Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 06:58 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

A jobs threat worse than mass store closures could fire more than 7 million retail workers

It does seem likely. In NYC where MW hits $15 in 18 months, I am seeing stores doubling (or more) self checkouts now, and taking out manned registers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 07:05 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
brick and mortar stores are being phased out anyway .

the huge retailers on line have been causing big booms in hiring in shipping and supply chain jobs .

someone has to handle , pack and deliver all this stuff on local levels . many on line retailers are opening big local warehouses to serve geographic areas .

supply chain jobs in warehousing , fedex ,ups , etc have all grown big time because of the way going to market is changing .

retail stores are a dying breed except for what can't be done the same day you want it.

we buy our groceries on line now . fresh direct opened a huge warehouse in the Bronx hiring hundreds of people, drivers , pickers , warehouse people ,etc . local supermarkets have been closing .

peapod is doing the same thing and offering the same services , they too have hired loads of people .

unskilled labor can adapt .

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-21-2017 at 07:15 AM..

Old 05-21-2017, 04:18 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

someone has to handle , pack and deliver all this stuff on local levels . many on line retailers are opening big local warehouses to serve geographic areas .

that someone is a robot at many an Amazon DC.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:21 PM

could be but that robot has to have a supplier of parts and automation gear with a warehouse and staff and sales people to sell those parts to a robotic builder who needs people on all levels to build ,sell and design those robotics .all those goods go ups ,fedex or usps creating lots more jobs. we need factories and manufacturer warehouses and sales staff to provide us with components .

then those robotics have to go to companies that do the installations with all their staff.

jobs change but demand for other positions on all levels crop up all over .

i worked for a wholesaler of automation equipment and electrical supplies . we went from an 8 million dollar company to 100 million today . not only have we hired hundreds but we created jobs and opportunity for all our suppliers who sell us , and those they interface with and we are the tip of the iceberg .

in fact this company below is not in the automation business . all 118 employees were being let go .

we are the ones buying them saving all their jobs and we will train them so they not only do what they do but will also have access to our automation lines .

the positive effects and opportunities go far deeper than most of those who look at this stuff on the surface realize because so many others up stream as well as in other fields depend on their livelihoods and job creation by those in the automation business and the success of that business ,. . as the automation industry booms everyone up stream , down stream and assiciated with all those companies grow and need all kinds of staff

i couldn't even count all the hands that touched ,designed , picked ,packaged and handled those automation parts before it was even a robot .

there are likely just as many people involved after the sale of those parts as well . collection people , a/r dept's, accounting dept ,legal depts ,etc all tied in to those automation wholesalers that just sell components to the industry .

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...fter_sale.html

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-21-2017 at 04:48 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 07:03 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
so shop at stores with the stocker/cashier... and don't use the automated/self process

but if people aren't willing to give up their own "convenience"; why would companies give up theirs?

Old 05-22-2017, 03:07 AM

the problem with these kinds of articles is they never consider the up stream and down stream effects on all the other business that deal with companies involved in automation products .

every business in the chain effects every other business's outcome they come in contact with .

you have the manufacturers end , the distribution and wholesaler end , the design and building of robotics and finally the installation companies . then you have the plants themselves cranking out more products and needing people in other areas as well the more business they do .

so it a whole vertical structure with each floor generating jobs and opportunity for every business they associate with even not in automation themselves .

if you are not in the field you do not realize what effect that growth has had on all kinds of business's around them in both related and non related fields .

you know what kind of success other companies have had associated with us because we went from 8 to a 100 million dollar company ? huge .

we alone are pretty much responsible for the success of siemens new jersey office and all the people they needed to support us and our companies we own since we do tens of millions with them and are a high maintenance account for their resources ...

we are adding about 130 new people this year alone to just our company .

by the way i say our , but i was an employee for 20 years and am retired . but i still eat off the company because i work one day a week doing motor control training for them helping to train all the newbies they hire because demand for bodies is so high . i have been doing this training in retirement for 2 years now with no let up in sight as we keep buying more and more companies and bringing them under our banner .

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-22-2017 at 03:23 AM..

Old 05-22-2017, 07:07 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Years ago computers changed our lives at home and at work. There are no reasons to even begin to list the changes that occurred and are continuing to occur. Some people resisted the changes at least for a while.

Now it is clear that retailing is going through huge changes. Some people are unhappy and fighting the changes. Not me. I love the changes. Prices are much lower and internet buying is simple. At this point I rarely go to any stores except for food (almost exclusively Costco) and large household items (Home Depot or Lowes). I buy all my clothing online at a fraction of what I would pay in a store. For example I recently bought 10 polo shirts for a total of $33 dollars including the tax and delivery. The quality is great. I had endless choices of colors. I got exactly the weight and type of fabric I wanted. In addition I wanted a pocket and for some reason it is close to impossible to find a polo shirt with a pocket in a store regardless of price. I need tires for my truck. I was going to go to Sears after doing some research online. I ended up ordering the tires online from Sears and I will save over $100 on two tires.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:11 AM

i ordered snow tires for my jeep wrangler from tire rack on line . a local tire dealer does their intalls on your car .

i offered to give the local tire dealer the order at the same price .

he said he couldn't match tire racks prices even though they carry the same brands and do the install for tire rack .

Old 05-22-2017, 08:22 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i ordered snow tires for my jeep wrangler from tire rack on line . a local tire dealer does their intalls on your car .

i offered to give the local tire dealer the order at the same price .

he said he couldn't match tire racks prices even though they carry the same brands and do the install for tire rack .
But there are tire shops that have an agreement to use Tire Rack as a supplier and they can and do match and even beat the online prices. And then there is the big seller (Discount Tire) that won't give up sales to the online providers and will always match or beat prices.

And other retail chains (Best buy and others) that will always match an online price.

Brick and mortar is under pressure but fighting to stay competitive.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:27 AM

one large local chain said no good ,they couldn't match tire rack and they have an agreement as an installer . . i was surprised as they are one of the biggest on long island .

on the other hand when we had the house in pa a local tire dealer there did match them . but i don't want to get off subject here .

the point is technology is closing some doors in retail sales while opening up new opportunity in other industries and areas .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics