Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 11:52 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Then there are the waitresses at nightclubs. They do pretty darn well.
Sweet. But $300 a night is more typical, and you can live on it. Where did you get that receipt?

Old 06-07-2017, 12:41 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
I feel like every time I turn around, there is something that requires hundreds of dollars

I own my own home and a car and don't spend "hundreds of dollars" at every turn. Neither does anyone else I know.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:50 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Then there are the waitresses at nightclubs. They do pretty darn well.

I call bull ... nobody pays $10 for a Bud Light.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:22 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
It's a little late to wonder after 140-some posts, but I don't think "pure curiosity" gave rise to this or any other such thread. Google would have been an appropriate venue for "pure curiosity" inquiries, not City-Data.
Google doesn't provide conversation. Forums do.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:27 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I own my own home and a car and don't spend "hundreds of dollars" at every turn. Neither does anyone else I know.

Homeowners don't have to spend "hundreds of dollars" at every turn because they get to enjoy "free" consumption. I pay more to rent a room in an overcrowded (10 people) house than my next door neighbor pays to own a 3BR house.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
I call bull ... nobody pays $10 for a Bud Light.

Some people do at certain high-end venues; that's why Wynn Resorts is profitable.

p.s. I've seen that receipt elsewhere on C-D; it's probably been floating around on the internet.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:45 PM

926 posts, read 828,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're foolish, this isn't anything to be proud of. IDK who you're trying to impress, you can live well but you don't have to p**s away money,

I live in Southern CA and know a couple of well known actors both on TV shows. People who have assets well into the millions. One I was in a store with who said about an item "A $190 for that, are they insane?".... I was thinking to myself they could buy out the whole store and not make a dent in what they have. So even though they have millions, they just don't buy something because they can afford it.

In your situation you could get laid off( a recession is coming if you're paying attention), now what?

Point is, you don't have to spend everything you have.

IDK if you really save tens of thousands a year, but if you do, you could save a lot more and invest it than what you are currently doing.
Not trying to impress anyone.
I already do invest 401k and I still end up saving tens of thousands. I don't need to save more, I rather assist homeless vets and spend money on myself because I'm self-made.

I highly doubt a recession is coming, especially not in my industry. Some of you Americans have became snowflakes and don't know how to get out and work. It's always "no way, this sounds hard" or "This sounds boring". Thus is why certain industries are having hard times finding employees. Whatever happen to "getting a job to make money?".

If I make 72k and only spend 30k a year on myself, that isn't spending everything I have, not even 50%.

Also, neither would I pay $2 for a quarter.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:30 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Homeowners don't have to spend "hundreds of dollars" at every turn because they get to enjoy "free" consumption. I pay more to rent a room in an overcrowded (10 people) house than my next door neighbor pays to own a 3BR house.
My plumber, electrician, and handyman don't work for free. A new refrigerator, stove, washer and dryer, hot water heater, and microwave aren't free. I have had to replace the roof and the garage. If it's not hundreds of dollars at every turn, it's thousands.

While homeownership can be gratifying because you build equity and get to customize the house to the way you want it, don't try it on a budget that allows you to just barely make the mortgage payments.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:49 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Sweet. But $300 a night is more typical, and you can live on it. Where did you get that receipt?
Not my receipt. It is quite famous, though.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:19 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
I make 70-something, so less than you, but Inqlso live alone. I probably spend way more than you guys do combined seeing that you only have a $29 phone. I have a $1100 phone that will be replaced yearly ($130/month). I have 2 Smart TVs, both 4K, one 48' in my bedroom and 55' in my living room.
I drive an Audi A6 that isn't a lease and I will probably keep for 2-4 years. I only shop at Harris Teeter and Fresh Market and occasionally WalMart. All of my shoes are either Jordan's or LeBrons or ECCO. I can easily spend $750 at the mall on clothes and do it all again the next month. I also save tens of thousands of dollars a year.

The point is, I probably spend signifcanrly more than you do, I make less, I'm younger, and I'm not going broke, which means you're not going broke.

I'd like to see the breakdown.

$75k is what?
About $4,600 after taxes?

If you save $20k/year (minimum.... "tens of thousands")

That leaves a hair over $3k/month.

Sniff, sniff.... I smell something in that lifestyle claim....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
My plumber, electrician, and handyman don't work for free. A new refrigerator, stove, washer and dryer, hot water heater, and microwave aren't free. I have had to replace the roof and the garage. If it's not hundreds of dollars at every turn, it's thousands.
I work free. Put in a sink and fixed some other plumbing for my mother last month. Next week I'll be mudding my upstairs bedrooms.
I budget $40/month for replacement utilities, my microwave was $2 at the dump (they have a covered area where still useable goods are put.)
I was upset I had to pay $4 for my toaster at goidwill!
Bread machine was $2 at the thrift store...

My roof has a 40 year Warrenty, and I budget $100/month for house repairs on my $50k house (I was my own general contractor.)

I've been scrounging materials to build a 10x12 storage shed for a buddy to use. I'll have less than $200 in it. (Cleanout, auction, and Habatat for humanity) I told him there was no point in him paying to rent a unit while he looks for a house, just come out some weekend and help me run it up.

Sure it CAN cost.
Or not.

Up to you.
(I'll grant you most won't take this tact.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics