Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:25 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
so shop at stores with the stocker/cashier... and don't use the automated/self process

but if people aren't willing to give up their own "convenience"; why would companies give up theirs?
A lot of those stores still sell stuff made by machines, from outside the United States where slave wages are paid. Shouldn't we only patronize a store which organically grows it's cotton, picks it by hand, spindles it into thread by hand, then looms the thread into fabric by hand. Really if you want to go natural, go all the way.

My choice is to go where convenience, customer service, and cost are all decent. You may prefer to wait a year or two for a new towel and pay a few thousand for it, many may not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 02:31 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the problem with these kinds of articles is they never consider the up stream and down stream effects on all the other business that deal with companies involved in automation products .

every business in the chain effects every other business's outcome they come in contact with.

The REAL problem is these articles are written by journalists who couldn't pass Econ 101, have never signed the front of a paycheck, and don't understand how businesses create value and are then compensated for it.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:33 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
For example I recently bought 10 polo shirts for a total of $33 dollars including the tax and delivery.
which website is that?

Old 05-22-2017, 02:33 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
I'll stay off the subject a little more... being an installer for TR is different than a contract with them to provide tires for resale.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:20 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
which website is that?
Jiffy shirts. I buy the Jerzees brand. I highly recommend the 50:50 blend for either pocket T shirts or the polo shirts. The fabric does not pill, or fade or fall apart and it wears really well.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:01 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
All this automation and stores closing is only going to cause a revolution shortly. You will see mom and pop stores starting to come back because people miss it and prefer to go to the store. I hardly ever shop online because of one main reason...if there is a problem with my order it's a pain in the butt to repack it and ship it back. Then i have to wait for a new one to come back. Nothing beats hopping in the car and taking a 5 minute drive to return something and i get a replacement in a total of under an hour not days like online.

The young people believe technology and internet are the only answer and the best answer but i just proved a major issue with it...returns.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:32 PM

106,667 posts, read 108,810,853 times
data shows other wise . retailers are closing in droves .

Old 05-22-2017, 08:47 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
data shows other wise . retailers are closing in droves .
Stores are closing, and stores are opening.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...ng-stores.aspx

These retailers are bucking the store closure trend

https://nrf.com/resources/annual-ret...-100-retailers

https://nrf.com/fastest-50-growing-retailers-2017

What people that do not really understand business do not realize, is stores have been closing for the last 100 years, and then opening new ones in other locations.

When a shopping mall is located in a declining neighborhood, where the shoppers are steering away from that neighborhood, the lease runs out, and they close the store before it starts losing money. They are also opening stores right and left in better neighborhoods that attract shoppers.

About the time leases run out (normally about 20 years), stores give up that location as in that 20 years the shopping center is run down, and needs rehabbed. They move to a new, bright area of town which will help attract shoppers.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:54 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
The retail new seems very clear. Sears is hanging by a thread with the experts predicting bankruptcy. Macy is closing hundreds of stores. Pennys is not much better. I am not sure about Target or Staples, but the stores near me are empty. Sure there are some winners; mainly the large home centers, Costco, Walmart and Sams Club. Lumber and food purchases don't really fit the internet buying model at least not so far.

I am definitely living in a "better" neighborhood with some population growth, extremely low unemployment, and high wages. There are no stores opening here or right or left of here. The two closest grocery stores have closed. These were large stores that had been doing well for years. The Sport Authority store is vacant and has been for the past year. The big 6th Avenue store closed several years ago and the store is falling down and the whole adjacent strip mall has been closed. Meanwhile the delivery trucks are dropping off more packages than ever.

This is not just some stores coming and going. This is a major shift and retailing will never go back to what it once was. If you stick your head in the sand and try to pretend otherwise, time will prove you wrong.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:16 AM

106,667 posts, read 108,810,853 times
the funny thing is in survey after survey most consumers said they rather buy local . they want to kick the tires , smell it ,taste it and in some instances have it now
but un-competitive prices ,selection and sales tax have made purchasing on line so much more popular .

just look at some of the ridiculous things local retailers have done like gnc , barnes and noble and other stores , that require you to pay a membership fee so you can get the same price you get every day on line . look at what netflix did to blockbuster's marketing plan with high rental fees .

technology will always keep changing the way we do business and the jobs created and lost . those who can adapt will succeed . the rest will spend their working careers chasing ghosts .

in the mean time i have a full class room tomorrow at work , of newbee's to train for the company . they want careers in selling or designing automation and motor control components .

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-23-2017 at 04:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics