Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 10:10 AM

723 posts, read 1,005,106 times

Advertisements

Will the current depression in the antique market last? Will Milennials ever appreciate antiques?
I think that most antiques with the exception possibly of cars and definitely guns, will continue to drop in value.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:13 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
If the millennials I know are representative, I think the antique market will continue to sink. Millennials seem to have less interest in showing off their possessions, less interest in houses and less interest in furniture and furnishings. I also have a lot of boomer friends who are downsizing. Their kids, millennialls or older, do not want the stuff.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:28 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
For me, antiques are a mixture of history and art. I love the quality of things made in the past, love real wood and I appreciate the handmade aspect. I appreciate how the style reflects the period in which it was made or the area in which it was made. Antiques make me think of times in the past, historic eras, and of things that must have occurred in the life of that antique. (If that antique clock could only speak!)

Since they were mostly not mass produced, a good sense of design often went into them. So it makes me happy just to look at something that is beautiful as well as useful. If the antique is a homemade primitive, I think of who might have made it and I picture them sitting there, making it.

But I don't think the millennials take much interest in history. Schools can't even teach very much history, they are so caught up in dealing with drugs, guns, unruly students, that there isn't time. Only a few kids will learn to appreciate history and thus, appreciate antiques.

Then there's the distraction of all the techie items that interest them more and take what money they have.

Of course, they also say they don't want to settle down and stay in one place either, so all they want is cheap, portable or throwaway furniture.

Add it all up and, no, most will never appreciate antiques. I think it's a sign of our country losing its identity and culture that we no longer appreciate our history and study it. A lot of people only care about cheap Made in China objects and do not revere something of quality that was made in the past. We've become a shallow throw away society.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:42 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
Will the current depression in the antique market last? Will Milennials ever appreciate antiques?
I think that most antiques with the exception possibly of cars and definitely guns, will continue to drop in value.
Don't expect millennials to be all that interested in guns. The vast majority of them live in cities and have never been hunting. The current runup in used gun prices is driven by affluent boomers. While guns sell briskly, the actual number of Americans who own a gun is declining. Expect used gun prices to drop as the boomers die off.

Antique cars are a separate issue. Unlike guns, most old cars get recycled for scrap. Their value is in their rarity. Antique tractors have the same appeal.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:46 AM

547 posts, read 506,803 times
Don't leave out antique motorcycles.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:20 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
But I don't think the millennials take much interest in history......
Then there's the distraction of all the techie items that interest them more and take what money they have.

Of course, they also say they don't want to settle down and stay in one place either, so all they want is cheap, portable or throwaway furniture.

Add it all up and, no, most will never appreciate antiques. I think it's a sign of our country losing its identity and culture that we no longer appreciate our history and study it. A lot of people only care about cheap Made in China objects and do not revere something of quality that was made in the past. We've become a shallow throw away society.
It seemsmost of your thoughts are highly negative. I look at this change in a more positive manner. Younger people are not enthused about collecting stuff....solid wood or otherwise. Being able to move and to experience new things is much more important. If it is "shallow" to throw stuff away, is it vain and ostentatious to hang on to a lot of material possessions? They can always go to a museum if anyone is interested.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:13 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
There are niche collector markets that will maintain some value. I've been consistently amazed at the market for comic books. The 1960s comics only seem to grow in value and given the popularity of things like ComiCon, will probably continue.

Other things where there's an enthusiast market - like musical instruments, baseball cards, vintage books, etc... should continue to hold value. "Fashionable trends" will also have an impact. I just read an article about an increase in interest for old typewriters... apparently a lot of young writers have enthusiasm for the old "clack-clack-ding!" sounds and the decision-making that has to go into a typewritten page that you can't easily edit - that they think helps them write. Antique shops that deal in typewriters and maintaining them are doing well. http://www.columbian.com/news/2017/j...w-enthusiasts/

Also vintage vinyl records. Things to decorate "midcentury modern" houses are still popular, although the millennials like less of the stuff.

But millennials and Gen Z are simply not as interested in collecting "stuff" or "curios" for their own sake. There are several reasons for this... 1) in the age of digital you don't need hard copies of stuff or the furniture infrastructure to hold/maintain/display them. 2) The millennials are house poor. The baby boomers came of age during a series of building booms that held housing prices down. Millennials don't have the space or money to hoard as much stuff. 3) They move more so stuff is more of a burden. Yes it makes sense to buy Ikea furniture for cheap and just throw it away when you move rather than spending thousands on a moving truck.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:03 PM

419 posts, read 387,753 times
I don't think it's dead forever because everything is cyclical. It may take several years for antiques to make a comeback. It wouldn't surprise me if the kids of Millennials end up going against their parents' values and go back to loving antiques. Antiques would be unique to this up-and-coming generation and, therefore, desirable.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:10 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
We are currently in a depression?

Old 07-10-2017, 04:46 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,008 times
I have had part time Antiques business for 40 plus years...buying, selling and restoration.

I am a 'baby Boomer'.

in the 1970s to early 1980s we could hardly keep up the demand..everyone of our contemporaries wanted good solid, real wood, funky old Oak and Walnut furniture...
Round Oak tables, Bow Front china Cabs...Hoosier cupboards, oak Ice boxes...muti-purpose furniture..use it anyway you wanted..

No one young wants this stuff now..:-(

Thank God the 'collector soul' is still in young people..believe me, they have their 'wants'..
As someone has mentioned...the 'niche' market is always there for we providers..you just have to find out what 'they' like.

We have never made a fortune, but the part time business was always fun and profitable..

Bringing back to life old treasures, bought, traded, found curbside will alway be my passion and raison d'être.
As long as someone is collecting something, I will continue to try and be the source and 'go to guy'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics