Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:36 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why are you paying for gas anyway? Don't you have to use public transportation?

Hypothetical gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If you buy $1 worth of goods from Amazon, you get $1 worth of value. The processing fee paid by Amazon in no way diminishes that.

If Amazon builds their card processing fees into their pricing - which they presumably do - consumers don't get $1 of value, they get value somewhere in the neighborhood of 98 cents.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
The differing merchant fees affect Amazon's profitability, they don't result in one customer "receiving" money from another customer.

This is something that is pretty easy to "know for a fact."

While one consumer does not directly receive cash from other customers, there is a value in differential.

In order to be profitable, Amazon MUST bundle their costs - including card processing fees - into their pricing. So when a consumer spends $1 on Amazon they are really getting about 98 cents in value.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Differing prices for gasoline based on cash or credit purchase are rare these days, and happen in rather limited locations. It is certainly not the norm across the country.

Okay, I happen to live in one of those locations, so my perception is that is is the norm.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
How do you know this?

I ask not to be argumentative, but because this differs wildly from what I have observed.

I think the distribution "EBT users" is bimodal and dissimilar, hence an observer's perception is driven largely by which mode they are observing.

Probably the vast majority of EBT dollars are spent by parents (TANF, SNAP). Childless adults (seniors, disabled, bums) represent a large proportion of users but receive lower benefits on average.

It is likely that EBT spending by parents is largely driven by children and inherently wasteful. Unless hampered by substance abuse issues, childless adults probably are much more frugal and responsible with their EBT spending. Abusers are reckless and dangerous in their quest for a fix.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:04 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What I meant to say is that all "card processing fees" are funded by customers. Amazon makes more profit on my $N purchase than they make on a credit card user's equivalent $N purchase. I'm tired of getting inferior value for my dollar.
If you want to try to determine Amazon's margin in your latest pursuit of your victim high, you've got to take it further than just credit card processing fees. Some products have less (or possibly negative/no) margin on shipping, some have more costs with warehousing or handling, some might be higher margin products just by current market conditions, etc. you cannot just claim that someone using a credit card is getting more value unless they are ordering the same thing at the exact same time to the same address.

Of course this is all silly, the value of a product from a consumer's perspective has two variables: what is the product and how much did it cost.

Quote:
Hypothetical gas.
You know you've got a persecution complex when you're complaining about the injustice you experience in the purchase of a product that you don't even actually purchase.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:04 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
If Amazon builds their card processing fees into their pricing - which they presumably do - consumers don't get $1 of value, they get value somewhere in the neighborhood of 98 cents.
I think you're thinking too much. lol.

If I buy from any other seller, the cost of CC processing i built into their overhead as well.
By going online with Amazon or any other, I avoid having to travel locally to buy. Surely more than 2 percent savings there.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:38 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
If you buy $1 worth of goods from Amazon, you get $1 worth of value. The processing fee paid by Amazon in no way diminishes that.
^^^ +1 ^^^ great post. Can't rep you though without being more promiscuous with my repping.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 06-15-2017 at 09:50 AM..

Old 06-15-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Hypothetical gas.
I don't know if there's an app for that, but there's a pill.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Untrue. Value is created by the transaction. By definition, anyone who pays $1 for a good or service receives at least $1 of value. In most cases, they receive more than $1 of value -- this is called consumer surplus. There is also a producer surplus on the flip side of the transaction.

By definition, if a good only provides 98 cents of value to a consumer yet is priced at $1, no transaction will take place and no value will have been created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics