Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:56 PM

125 posts, read 81,391 times

Advertisements

If you have something positive to contribute, please do
Currently profiting $250 a month off of Ebay. Yes I know, it's measly
75%-80% of this is earned while on the clock.
Adding $1.18 per hr to my wage going into my Paypal.
I spend about 1.5 hrs twice per week= 3 hrs week at work on ebay

Considering my work is done. Always is...and more, this is fine with my employer.
A co worker with less responsibilities works for H&R block seasonally doing taxes while on the clock
She brings in an average of $100 extra dollars per mo (averaged out monthly)
We work two 18.5 hr shifts per week (6.5 hrs a night is devoted to sleeping in the bed provided) yet remain on call in wee hrs. Hardly ever woken up. And sometimes cover others shifts

My wage is $13 per hr w/great medical & dental benefits, 4% 401k match, 6 paid holidays, 2.5 x more PTO than Calif law requires & $12.50 a week gas re-embursement for travel costs one way to work.
$1.18 ebay earnings brings me up to $14.18 per hr.
Jan 1 2018, I'll receive a raise of .50 cents per hr+ a 3% COLA raise (.39 cents per hr)+ a little more Paid time off. = 89 cents raise per hr + about one extra week paid time off. Probably keeps up with inflation here in our high COLA area of CaliforniaMy goal is to make $16 per hr by the end of this year. I also save $100-$150 per month shopping at Grocery Outlet in this town on my way home. Otherwise stores are more expensive here in our area.

Does anyone have a side gig they work while on the clock??

Can I ask how much it brings in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:57 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
That's great that your employer is okay with you working your ebay business while you're working your job.

It's interesting that you would calculate your profits by doing the math to add to your hourly wage. I've never seen anyone do that.

However, when you file your taxes, you will need to report the $3000 profit differently by using a Schedule C and be prepared to pay additional self-employment taxes.

I don't know anyone else that has time on their regular job to even ask if they can do their ebay business on company time. My husband has a side business selling on Etsy and sells about $600-800 a month, but he does that on weekends and evenings.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That's great that your employer is okay with you working your ebay business while you're working your job.

It's interesting that you would calculate your profits by doing the math to add to your hourly wage. I've never seen anyone do that.

However, when you file your taxes, you will need to report the $3000 profit differently by using a Schedule C and be prepared to pay additional self-employment taxes.

I don't know anyone else that has time on their regular job to even ask if they can do their ebay business on company time. My husband has a side business selling on Etsy and sells about $600-800 a month, but he does that on weekends and evenings.
That's wonderful about your husband doing Etsy. Pretty good chunk of $$, good for him How long has he been averaging that amount... if I can ask?

Thinking about it, you're probably correct. Most people probably don't have the downtime I do. In the beginning it was not so.

Selling on Craigslist occurs every couple of months too, I just remembered. Usually meeting up a few minutes before shift starts to sell something. More people in this town than my own. But that technically, isn't done on the clock.

My Caseload is 6 clients but they are doing so well, which I expected as time passed, that it freed up time for me. It was an absolute zoo when I first came on. Everyone else's caseload is 5 Clients. And I complete alot more paperwork per shift to where there isn't anything left to do.

Hope it keeps up with your husband.~ thanks for the inspiring reply

Last edited by TruckeeWannabee; 08-28-2017 at 12:25 PM..

Old 08-28-2017, 05:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
You know, even if I was finished with "my own" work, being a team player, I'd move on to helping someone else do their work, while I was on the clock.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You know, even if I was finished with "my own" work, being a team player, I'd move on to helping someone else do their work, while I was on the clock.
You mean just like what I posted already?

My Caseload is 6 clients, one more Client than what everyone else has but they are doing so well, which I expected as time passed, that it freed up time for me. It was an absolute zoo when I first came on. And I complete alot more paperwork per shift to where there isn't anything left to do.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:24 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I also sell on Ebay and I would log in every so often to check my items for sale, etc. I really only took a few minutes here and there so it was no big deal. Since I never would take a break and eat my lunch at my desk I didn't feel it was a big deal.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:30 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
That was a "third-rail," automatic kick out the door where I worked.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I also sell on Ebay and I would log in every so often to check my items for sale, etc. I really only took a few minutes here and there so it was no big deal. Since I never would take a break and eat my lunch at my desk I didn't feel it was a big deal.
That's pretty convenient

Usually there is too much to do when Clients are awake so I end up eating dinner closer to 10pm or later. No official breaks or lunch. After 7pm, I am only with one client overnight and things start to slow down. I can snack a little real fast to combat hunger pains, drink water, etc..

Old 08-28-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
That was a "third-rail," automatic kick out the door where I worked.
She's probably more valuable than that, especially working through lunch.
Pretty good deal for her employer
Otherwise typically, they'll find any reason to boot out poor performing employees

Old 08-28-2017, 09:48 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
I'm always a bit (incredibly) jealous of people who have jobs that pay them whether they do work or not for the whole time they are there. I'm 100% self-employed. I only get paid when I am actively working... not even paid breaks or lunch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics