Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 11:12 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Simply eliminating the deduction would suddenly put millions of current homeowners behind the eight-ball. Having purchased their homes at prices that assumed a 25% or so tax subsidy, they will not be able to afford a sale to buyers who do not have access to such a subsidy. Instead of being a wealth-building strategy, home ownership would become a wealth-destroying strategy. That would nor be a positive thing.
I would wager very few people actually calculate their net costs prior to purchase or in reality much of an estimate. I believe mortgage Approvals are based on gross income too so the reality is most people are ignorant to the math, not that the perception alone might not force a negative outcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 11:33 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Free market, how do people own homes to even take a mortgage deduction?!?!? With the rent prices and evil landlords, how could they have ever broken free from the shackles?

Tax deductions don't drive home purchases. The tail doesn't wag the dog.

That is one of the reasons our home ownership rate has been falling since the housing bubble burst.

High rents, plus student loan debt, have delayed millennials from buying homes on the same timetable as earlier generations. It's simply taking millennials longer to accumulate a down payment and qualify for a mortgage than it took earlier generations.

As a pessimist, I see this trend continuing for the foreseeable future. I even envision a future in which housing tenure is intergenerational - if your parents own their home, you probably will as well; if your parents did not own a home, you probably won't either.

11 million renters spend at least half their income for shelter; they will not be buying homes any time in the foreseeable future, and this trend also is likely to get worse before it gets better.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:56 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Simply eliminating the deduction would suddenly put millions of current homeowners behind the eight-ball.
No reason the deduction couldn't be phased out slowly over a period of several years.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No reason the deduction couldn't be phased out slowly over a period of several years.

I'd simply grandfather existing loans, so that all existing mortgage loans continue to be covered until they are paid off or refinanced. i.e. you can continue to take the deduction until your current mortgage is normally paid off, but not if you refinance.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:03 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
more than half of homeowners can't even take the deductions for mortgage interest or real estate taxes since they can't itemize .

the wealthier folks can take the mortgage interest but not the real estate taxes if they are on the amt system .

almost 1/2 of all sales are cash today as well .so count those mortgage interest deductions out too . many buyers are boomer's retiring and relocating with the assets to pay cash .

in the end very little effect .

it is one of the things that sound better than it plays out for most Americans . many renters get the best tax break . they tend to have very few itemized deductions and get money back from the standard deduction that never had any offsetting money spent .
I would be very interested in your source about 1/2 of all real estate sales being in cash.
Is that nationwide or just your state?

Old 05-30-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
I would be very interested in your source about 1/2 of all real estate sales being in cash.

That's consonant with numbers I've seen and heard, locally and nationally.

Gobs of investor cash (foreign and domestic) coming in.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:24 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
But only unreimbursed medical expense above 10% of AGI are actually deductible anymore. It had been 7% for seniors, but that is scheduled to go away for 2017.
yep , and we easily hit that 7% . it was sad to see that number hit so easily . .

Old 05-30-2017, 04:29 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
it varies seasonally and yearly but it is generally between 50-25% most years .

"Nationwide, nearly 43% of all home sales in the first quarter of 2014 were all-cash purchases, up from nearly 38% in the fourth quarter of 2013 and 19% in the first quarter of 2013. The figure for the first quarter of 2014 is the highest since RealtyTrac began tracking all-cash sales in 2011."

43% of 2014 home buyers paid all cash - MarketWatch

Old 05-30-2017, 06:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm listening to conservative talk radio and these hosts are talking about proposed tax reform.

They just claimed that if the mortgage interest deduction were repealed, new home sales would tank, leading to economic losses (fewer jobs etc).

Really? I rather doubt that. Any data to support or oppose the claim?

Truthfully it's such a small amount that for me it doesn't do that much. I have a high enough income that it really is just a little help.
For example I go every 3 months and buy about 3-400 bucks worth of pet food and take it to my local shelter. It's about 1200 bucks a year. It's something I enjoy doing. I get to deduct I think $400 of that 1200. Maybe a bit less. I don't know. My tax guy does it. I'm not doing it so I can get the deduction. I'm doing it because I enjoy it. We have a few charities we donate to throughout the year. Even if I didn't get the deductions it's something I believe in. So I'll keep contributing

My interst rate is 3.5 on my house. Part of the reason I bought was because the rate was so low it was laughable. Si CEO I pay extra anyway I'm borrowing money for as close to free as I can. And I didnt have to elverage anything to do it.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:07 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
more than half of homeowners can't even take the deductions for mortgage interest or real estate taxes since they can't itemize .

the wealthier folks can take the mortgage interest but not the real estate taxes if they are on the amt system .

almost 1/2 of all sales are cash today as well .so count those mortgage interest deductions out too . many buyers are boomer's retiring and relocating with the assets to pay cash .

in the end very little effect .

it is one of the things that sound better than it plays out for most Americans . many renters get the best tax break . they tend to have very few itemized deductions and get money back from the standard deduction that never had any offsetting money spent .

We can itemize, but the past few years we've come out ahead taking the standard, anyways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics