best crime prevention light....is one connected to a motion detector. Everything stays dark and invisible until somebody steps on your property and they become fully illuminated.

Police are just people. Crime studies no effect or a slight negative effect (more crime) when streetlights are installed. There are also significant negative effects on human health from nighttime lights.
We have no interest or intent to install street lights. Not an issue. The police however do like wall and porch lighting. I believe they think it makes it easier to spot prowlers. We do maintain some local lighting in the middle of the cul de sac but more to avoid a driving problem with dogs or kids as the view around the center island is limited. I am considering using motion detectors or cameras to light up the place on activation...we can light up like a carnival if it all is turned on at once. We have cans all around the house, floods up the trees and walkway lighting.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:53 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
My electric bill runs about $20 a month unless we have a very hot spell in the summer and it can go up to $40 or more because of air-conditioning use. No type of light bulb inside my townhouse is going to make any sort of meaningful difference in the cost of my electricity.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:10 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
We've only put 2 LEDs in our home. One in a hall that's stays on all night and one in our living room. We also own a restaurant and installed all LEDs there. We need to keep the lighting consistent and who wants bulbs burning out while customers are there. But we aren't home very much and we don't keep on extra lights, so LEDs won't be as beneficial for us.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:57 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
I have never noticed a savings from light bulbs. My kitchen uses those old 4 foot tube lights, 2x2 and I don't see a significant cost in my electric bill.

What uses the most electricity in my home is my AC, 12 months in south Florida, then my fridge and water heater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics