Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 10:07 AM

10,500 posts, read 5,557,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
state income taxes are progressive in most states .other taxes like sales taxes ,real estate taxes are more regressive since they are the same regardless of income .so lower incomes pay a higher percentage .
The part in pink is a contradiction. The part is blue is incorrect.

Edit to add: Oops! I mistakenly read this originally as real estate tax RATES are more regressive. . .

However, real estate taxes aren't regressive as they are applied based on assessed value of property, rather than income. Higher assessed value = higher tax. The rate isn't increasing as the assessed value decreases, which is what would have to happen for it to be regressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Hahaha! I simply rely on fact and reason. That's always been a good combination for me.
Progressive tax = tax rate increases as the amount subject to the tax increases.

Regressive tax = tax rate increases as the amount subject to the tax decreases.

What are some of these regressive taxes? Be specific.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Among states that have an income tax, a handful are actually progressive, while most end up being regressive due to using flattened rate schedules. These leave little or no difference between the effective rates on top and median levels of income. That's regressive all day long.
That's not what regressive means. I would have thought that an economic advisor to multiple presidential administrations would understand this. It appears I was wrong in my assumption.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:44 AM

4,224 posts, read 2,993,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That's not what regressive means.
LOL! It's all a matter of effect. Flat rates typically work to assure that tax burden declines as the tax base rises. Progressive is the opposite of that.

Let's Learn About Taxes

Quote:
I would have thought that an economic advisor to multiple presidential administrations would understand this.
Well, yes. But you've never been an economic advisor to anyone.

Quote:
It appears I was wrong in my assumption.
There's nothing really new in that now is there. Reminiscent of the whole "implied powers" thing, I'd say.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
LOL! It's all a matter of effect.
The word "regressive" means something, but it isn't a "matter of effect."

Quote:
Flat rates typically work to assure that tax burden declines as the tax base rises.
Flat tax rate of 10%. $1,000 is taxed at $100, $10,000 is taxed at $1,000, and $100,000 is taxed at $10,000. Tell us all about how that tax burden is decreasing.

Quote:
Let's Learn About Taxes
Even as described in the article, it's not regressive. An excise tax on gasoline, for example, is assessed on gasoline purchased, not on income. As the quantity of gas purchased goes up, so does the excise tax paid, and the rate isn't changing.

What you are talking about is disparate impact, not regressivity. There is an important difference. It's too bad that you don't understand it, but I'd be happy to explain it.

Quote:
Well, yes. But you've never been an economic advisor to anyone.
That's a very strange, and erroneous, conclusion that you have come to. Again, you couldn't be more wrong.

Quote:
There's nothing really new in that now is there. Reminiscent of the whole "implied powers" thing, I'd say.
You were clearly, demonstrably wrong about that. If you want to re-hash it, I'd be glad to again provide the beat-down.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:18 PM

5,902 posts, read 4,401,824 times
It's extra enjoyable to me listening to pub911 bumble around talking about taxes seeing as how that's what I do for a living at a high professional level. The economic garbage that spews forth is one thing, but when he or she gets going on taxes, it's a special treat.

See, normally people who actually do know a particular feild understand the depth of how much there is to know, know how much they don't know. But when you think you know everything about every topic....Haha. And then to never admit there ever could be an error in anything you say and to never ONCE admit to being wrong.

It's like a caricature. So glad for the ignore feature so I only need to see the garbage spew when someone quotes it.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:52 AM

The Red Caps do have a lot of new baggage to carry around today. The facts of course remain that while federal income taxes are progressive, most other federal taxes are regressive as are nearly all state and local taxes.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
The Red Caps do have a lot of new baggage to carry around today. The facts of course remain that while federal income taxes are progressive, most other federal taxes are regressive as are nearly all state and local taxes.
Simply repeating yourself doesn't make your "point" correct.

Why don't you address the example that I provided above?

Old 08-08-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Simply repeating yourself doesn't make your "point" correct.
It does when the points repeated are all correct to begin with, as they all are.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
It does when the points repeated are all correct to begin with, as they all are.
I know it is challenging for you to actually back up what you say, but why don't you give it a try. Here is what you posted:

Quote:
Flat rates typically work to assure that tax burden declines as the tax base rises.
And I provided the following scenario:

Quote:
Flat tax rate of 10%. $1,000 is taxed at $100, $10,000 is taxed at $1,000, and $100,000 is taxed at $10,000.
So, care to tell us all about how that tax burden is decreasing, or will you just continue your insistence that you're right, in spite of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics