Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:14 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,474,479 times

Advertisements

Hmmm...My uncle may find this favorable. On limited vet income and utilizes Amazon,since he can't get out much.
Some honest folks who can find the discount doable may sign up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 10:10 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,027,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
This is Amazon firing a cruise missile at Walmart and Dollar Tree. The poor shop at Walmart and Dollar Tree. The discount on Amazon Prime is a way to take business from Walmart & DT. We'll see if it is successful.
There are holes in these assumptions. I don't do Wal-Mart at all, but I am a regular patron at Dollar Tree, and I'm about as far from "poor" as one can get. We've meanwhile been saving with Amazon Prime for many years, so it would be nice to see that door held open to people less well off than we are.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Apparently, at least one conservative radio talk show host is outraged...but isn't this classic capitalism here?

Amazon is offering a discounted rate on its Prime membership for people who receive government assistance.

Amazon Offers Prime Discount to Those on Government Benefits
There is more than one outraged. I guess you can call it classic capitalism because to keep up with the competition Amazon had no choice. The problem, please explain why people on government assistance need to purchase via the net? Unless, of course they are truly disabled and are shut ins. What are we going to give away next, a new car to everyone Uncle Sam sends welfare or food stamps to? We don't need to encourage those needing assistance to spend more money by just signing on to their computers and buy!

Old 06-08-2017, 11:29 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,474,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There is more than one outraged. I guess you can call it classic capitalism because to keep up with the competition Amazon had no choice. The problem, please explain why people on government assistance need to purchase via the net? Unless, of course they are truly disabled and are shut ins. What are we going to give away next, a new car to everyone Uncle Sam sends welfare or food stamps to? We don't need to encourage those needing assistance to spend more money by just signing on to their computers and buy!
I agree with you on the principle to curtail further poor decision making by any consumer.

Since you repd my post with a semi quasi response, Let me share with you that My uncle is an injured war vet, so Yes It is in his interest to utilize an at home delivery service. Be it amazon or a pharmacy. Sorry that it wasn't made clear. Its telling that you are on a mission to outcast certain low income families ....
I've walked the path of needing assistance, I've paid in and consider it a resource when circumstances warranted it.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:43 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,193,807 times
Amazoning.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:24 PM

303 posts, read 595,964 times
Most of the people that qualify for Food Stamps or Welfare likely use another person's AP membership anyway, so I'm not sure that they are going to be able to get the amount of new subscribers that they hope they will. I imagine AP membership is on par with how people share HBO or Netflix accounts.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:10 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,027,401 times
I find endlessly fascinating the numbers of people who will claim to be intimately familiar with the habits of millions of other people. I just can't help wondering if they aren't getting all this stuff straight from the disinformation media.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:01 AM

303 posts, read 595,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
I find endlessly fascinating the numbers of people who will claim to be intimately familiar with the habits of millions of other people. I just can't help wondering if they aren't getting all this stuff straight from the disinformation media.
Woah there, friend. I'm just saying that I wasn't always blessed enough to take in a good income, and I'm still friends with a lot of people I knew back in the day, and I've been asked several times if they can use my Prime/Netflix/Hulu accounts.

Not speaking for all of America but anecdotally of my own varied experience with people below the poverty line.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:21 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,446,321 times
That is price-fixing (discrimination) even though we let colleges get away with it.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:46 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,173,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, capitalism at work, and great marketing. I would consider this a cunning plan by Amazon to entice Walmart people into the Amazon fold, increasing business greatly with just a minor reduction in their revenue. At $5.99/month, the low income people are saving only $27.12 over the $99 annual fee, but it looks good and many will go for it as though it's a huge deal. I wonder if they can avoid Seattle's new soda tax by getting their coke and Mountain Dew from Amazon?
go look at the price of Soda on Amazon. They very clearly don't want you buying cheap stuff that is heavy on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Dew-.../dp/B000R9AKYU

$16 for a 12 pack of Mountain Dew. I'd rather pay the soda tax.

but that's a deal, because a 12 pack of Diet Coke is $18.95.

Or you could go with the 2-liter option as that's usually a bit cheaper. a 2 liter of MD is $4.99.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics