Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Question 1:The US should increase spending now on roads, railways, bridges and airports (new project
Strongly Agree 42 60.87%
Agree 16 23.19%
Uncertain 3 4.35%
Disagree 2 2.90%
Strongly Disagree 6 8.70%
No Opinion 0 0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 03:27 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times

Advertisements

Question 1:The US should increase spending now on roads, railways, bridges and airports (new projects & maintenance)

Why or Why Not?

Choices include Strongly Agree, Agree, Uncertain, Disagree, Strongly Disagree, No Opinion

A panel of top economists at top research universities weighed in on this question; 45% disagreed, 26% were uncertain, and the remaining 19% agreed or strongly agreed.

Representative of the disagree-ers: "Long term investments should be timed strategically, when the economy is slowing --not at 4.3% unemployment"

Representative of the agree-ers: "The need to improve infrastructure in the US is independent of Keynesian stimulus reasons. We now have low interest rates so now is a good time. But how we choose which projects get done is very important.

Representative of the uncertain: "I am sure there are very useful projects. I am not sure those are the ones that would get funded."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 04:43 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
Railroads are and should be privately/corporately owned.

Airports should be owned and financed by the locales they serve.

Interstate roads and bridges rate federal $$, state R&B state $$, County/municipal local $$.

Use the tax money where it is collected.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:23 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Why or Why Not?
Because the federal government needs to get out of the infrastructure business. States need to take over and do whatever is necessary including raising taxes, if necessary. The federal government needs to quit the federal gasoline tax and quit lording over the States.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:45 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,345,141 times
Major Infrastructure spending increases need to be saved for the next recession not when we are sitting at full employment. Although overall I'm for it over the ridiculous military spending we are obsessed with.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:53 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,937 times
Railroads once were privately and corporately owned. It didn't work out very well in the end.

If we stopped using blue-state taxes to support red-state programs, there would be a lot of collateral damage.

States are junior partners on the US organization chart. The founders were for good reason tired of clowns like Rhode Island. Hence the push for strong central government in Philadelphia in 1787.

Like gardens, infrastructure needs regular care and tending to.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:01 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Railroads once were privately and corporately owned. It didn't work out very well in the end.

If we stopped using blue-state taxes to support red-state programs, there would be a lot of collateral damage.

States are junior partners on the US organization chart. The founders were for good reason tired of clowns like Rhode Island. Hence the push for strong central government in Philadelphia in 1787.

Like gardens, infrastructure needs regular care and tending to.

Railroads have always been privately owned. They remain so to this day.........

Old 06-07-2017, 08:48 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
As much as I dislike tolls and fees the best infrastructure improvements I have seen in the past few decades are public / private projects. Clearly we need to move forward and throwing money at government alone does not seem to get the job done efficiently. Yes we need investment in both funding and methodology.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:58 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Railroads have always been privately owned. They remain so to this day.........
Yes, of course. What was I thinking? Giant holding companies dependent upon public subsidies and protections from antitrust violations are exactly what we had over all those years. And our major investment banks are unchanged as well.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:13 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,483 times
Every time I leave and come back to the US, I cry and cry about the crumbling infrastructure we have and the politicians who basically don't give a **** about it.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:28 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,130 times
I agree that US should spend more on refurbishment of infrastructure. They should also look at reducing the cost of building anything in the US. Forget about comparing with China or India, our whole cost of construction is massively overpriced when we compare to Europe or Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics