Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 08:59 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Maybe live in Bhutan. Or at least retire to Bhutan.
I wasn't aware that Bhutan allowed foreigners to move there. It's expensive and difficult to even visit. Maybe Ecuador or Costa Rica?

I looked into cheap places to retire, but I didn't think it made sense for me. If you want to live like a king and have lots of servants then you can do that on a much lower budget. But I can live the way I prefer in the US for nearly the same cost as anywhere and with less hassle.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:57 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
McDonald's and Starbucks are leaders in their sectors. I've flipped burgers (Hardee's) and delivered pizzas, and there was no non-wage compensation offered at the time.
I'd hazard a guess that you never asked.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:19 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
If the GI bill was "compensation for services rendered" then the government could give host of "free" benefits to anyone who graduated gradeschool and you could call that compensation as well.
Are you really that clueless to not see that JOB BENNIFITS are "compensation"?!?!?!!!

I guess next you'll be saying that work connected health insurance is welfare!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'd hazard a guess that you never asked.
Proof:

https://www.scholarships.com/financi...n-scholarship/

Old 06-14-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Are you really that clueless to not see that JOB BENNIFITS are "compensation"?
The GI bill was passed after the fact. It was a surprise bonus. Just because you had to be in military service for 90 days didn't make it a "job benefit".

Old 06-14-2017, 04:56 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
Credit card debt

Old 06-14-2017, 07:33 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
GI bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
A massive and massively successful welfare program.
If I'm not mistaken, it's nothing like it was in past decades.

Quote:
When I lived on <$5k/yr I lived in my truck. On $15k/yr I saved up for a 20% down payment and bought a $160k house with my wife (15yr loan). We split expenses 50/50 so my share of that is around $600/mo including utilities, insurance, taxes, maintenance, etc.
Quote:
I think living in a vehicle is very viable and realistic. Many options. A couple years I worked at Bryce Canyon for 7 months and drew unemployment while I camped in the desert for the rest of the year. Made enough in those 2 years to last me about 8 years of not working at all.

I wouldn't have guessed one can live in a vehicle anymore. I acquired the impression law enforcement gets on people who do that.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I wouldn't have guessed one can live in a vehicle anymore. I acquired the impression law enforcement gets on people who do that.
I did it mostly on BLM and NF land far from other people. Never had a problem. In town or on private property there is certainly a risk. I camped for 2 years a few miles outside of Temecula, in an abandoned luxury RE development (early 90s). When I worked at Bryce I had housing on site.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:28 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Are you really that clueless to not see that JOB BENNIFITS are "compensation"?!?!?!!!

I guess next you'll be saying that work connected health insurance is welfare!?!

Proof:

https://www.scholarships.com/financi...n-scholarship/
Are you so clueless to think that the world "benefits" is spelled "BENNIFITS?"

Old 06-15-2017, 02:29 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
How often are people actually buying tires? In the last 17 years, I've replaced 4 tires! I get a new vehicle normally before it needs tires. And it's not like people buy tires every month or every year. And no one has any idea what someone's vehicle payment is! I know many people who lease vehicles and have REALLY LOW payments....much lower than mine, but a lease doesn't work for me because of my mileage and I'm hard on vehicles. I don't buy SUV's for showing off. I use that sucker!
I buy tires every year.

I know how much people's vehicle payments are because they tell me.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:41 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,016,633 times
Quote:
The GI bill was passed after the fact. It was a surprise bonus. Just because you had to be in military service for 90 days didn't make it a "job benefit".
Correct. The Servicemen’s Readjustment Act of 1944 was a welfare program, pure and simple. Its housing, unemployment, and education benefits were much needed at the time and helped millions of servicemen return, adjust, and assimilate smoothly into post-war civilian society. The programs were reasonably well designed, funded, and implemented, but it was all welfare all the time, no matter how anyone tries to slice it.

Last edited by Pub-911; 06-15-2017 at 04:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics