Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 07:32 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

I think your posts are reflective of your understanding at this stage in your life.

Only responding to your post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Sold a gt for more than he bought it for, you're losing credibility with your anecdotes.
He is an older guy and his Ford GT purchase gave him enjoyment and bragging rights... and he came out way ahead... what is not to like?

Guess he could have bought a gold mine too...

I truly wish you luck and the wisdom that comes from experience.

My Grandfather had a sign over his desk for my entire life.

It read, "If you are so damn smart why aren't YOU rich"

For the rest of us we do the best we can and carry on.

I have too many residential properties so I've been doing 1031 exchanges into commercial... really no longer desire to buy anything with a bed... business to business rentals and NNN are so much more enjoyable... no one calling at midnight saying the toiler overflowed.

Contrary to popular opinion being a hands on property manager is a job... one that require a wide variety of skills... from people skills, business, construction and applicable code and legal... if it was easy, no one would ever sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 08:01 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,720,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I think your posts are reflective of your understanding at this stage in your life.

Only responding to your post...

He is an older guy and his Ford GT purchase gave him enjoyment and bragging rights... and he came out way ahead... what is not to like?

Guess he could have bought a gold mine too...

I truly wish you luck and the wisdom that comes from experience.

My Grandfather had a sign over his desk for my entire life.

It read, "If you are so damn smart why aren't YOU rich"

For the rest of us we do the best we can and carry on.

I have too many residential properties so I've been doing 1031 exchanges into commercial... really no longer desire to buy anything with a bed... business to business rentals and NNN are so much more enjoyable... no one calling at midnight saying the toiler overflowed.

Contrary to popular opinion being a hands on property manager is a job... one that require a wide variety of skills... from people skills, business, construction and applicable code and legal... if it was easy, no one would ever sell.
A broken clock is right two times a day. I can see the family resemblance.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Did you know it's colder in the Midwest sometimes than the surface of mars?
That's lovely for the Midwest and Mars. I don't live in either. Again, I'm fine with the weather where I live. I purposely moved here almost 5 years ago. Have no intention of ever leaving the area unless transferred by my husband's job and neither one of us would go willingly v

Old 07-30-2017, 09:21 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
After the initial rush there was a sweet spot price wise... he had it brought in from a distant dealer which helped... sticker was like 140k and he paid 160k and sold it for 210k... maintenance was included and it was still under warranty...

Again it is knowing how to buy and when to buy... he has always done well with cars... owning them and later selling... all the way back to the original GT40's and Cobra Roadsters of the 1960's.

Remember when he bought the economy was roaring and when he sold in 2011 it was depressed... none the less a 50k profit in 5 years with bragging rights... what is not to like?

A burger flipper knowing how to buy and when to buy would not have been able to buy a GT. Knowledge is overrated where Cash is King.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That's lovely for the Midwest and Mars. I don't live in either. Again, I'm fine with the weather where I live. I purposely moved here almost 5 years ago. Have no intention of ever leaving the area unless transferred by my husband's job and neither one of us would go willingly v
Ah so you have burning hot weather... south/desert? Or **** east coast hurricane weather?

Old 07-30-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
He could have bought bonds and made more of a profit.
You can't drive a pile of bonds.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Ah so you have burning hot weather... south/desert? Or **** east coast hurricane weather?
Neither one. I live in the Northeast. Hurricanes don't make it this far inland and don't impact the entire East Coast. They don't happen all the time either.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:55 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:

I think you have identified the problem... you do not know what you do not know.

Paid 160k for his 2006 Ford GT and sold it 5 years later for 210k... 50k plus the fun and pleasure of owning it.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Most six-year-old cars are worth about a third of their original sticker price, and even most high-performance exotic cars lose substantial value over that amount of time.
But one carmaker created an automobile that broke all the normal rules and that is -- six years after its introduction -- actually worth more than its original price. And it wasn't any fancy European ultra-luxury brand, either. It was Ford Motor Co. (F, Fortune 500)

The Rising Ford GT Market: History of Ford GT40
You are arguing with someone who lives at home with mommy and thus limited life experience. Worse permabear thinks they actually know something and loves to make incorrect statements they can't back up.
People who know cars know that the original and new version of the ford gt sells for more than the original price. Many limited and once common older cars are collectible and sell for way more than what they were when new. From another post I know you had a couple I'll bet you still had now.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
You can't drive a pile of bonds.
It's much cheaper to maintain.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Neither one. I live in the Northeast. Hurricanes don't make it this far inland and don't impact the entire East Coast. They don't happen all the time either.
Sandy says hi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics