Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 11:17 PM

661 posts, read 522,029 times

Advertisements

Do you think we were born too late, and that the economy will never be "great again"? I was born in 1991, I'm just sad for all the other adults my age and their children. The worse part is that there is nothing we can do to go back.

I am really sad to see all jobs being replaced by the robots and the AI.

I wish we can see another good age like America did at some point in the 20th century. Not going to happen as long as constant exponential improvement in robots and AI keep up. We can't physically stop it from happening (?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 11:24 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
I don't think America is going in a particularly good direction, but pretty much everyone looks at the past with rose colored glasses. In any case, wishing you were born at X time instead the time you were actually born is just a waste of time and energy.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:32 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I wish we can see another good age like America did at some point in the 20th century.
two world wars? diseases that can be cured via vaccines today?

how come everyone who says it was better before only mean for one group of people and only in a 10-20 year time span when a century has 100 years in it?

Old 01-14-2017, 12:48 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
You can work at Walmart in air conditioned comfort while collecting welfare. Our predecessors would have worked in harsh conditions in a factory with a alcoholic foreman breathing down your neck all day.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:40 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
two world wars? diseases that can be cured via vaccines today?

how come everyone who says it was better before only mean for one group of people and only in a 10-20 year time span when a century has 100 years in it?
Agree. I think it's human nature to pick and chose tidbits of "evidence" to support your foregone conclusion. The OP was so vague they didn't even mention what part of the 20th century America was great. I'm getting tired of hearing how good it was in the "good ole days" and then seeing people cherry picking time periods and things that supposedly made a prior time period such a great time to live. Sure, even I have nostalgia sometimes but I know that I'd never want to return to the past, except for maybe a quick visit.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:17 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,120,475 times
Sometimes I feel that way OP. I was reading this article yesterday and it really puts into perspective what the economy the past decade has done to our generation (you are my brother's age. I am a couple years older).

Millennials Are Falling Behind Their Boomer Parents - ABC News

Even though the economy has been a wreck (especially in Florida) for all of my 20s I don't think I would want to be born sooner. I think our generation is one of the most fascinating ever to exist. I'm happy to be a part of it.

If history repeats itself this decade of hardship should be followed by another decade or two of grand prosperity. I'm hoping for the best.

Last edited by Happiness-is-close; 01-14-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 01-14-2017, 08:54 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,595,618 times
I was born in the 80s and I don't wish it was any other time. Why? First it's pointless and second I can't really complain about my life. I also thing that people when reflecting on historical points tend to only look at the positives from that time which skews their perception

Old 01-14-2017, 09:13 AM

864 posts, read 867,727 times
OP, I would gladly trade you birthdays. You were born into a much better world than the generations that came before you. People have distorted views of the past depending on their own bias or whatever point they're trying to make. There are always ups and downs but overall the world gets better. Learn and work hard to make the most of it and you will be well off.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:16 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
know how people keep saying 60 is the new 40, and all that? how people can work longer/retire later...

the front end of that is why shouldn't the younger end also be "behind"? If people before started working after high school, their careers would pick up in their 20s.

today people spend more of their 20s in college than in past generations. Now people don't get out of school until 25 and it is normal. How many lost years is that from not having work experience? working the basic jobs a few years would put them in their 30s before they start their careers

30 is the new 20

this has nothing to do with how the economy is doing, people changed their life/work style from decades ago. while in college, most students aren't affected by the economy, it makes no difference how it is doing. Look at 2009, the college students didn't lose jobs they never had. really, all the recent college grads complaining about a late start, the 4-6 years of post high school "study" is the biggest reason for their late start.

if 2009 hadn't happened, and people weren't getting their career off the ground, think they wouldn't find some other excuse? how can they establish a career by 25 if they were in college at the same time?

Old 01-14-2017, 09:23 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,120,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
know how people keep saying 60 is the new 40, and all that? how people can work longer/retire later...

the front end of that is why shouldn't the younger end also be "behind"? If people before started working after high school, their careers would pick up in their 20s.

today people spend more of their 20s in college than in past generations. Now people don't get out of school until 25 and it is normal. How many lost years is that from not having work experience? Just working the basic jobs a few years would put them in their 30s before they start their careers

30 is the new 20

this has nothing to do with how the economy is doing, people changed their life/work style from decades ago. while in college, most students aren't affected by the economy, it makes no difference how it is doing. Look at 2009, the college students didn't lose jobs they never had.
Eh. It holds true for my family. My mom has a less competitive degree than I do, but she made more money and was a home owner years younger than I am now. My father was making more and a home owner before me as well and he only had a high school diploma. All I can do is go to work everyday and get in line waiting for the next boomer to retire so a dozen of us can apply for the few promotions available. I have also watched through out my roughly five year professional career jobs get automated and some jobs that used to require minimal or 1 year of experience now require 5 years or more experience. Something just doesn't feel right. It feels like companies have lost the desire to invest in their employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics