Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 08:59 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
The guy claims he worked on the Council of Economic Advisers from the Carter Administration through the Clinton Administration. But he seems to have little grasp of economics. My guess is that, if he is telling the truth, it was in the mail room. But I doubt even that.
No, not at CEA, though another former student of mine does currently serve in a senior position there. As you have meanwhile recalled incorrectly from all of about three weeks ago, I served as an economic advisor to the President for about 15 years between 1978 and 1993, this in contradiction of silly reactionary belief that I was not so much as born yet as of 1980.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:46 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCity56 View Post
Agreed - all parents send their kids to the best schools they can either by sending them to private schools or by choosing to live in the most expensive neighborhoods they can so their children will attend the best public schools. It doesn't matter if you're conservative or liberal.
People can deduct what they pay in real estate taxes and what that means

If you have a large house or mansion worth a lot of money you pay higher real estate taxes and you can write that tax off against your federal taxes, in other words, people reduce their taxable income by deduction local taxes and the tax payer across the U.S. subsidizes high tax area's, for example in NY and CA.

Whiie eliminating mortgage interest deduction won't happen, Trumps tax plan may do away with the real estate tax deduction and if they are not forced to back off we will hear a lot of screaming from people who own mansions or who live in high tax areas like NY or CA.

Last edited by petch751; 06-18-2017 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-18-2017, 10:04 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Nowhere did I say it was impossible to move up in class and that nobody could do it but it's far from commonplace. The people who do it tend be extremely intelligent and have either a very strong marketable ability/skill or were able to attend a high ranking university where they make connections. Most of Europe has higher levels of upward social mobility than the US. The way a country stays great is by looking at our problems and working to always become better.
More nonsense. My husband's family is from Europe. I know tons of people from France too. What Europe has is downward mobility. Trust me on this. I've seen with my nieces and nephews in Europe.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
The story of Jeff Bezos is not typical. It is the quintessential outlier.
And it also an outlier that you need to know somebody inside a corporation to get a job.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Let me get this straight, an Oxford educated Brit who happens to be a NY Times writer is pontificating to the rest of us about privilege?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
It shows the education is crap over in UK judging by the way this article is written.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:09 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCity56 View Post
Agreed - all parents send their kids to the best schools they can either by sending them to private schools or by choosing to live in the most expensive neighborhoods they can so their children will attend the best public schools. It doesn't matter if you're conservative or liberal.
Taxpayers could pre-pay the next installment of their property tax before the end of the year in order to boost their itemized deductions. For example, the spring property tax installment could be paid in the winter before the year ends. This would increase the amount of property tax paid during the year, thereby increasing the amount that can be deducted. Property taxes are reported as an itemized deduction on Schedule A reducing taxable income on federal taxes.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:46 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Taxpayers could pre-pay the next installment of their property tax before the end of the year in order to boost their itemized deductions.
We do that, but note it only helps once. It does not help in the long run.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:48 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
People can deduct what they pay in real estate taxes and what that means

If you have a large house or mansion worth a lot of money you pay higher real estate taxes and you can write that tax off against your federal taxes, in other words, people reduce their taxable income by deduction local taxes and the tax payer across the U.S. subsidizes high tax area's, for example in NY and CA.
If you have a large house or mansion in NY or CA, you're likely paying AMT. If you're going to single out people for being subsidized, AMT payers would probably be at or near the bottom of that list.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Power is a zero-sum game.
Actually, it is the energy consumed per unit of time: joule/second, commonly known as a watt.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I have learned conservatives brag abut what they do.
That's quite a generalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics